Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #406
Regular Crew

Re: Help! Premier Pro newbie

I was in the exact same boat as you, I started with Studio 8 and now use PPro. I found the Adobe Video Digital Curriculum to be an excellent guide. And the best part is that it is available free on their website!

Why not use the Slow Motion effect in Studio 8? It is easy to use and works great. Simply select the clip, Open the Video Tool box then click on the "Vary playback speed". Then move the slider to whatever speed you want. I usually used 0.4x for slow motion replay of sports events.

If you must transfer work from Studio 8 to PPro, I recommend AVI format to maintain the best picture quality. To save as an AVI in Studio 8, Select the Make Movie tab, then click on the AVI tab.

To use the AVI file in PPro, simply select File/Import/, then point to the AVI you want to add to your (PPRO) Project.

To become proficient at PPro, you are going to have to wean yourself off Studio 8. I deleted it off my system, so now I *must* learn to use PPro ;)

Hope that helps!
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #407
Regular Crew

Thanks Anthony.
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #408
New Boot

audio problems in premiere

When I capture film into premiere the audio is present, but when I put my footage into the timeline and playback through the monitor window the audio does not play, just the video. The audio tracks are present in the timeline they just don't play with the video, but when i drag the bar back over the tracks with my mouse the audio can be heard playing backwards. Can any one help? Thanks
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #409
New Boot

converting 16:9 to 4:3 in premiere

Is this possible to convert 16:9 video to 4:3?

Thanks
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #410
Trustee

Your Playback Settings are probably set to play to the DV device instead of the audio device. Unplug your camcorder.
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #411
Trustee

There are a few really good free tutorials at http://www.wrigleyvideo.com

I have links to some good tutorials site on my Tutorial page.

I suggest the Class-On-Demand video tutorial series by Emmy Award winning editor Tim Kolb and he also has a book out from Focal Press.

http://www.classondemand.net/ClassOnDemand/Public/product.aspx?Product.formState=2&Product.ProductSelected=124

The book is cheapest at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=18712&dept=3920&product_id=2614599&path=0%3A3920%3A18712%3A18736%3A18743%3A20677

Read about it here:

http://books.elsevier.com/us/focalbooks/us/subindex.asp?isbn=0240805674&country=United+States&community=focalbooks&mscssid=01SMPAUVF2EC8LKK2TKB 93ANRXSTDDE8
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #412
Regular Crew

With new version of Premiere 1.5, I hear that you will be able to use photoshop plugin. In Premiere 6.5 the only photoshop plugin that I used was diffused glow. The diffused glow filter needs to be from a earlier version of photoshop 5 and lower or it will not work. Diffused glow was an awesome effect that I used when I had 6.5
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #413
Trustee

The new features document mentions four Photoshop filters included with Premiere Pro and it also mentions that compatible AE plugins will automatically load from the AE plugins directory.

I didn't see diffused glow on the list of Photoshop plugins. Perhaps on the AE plugins list? The document wasn't that specific.
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #414
Tourist

Censorship needed

Hey all,

I hope ya'll might be able to help me with a slight problem. I am doing some street racing videos and some guys don't want their face nor the license plate numbers on their cars showing in the videos. Does anyone know how to do the little censor blur, block, or whatever? I am using Adobe Premier 6. No AE experience so that won't help unless you know of a really good tutorial for it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #415
Major Player

Render before compositing?

I have been editing in premiere and am ready to now do some pretty heavy compositing in after effects.

I am wondering will i lose quality if I render out to a single ffile? or should i rendering to DV again and just import the premiere file into After Effects.

Another thing i could do is export the file from premiere as an uncompressed AVI.

Basically i jsut dont wanna compress my image anymore than need be.

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #416
Regular Crew

If you have the space, render to an uncompressed file. That way you are safe. Or a DV avi should be acceptable too.
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #417
Regular Crew

Ben,

What kind of compositig are you doing?

For now I would say import your premiere project into after effects, this way there are no issues a loss in quality as you will be dealing with the original dv files. If you do go with rendering out a uncompressed file, i would suggest rendering out a quicktime file with animation compression. The last time i checked, a quicktime animation file will be smaller in size then uncompressed avi, and the quality seems to be better. Thats what i do anyway, not sure what others do.

http://www.rich-lee.com
Old April 29th, 2004, 04:20 AM   #418
Wrangler

Hi Will,

Are you running with any special hardware?

Censoring with a block of black etc can be tricky, but this is how I would do it (there are numous ways) with software only:

>Create a small black square in title designer (bigger enough to cover most of the subject). Save it.
>Place your video clip in track 1 and then place the title in track 2 (above the video clip)
>Right click on the title and choose video options> motion
>In the motion control panel there are numorus controls to add keyframes, make bigger or smaller, and to move the 'black box' around the screen. (I won't go into much detail as its pretty tricky to explain). The screen is basically split into 3 sections the upper left window is your preview monitor, the upper right window is where you move the frame and add various keyframes, and the bottom windows are for adjusting parameters.
>once done click OK.

I suggest you have a play around.

I hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old April 29th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #419
RED Code Chef

If you've ONLY done straight cuts in Premiere it should not render
your final DV file, so you should be safe. Keep in mind that After
Effects will not load things like transitions from the Premiere file!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #420
Wrangler

yes it is depending on how the 16x9 footage is. You will probably loose resoloution or have to have black bars top and bottom.

Please provide with more information if you want to know how to do it:

> Version of Premiere
> Is it anamorphic 16x9
> Is it letter boxed 16x9
> How is it going to be used?
> Why you need to do it?
> Any other useful info you think we might need

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite