DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Is FrameForge worth buying for storyboarding? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/537015-frameforge-worth-buying-storyboarding.html)

Brian Drysdale September 28th, 2019 02:02 PM

Re: Is FrameForge worth buying for storyboarding?

It allows you to bury the exposition more, it's not just a talk, plus other locations allow sub text about the character's world and his relationships with other people, The words are only 7% of the information.

Ryan Elder September 28th, 2019 02:04 PM

Oh okay, but this is also a high profile media case, where the mayor is involved as well, so I thought the mayor could come in on the briefing or a scene like that. The mayor would not be hanging around the gun range or a coffee machine, right?

Also, what is it about another room that would bury the exposition exactly? If the conversation is the same, how is the room burying it? I thought I already have enough other scenes where it shows relationships and subtext, so I thought if I have it in this scene as well, I wouldn't be adding anything that is not already added in other scenes, that already have it.

Josh Bass September 28th, 2019 03:51 PM

Theyre saying you scrap briefing as currently written and make it a bantery conversation between core characters that lasts like a minute instead of 3.

Brian Drysdale September 28th, 2019 04:06 PM

The inspector not wanting the mayor anywhere near the case would be more interesting. Use that to bury the exposition.

Ryan Elder September 28th, 2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1953618)
Theyre saying you scrap briefing as currently written and make it a bantery conversation between core characters that lasts like a minute instead of 3.

Oh okay, well I already have scenes like this afterwards so I thought I was covered there. I just wanted the mayor to be in on it, since this high profile media case, is also the cities problem. I suppose I could write it so they don't want the mayor near it but I the mayor is still going to arrange a meeting with them anyway, I would think. I thought it would be more entertaining to see the mayor putting pressure on the police in person, rather than them just talking about it, and telling and not showing.

Brian Drysdale September 28th, 2019 05:33 PM

Given that they seem to be discussing the interrogation of a prisoner, the mayor is an unlikely person to have present at such a briefing.

Having the mayor getting too involved in police work might be a way to give the information as part of an argument between the inspector and the mayor. The mayor being concerned about his personal/town's image, while the inspector has little respect for him, but has to tolerate him.

Ryan Elder September 28th, 2019 05:52 PM

Oh ok, but there is no prisoner being interrogated in this scene, they are just going over the case and evidence.

Brian Drysdale September 29th, 2019 12:59 AM

From what you've said already, I assume how the prisoner is going to be interrogated is part of the briefing.

"Just going over the case and evidence" isn't dramatic, the scene has to be about more.

Ryan Elder September 29th, 2019 01:31 AM

Oh okay, well I still have to present the evidence to the audience in some way, so they know where the plot is at, don't I?

As for how the prisoner is going to be interrogated, the prisoner has exercised his right to remain silent, so he's not talking, which they mention when going over the situation as well.

Brian Drysdale September 29th, 2019 02:27 AM

There are lots of ways you can present the evidence to an audience in a film, having a talking head giving out information about the evidence to a group of people, possibly sitting around in stairs, is the least interesting or dramatic way of doing it.

Ryan Elder September 29th, 2019 02:41 AM

Oh okay. Well the crime is a kidnapping and the kidnappers sent in a video with their demands. I thought they would watch the video on a projector and talk about this as well, but should they watch it around a coffee machine or at a desk or something instead?

Brian Drysdale September 29th, 2019 03:24 AM

It's not the location, it's how you dramatically show a video and how the conflicts that result from it are revealed. If you show the video being recorded, you don't need to show all of it again, you need the differing demands of relatives, politicians, the media as relayed through the inspector's boss or in person and adding pressure onto the inspector during the scene and using the evidence to apply the pressure on him.

The first viewing of the video by the inspector and his team would make more sense, so you can get their first reactions, rather than a briefing when these have cooled down.

It's all pretty standard stuff in a film in this genre.

In the end, all this points out is that it's pointless asking people on a forum to supply.confirm a suitable shot list to cover a scene, since there are so many unknown variables that have an impact on how the scene is covered.

Ryan Elder September 29th, 2019 12:30 PM

Oh okay, well even though some of the officers have seen the video before, other major characters in the scene have not, so it's their first time, so I thought that was important. It is also still the audience's first time seeing it through the eyes of the characters seen it for the first time.

However, perhaps I could write it so that every character in the room is seeing it for the first time, but then I don't know how to get all those characters in the same room then, since I think at least a couple of them would have seen it before inviting everyone else to watch it. Or I could shoot individual scenes of these characters all seeing it for the first time, for each of them, but then that would mean more scenes to shoot, to get their first reactions, as oppose to shooting one scene, where they are all invited to watch it the same room.

But one thing that concerns me in terms of coverage, is if I decide to cut out a line of dialogue in post, how do you that still have continuity, if a character has now moved from here to there. Sure you have coverage from other angles, but if they do it in each shot, how do you have continuity if you want to cut a line.

You see lines cut from movies in TV all the time, so how do they do it, and still have continuity, if the blocking is the same in each shot?

Brian Drysdale September 29th, 2019 01:01 PM

It's not the other characters who are important, if the audience has seen it in earlier scenes, don't repeat the video again, come in near the end of the video or as late as possible if you really need this briefing scene

You'll have to work out the rest for yourself, there's enough information in this thread to solve all your problems. Think horizontally, not vertically, which seems to be what you're doing. If you don't understand that and it's use in scriptwriting , check it out online.

Ryan Elder September 29th, 2019 01:07 PM

Oh okay, I can try to work it out. And yes, this is the first time the audience sees the video.