Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old January 24th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #421
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
So, sorry if I genuinely offended you (and you're not just making me squirm again). I'm used to filthy people.
Who are you calling filthy?
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #422
Slash Rules!

Most of the people I've worked around. Especially when we get familiar with each other.

I remember a specific PA gig where we were outside a car dealership, and the DP leans over as a woman walks by and says "nice ass". that kinda stuff. It only gets worse from there.

It's just amazing what flies across an intercom on a multicam shoot.
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #423
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
I need to say that I don't necessarily command these rates, they are what I am offered when I work in key positions on network shows. I do set these same rates for my personal clients and I guess I've been lucky to get them so far because they are always happy with the end product.

Myself and others that I work with usually don't work half days because there's really no way to sell the other half. Now, in a busier market like LA, that may be different because there is so much work. Like a said earlier, it rarely if ever is as short as they say it will be for whatever reason(s) and you need to be covered if it goes over. If you agree to a lower rate for two hours and it goes over, guess what, you're working for free! This knowledge comes with experience and by getting screwed.

hello james,

it's not about the mula, (it is) it's about principles.

the first 1 1/2 years i was working for free, on the side. got expirience blah..blah..blah. since last year fall, i charge, have repeat customers, and an inventory with no way back anymore (anybody wants to listen to my better half?) so, i am setting some basics. have to, or give up.
when you say there is no half day, i guess you're right. there is no half day, since there is nothing realy what could be done the rest of the day, and who knows how long it may take.

my biggest downside is, i still don't edit.

greetings
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #424
Capt. Quirk

I got into this purely by mistake, about 6 years ago. I was in school, getting a Graphics degree because I like to create. Part of the course was Premiere, which they glossed over like everything else they taught ( I had to help the teacher get her Frames excercise to work in the Web portion!). Anyways, when I got married in 2001, a friend shot the event and handed me the tape. I sat down and edited it, added music... and was hooked.

Not long after that, I started hanging out with the SurfGuru.com crowd. They were taping surf and skate events, interviewing people, and putting the stuff on the web. I started editing their stuff, and would get a whopping $10 a tape. Being the really loose group they were, few of them knew what they were doing, but had fun doing it anyways. I learned how to shoot, so I could teach them, making editing easier for me.

A lot has happened between then and now. I still like doing what I do... I just don't do enough of it to make a living. But, I do everything that comes along, and hope to be able to do well someday. $200 a day, is a very good day right now.
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #425
Regular Crew

Keith, e-mail me man! I got an idea for you to drum up some funds. I just started doing it locally and it seems to be catching on.

I am forming a company just to handle these requests.

It's about 2 days of work, and should pay more than 200/day.
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #426
Capt. Quirk

You should have mail, man :)
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #427
Regular Crew

Here's a good one

This one has to be a joke.....right?

Reply to: gigs-128386063@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-25, 1:28PM EST

I'm in the middle of filming a great Sundance bound film, the crew work is being done by Interns macin' on cold pizza. The dailys have looked like crap the the sound sucks and we've had numirous accidents, and so now they are bitching about insurance. Can you help me?

I need a seasoned film maker to come in and train these people, they aren't stupid, they just don't know what they are doing. I'll cut you in for a back end part of the profit when the film gets picked up next year at Sundance.

* no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you help out a fellow film maker.

Wow...you made your movie with all unpaid interns, and so far it's *gasp* SUCKED? And you're planning on getting into Sundance....how?
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #428
Slash Rules!

That's just. . .pathetic.

When he says "Sundance-bound" does he mean the rejection bin?

And what's "macin'"?
Old January 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #429
Regular Crew

I believe he meant to type "macking", which is some sort of slang for "chowing down". In other words, he's been paying them with cold pizza. SUNDANCE, HERE WE COME!
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #430
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I got into this purely by mistake, about 6 years ago. I was in school, getting a Graphics degree because I like to create. Part of the course was Premiere, which they glossed over like everything else they taught ( I had to help the teacher get her Frames excercise to work in the Web portion!). Anyways, when I got married in 2001, a friend shot the event and handed me the tape. I sat down and edited it, added music... and was hooked.

Not long after that, I started hanging out with the SurfGuru.com crowd. They were taping surf and skate events, interviewing people, and putting the stuff on the web. I started editing their stuff, and would get a whopping $10 a tape. Being the really loose group they were, few of them knew what they were doing, but had fun doing it anyways. I learned how to shoot, so I could teach them, making editing easier for me.

A lot has happened between then and now. I still like doing what I do... I just don't do enough of it to make a living. But, I do everything that comes along, and hope to be able to do well someday. $200 a day, is a very good day right now.
Oh boy, the surfguru crowd. Are you a First Peaker? (OT) Sending mail shortly.
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #431
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ellis
Oh boy, the surfguru crowd. Are you a First Peaker? (OT) Sending mail shortly.
Nope... one of the few Floridians that doesn't surf. Chances are, if you were a regular to the site in 2001-2002, you watched one of the videos I edited. I probably did 30 of them for SG, and "taught" them how to shoot ;)
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #432
Inner Circle

Dolly, Jib, Camera, Cameraperson, $50 a day! Now raise your hands, How many of you bought all the above gear and have so little experience that you'll work on a music video for $50 a day.

And BTW he already has the shoot date and doesn't even have the above gear or camera person.

At that price, mr. producer, you might find someone to get the coffee but you better be paying for the coffee.

CAMERAPERSONS SOUGHT FOR MUSIC VIDEO - SOME PAY

Reply to: gigs-128526452@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-25, 9:11PM EST

We're shooting a music video in a few days and want several angles from each take. Thus, seeking camerapersons for said music video.

Shoot is this weekend. Pay is $50 per day.

Email details about your camera package. Prefer a Tripod Dolly in package if possible or jib, etc.
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #433
Regular Crew

Great site

I'm sure someone else posted this already....but here's a great site someone here might get a kick out of.

http://www.fu*kthatjob.com/ (not sure if i'd get booted for dropping an F-Bomb...so...yeah, fill in that blank)
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #434
Inner Circle

Low Pay Low Budget DV Films

I thought this was an appropriate article for this forum. I think links should be posted to craigslist around the country (world). It busts the fantasy of "we'll make a hit and make money then." Working for low/no money will yield low/no money over the long term. Own the distribution and maybe . . .

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...rss.technology
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #435
Slash Rules!

Or maybe those guys all own distribution systems, and you just don't know it. :-)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business