How do you get this type of blue sunlight cinematography? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 10th, 2020, 01:34 AM   #91
Inner Circle

Re: How do you get this type of blue sunlight cinematography?

In order to have the sharp police procedurals you need to have sharp, well written dialogue, which, currently, you are weak at.

The live TV feed is basically the same as the two way mirror, which has been used in a number of police films.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2020, 01:51 AM   #92
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, I just wasn't sure if they would realistically send a live signal from the interview room to the prosecutor's office through cyberspace in case anyone tried to intercept the signal, to see what the witness had to say.

I will work on the dialogue and perhaps someone else can help polish it.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2020, 01:57 AM   #93
Inner Circle

You mean how courts have been doing it for years? As it’s a movie though, even if you can’t do something technically, you can in the movies. Like my own pet hate, magic radios that one moment have the goodies and baddies using them separately and privately, yet the next minute they all hear each other. Think Die Hard.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:01 AM   #94
also known as Ryan Wray

When do courts do them, or why? Do they want people possibly listening in, who are not suppose to be? Plus I wasn't necessarily thinking of having the villains tap the signal, if I write it that way, but I could have them do it.. I just doubted it would be realistic that they wound send a police interview through cyberspace that could be intercepted.
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:15 AM   #95
Inner Circle

UK courts have had the option of the defendant not being physically present for years, they have a live feed from the prison. The layout in their courts is different to US courts, they don't sit beside the attorney, they are in a dock when in a criminal case.It's commonly used for remand hearings.

Courts cases are open for anyone to attend, The press are also there. I would assume that Canada has basically similar rules, unless the case is "in camera". https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...private-camera
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:18 AM   #96
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but this is a interview with a witness in a police station, so it's not public of course. So would they be okay with sending out an interview to the prosecutor's office for him to view, if the interview is being sent to the prosecutor's office, and not a courtroom?
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:29 AM   #97
Inner Circle

You would need to set it up that the villains have had access to this on an ongoing basis.

How easy it would be to hack would depend on the system they've got, if it internet or intranet etc. If you tell the story probably no one is going to care about the possibility of hacking. It only become of interest if it's part of the villain's MO.

Or, you could just use a two way mirror on the interview room, it's dramatically more interesting.
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:36 AM   #98
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. And originally I was going to have the villains find out what she said another way, but I can use this way too, if it makes the scene more convenient.

The thing about the two way mirror, is I thought about that before and I saw 4 possible cons to it, but maybe I'm wrong:

1. It will be more expensive to find a location that has a mirror built into the wall, and should just shoot it in a room with a camera, cause it's easier and cheaper to shoot?

2. The mirror is outdated nowadays, since they just use a camera nowadays in real police stations.

3. Would the prosecutor bother to come all the way down to the police station for this? I mean prosecutors normally look at statements after they are taken, I am guessing, and I thought the prosecutor watching it on his office computer, was pushing it. So he would he come all the way down to see it it live, when he can just watch the statement on tape a littler later, even if it's just a few minutes later?

4. The witness they are interviewing is actually the victim of the crime. They interviewed her before, but this is some follow up questions after a new development. So would they interview her in a room that is a mirror room? I asked a police officer this in my research and he says they have a different room for some victims, to make them feel more comfortable. So would a victim feel comfortable in a room with a mirror, therefore?

But maybe I am wrong and the mirror room would stil work, and the prosecutor would bother to come down in person, rather than just watch a video of the statement after, from his office?
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:48 AM   #99
Inner Circle

You should explain the scenario when asking questions, other users aren't mind readers.

All that's probably needed is an audio feed, so that the prosecutor can listen in.
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:52 AM   #100
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh sorry, I guess will try to exlain more next time. But isn't audio more risky to send over the cyberspace than video, since the audio is the more important part in a statement?
Old November 10th, 2020, 03:03 AM   #101
Inner Circle

Look, since part of this scene is about the relationship of the cop with the prosecutor, get him to go to the police station if everything is that urgent.

In real life Queen Elizabeth I never meet Mary Queen of Scots, but they meet in quite a few films because it helps the drama and the story if they met. It works because the audience believes they meet as they're watching the film, even if a few know they didn't actually meet..

You're wildly over thinking this.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; November 10th, 2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old November 10th, 2020, 08:00 AM   #102
Inner Circle

Ryan - encryption has been around for years. In the UK, the Police constantly talk about case details to the Criminal Prosecution Service and my son books offenders into a centralised custody suite in Norfolk, when he arrests them in Suffolk, and can view everything remotely. The only thing NOT done is the conversations between the acused and their legal representation because the people who COULD listen in, are the people who shouldn't! (but of course could).

It's now common for people to give evidence from their prison and not have to go to court, and in child or sexual abuse cases, distance evidence is less stressful - but private.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2020, 11:32 AM   #103
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Look, since part of this scene is about the relationship of the cop with the prosecutor, get him to go to the police station if everything is that urgent.

In real life Queen Elizabeth I never meet Mary Queen of Scots, but they meet in quite a few films because it helps the drama and the story if they met. It works because the audience believes they meet as they're watching the film, even if a few know they didn't actually meet..

You're wildly over thinking this.
Oh okay, thanks. But you said before that the audience wouldn't believe if they kept a witness waiting for about 30 minutes, if they wanted to call the prosecutor and go over things with him. So how is it that the audience won't believe asking a witness to wait, yet they will believe the prosecutor coming down in person?

Isn't it just substituting one character being inconvienced for another? What makes one more believable than the other to the audience, just so I know?
Old November 10th, 2020, 11:52 AM   #104
Inner Circle

It appears not to be a mere witness, but the rape victim, which is entirely different. However, I suspect such a person wouldn't be left on their totally own for long periods. If you do that the audience will possibly lose sympathy with your policeman.

Can't you plot anything? The prosecutor could already be there, since.I assume that this is a planned interview if it's going over stuff for the court hearing the next day. Alternately, he could be in the police statioon for other business (they do work on more than one case) and gets informed about the victim possibly changing her statement.

Since this also about a relationship, the two men being in the same location, kills two birds with one stone and the response to her statement can be very quick

You want to keep things moving in a thriller.
Old November 10th, 2020, 12:29 PM   #105
also known as Ryan Wray

Well the way I wrote it was, is that she is trying to avoid getting involved in the case, so the main character cop found her, since she was dodging his efforts, and talked her into coming in. But since he didn't know when he was going to find her, and didn't know he could talk her into it, the interview is an unexpected interview, so the prosecutor would have to drop everything, spur the moment, just to go there, if that's believable.

Another thing is, is that after she reveals some new information in her statement, the main character and the prosecutor have to leave the room to talk about it, because they want to go over some things without her hearing about it.

I wanted the main character to leave the room and call the prosecutor, because then the prosecutor can just talk over the phone with his voice, and the actor does not have to be in two scenes. But if he is there during the interview, that is two scenes he has to be in then.

But also, would he drop everything and come over, if the interview was unexpected? Plus even though it's not polite to make her wait, I still need the main character and prosecutor to leave the room so they can talk about the new development without her wanting to hear about it. So wouldn't they have to keep her waiting anyway, therefore?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production