Vimeo announces finalists in 2010 Vimeo Awards for the best in creative online video; 45 videos representing 9 categories and 12 countries vie for the honor of Best-in-Category and one $25,000 grant for Best Overall Video.
NEW YORK, Sept. 21, 2010 – Online video sharing site Vimeo®, an operating business of IAC [NASDAQ: IACI], today announced the top five finalists in each of nine categories in its first Vimeo Awards competition.
The finalists, representing 12 countries from around the world, were selected from more than 6,500 entries by an international panel of distinguished judges including M.I.A., David Lynch, Roman Coppola, Ted Hope, Lucy Walker, and Morgan Spurlock, to name a few. Screenings of the finalist videos will take place at the Vimeo Festival in New York on October 8-9.
Tickets for the two-day Vimeo Festival, which features an amazing schedule of events including video screenings, workshops, seminars, and panel discussions from some of the most successful and respected members of the film and video community, can be found at Vimeoawards.com. The Vimeo Awards winners will be announced at a separate limited availability presentation on October 9th.
The list of 45 finalists represents the incredible caliber of the international online video community at large with Great Britain, France, Canada and the United States as a few of the countries represented in the finalist selections.
“I was extremely impressed by the breadth and range of the experimental films, from the momentous made morbid to the domestic made dance,” said Charlie White, judge for the Experimental category.
“It was a true pleasure to serve on this jury and feel refreshed and inspired by the creative energy of the work submitted,” said Lucy Walker, judge for the Documentary category. “Short form documentary work is evolving and this feels like exactly where it’s happening and where it’s at. Let’s keep it coming!”
List of Finalists per Category:
To view each of these films, please visit www.vimeoawards.com/finalists.
Narrative (Judges: Vincent Laforet, Rian Johnson, Ted Hope)
· Ben Briand – Moonwalk Films, Apricot
· Daniele Napolitano, Notte Sento
· Arev Manoukian – Spy Films, Nuit Blanche
· Gabriel Bisset-Smith; Thrush
· Ricardo de Montreuil; The Raven
Music Video (Judges: Roman Coppola, Nabil Elderkin, M.I.A.)
· Andy Bruntel; Liars “Scissor”
· Keith Schofield, Alan Capriles; Justice / Lenny Kravitz “Let Love Rule”
· Jul French , Matt French; Metronomy “On The Motorway”
· Julia Grigorian, Kirby McClure – Spy Films; Yeasayer “Ambling Alp”
· Nyle; Nyle “Let The Beat Build”
Documentary (Judges: Doug Pray, Lucy Walker, Morgan Spurlock)
· Henrik Hansen; Shinya Kimura @ Chabott Engineering
· Eliot Rausch, Lukas Korver – Phos Pictures; Pennies HEART
· Temujin Doran – Studiocanoe; Facts About Projection
· The Light Surgeons; Schlimazeltov!
· Eliot Rausch, Lukas Korver – Phos Pictures; Last Minutes with ODEN
Experimental (Judges: David Lynch, Neville Brody, Charlie White)
· Nomint; The Holy Chicken of Life & Music
· Zeitguised; Peripetics
· Chris Beckman; Oops
· Klara Elenius; Insyn
· Mat Mowat; ”Take It Easy”
Remix (Judges: DJ Spooky (Paul Miller), Adam Quirk of Wreck & Salvage, Lawrence Lessig)
· Adam Cosco; The Most Basic Form of Mind Control is Repetition
· Kasumi; BREAKDOWN the video (remix)
· Eclectic Method; The Tarantino Mixtape
· SLACKCiRCUS; Fabulous Secret Powers
· Peter Eramian; Fantasia
Original Series (Judges: Fred Seibert, Ricky Van Veen, Ze Frank)
· Katy Lock, Daniel May – KADA Films; The Specials
· Cool Hunting; Cool Hunting
· Carl Crum; One Square Mile – a documentary series
· Ted Tremper; Break-ups The Series
· Christophe Abric, Vincent Moon: Le Blogotheque – Take Away Shows
Animation (Judges: Nicolas Schmerkin, Ree Treweek, Carlos Lascano)
· Kristen Lepore; Bottle
· Max Porter & Ru Kuwahata; Something Left, Something Taken
· Eran Hilleli; Between Bears
· Patrick Jean; Pixels
· Simon Robson – Knife Party; Coalition of the Willing
Motion Graphics (Judges: Justin Cone, Nick Campbell, Shane Walter)
· Onur Senturk; TRI▲NGLE
· Denis van Waerebeke; How to feed the world ?
· Masaki Yokochi; Locus
· Nico Uthe; Bad News – A Media Fiction (Diplom)
· Mike Winkelmann – beeple; Instrumental video nine
Captured (Judges: Paola Antonelli, Jose Luis de Vicente, Evan Roth)
· Rob Seward; Four Letter Words
· Chris Cairns; Neurosonics Live
· Charlie Bucket; Fluid Sculpture
· James Théophane Jnr; Experience Mobile Mobile
· Xavier Vilar de Paz; Multitouch Barcelona
To view each of these films, please visit www.vimeoawards.com/finalists. In addition, registered Vimeo users can vote for their favorite video to determine the Community Choice awards in each category. Community Voting is separate from the judged Vimeo Awards. Complete Vimeo Festival schedule and ticket information is available at vimeoawards.com. Festival tickets are available now!
About Vimeo, LLC
Leading video sharing site Vimeo® provides the easiest way for people to host and share their videos in high quality. The site provides great privacy features and inspiring videos from a vibrant, respectful community of creative users who care about how and where they show their work. Launched in 2004 and headquartered in New York, NY, Vimeo offers users a video sharing experience that is both entertaining and easy to use. Vimeo is a 2010 & 2009 Time Magazine Top 50 Website. Vimeo, LLC is a subsidiary of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI).