DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 6th, 2003, 04:55 AM   #196
Tourist

capturing from XL-1 to FCX

I am having problems capturing footage from my xl-1. It plays Ok in the capture window but as soon as I begin to capture I get a pop up explaining that there is a break in the timecode, there is no break in the timecode and the footage that was capturted prior to the error message had a lot of static and the audio was out of synch. Any suggestions.

I have switched off the abort button in the prefs, and am no longer interupted, but the captured video is horrible. I lowered the pref for realtime audio. Was wondering if I could lower the compression data rate. The footage was shot in SP mode. Is this a common Canon problem.???
Jeff Sheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 06:26 AM   #197
Warden

Read some of the posts about Sync Adjust Movies (SAM) and you'll get tips for dealing with it. What are you using, and iMac, Tower, Powerbook? What type of drive are you capturing to? Are you hooked up to the internet or network while trying to capture? Please give more details about your system. You may not have enough processing power to have do HQ audio. FCX does not offer lower compression rates. FCP does, but that would not help your issues. This is not a Canon issues, definitely FCX.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #198
New Boot

How to edit 24P in Cinema Tools

I got Cinema Tools just now, and I have a DVX100. But I don't know how to do that with CT? I have try more times, but I'm not found some tutorial on internet.

So anybody can tell me how to do...

THX!
Rocky Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #199
Tourist

More Infro

Thanks for the reply. I have a Power Mac Dual 1 Ghz, with 1.25 Gb of Ram. I am capturing to an external ata 7200firewire drive with a 911 oxford chip set. I am not connected to a network and have a cable modem so I am connected to the internet whiole trying to capture. I am going to try with a different 1)firewire cable and then when it is returned to me a different camera.
Thanks again
Jeff Sheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #200
Regular Crew

Titles problem

I made my titles with FCP title generator. They are simple white on black background. the white font is set at 80% and black opacity at 90% and then I applied Gaussian blur at 0.3 as stated on Ken Stone's page. Now I have a problem of a greenish hue when I pplay them. It only happens at the beginning when there's a Cross dissolve between the slug and the titles. It doesn't happen if there's a Cross dissolve between the titles themselves but only at the begining whith a slug proceeding it.
Meaning: slug-cross dissolve-tille: green hue for gfew seconds until the titles are fully shown on the screen then they are normal white.
title-cross dissovle-title: normal transaction.
I have a feeling it is the Gaussian Blur. Do I really need it? Any one knows how to fix that problem without recommending redoing them in Photoshop :)
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #201
Regular Crew

I just solved that problem and in case someone else encounters the same issue here's how I solved it. For some reason when you place a slug in from of a Title and cross dissolve between them, it will give that green hueish effect. What you need to do is substitute the slug with an empty text. FCP will automatically place a black background and then you can apply the Cross disolve and have a clean effect.
Old March 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #202
Regular Crew

Festival vs TV copy

It just dawned on me that I am doing all the NTSC specifications on my project for TV showing, but what if I send my Final Copy on a DVD to be shown in a festival? Do I need to change the NTSC specifications (mainly the titles with Gaussian Blur and opacity of 80% white, etc. etc.) or should I leave all the changes and send as is?
Old March 6th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #203
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It will all depend on what format a specific festival might require. Contact the festival's organization to determine what they want.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #204
Warden

How full is the FireWire drive? Do you have any programs running that reguarly accesses the internet (mail, weather updates, sytem clock is sync to net etc.)? What OS and version of FCP are you using? You may want to try trashing the FCP's preferences.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #205
Warden

You don't necessarily need Cinema Tools to edit 24p. Cinema Tools is used to generate an EDL for cutting the negative. Are you going to film and have a film negative you have to match frame back from the FCP edit?

Old March 7th, 2003, 01:48 AM   #206
New Boot

you are right, I needn't film, just DV is ok.

And if I haven't 24P camcorder but I still wanna film look, how other way I can do expect change Gamma? such as when I using PD150(PAL), how to simulate film look without 24P camcorder
Old March 7th, 2003, 02:15 AM   #207
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You would use a software tool, such as Magic Bullet or CineLook, during post-production.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #208
Warden

After Effects also has a Gamma tool that will let you adjust the curves. MB is my favorite, but the rendering can be slow. It renders at about 3 to 10 seconds per frame on my 450 Dual Processor machine.

Old March 7th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #209
New Boot

I usually use FCP 3 way color correct, it's a better way for me. some friends in Apple company, they would lend the newest Mac Computer to me. So I don't care performance of my computer :-)

Thanks for everybody help!
Old March 8th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #210
New Boot

Storage: Internal or External?

I would like to add another hard drive to my G4 running FCP 2. I already have a master and a slave installed on the original hard drive connector ribbon (I don't know the technical name), so as I see it I have three options. Well two really, since the cost of an external firewire raid is prohibitivie.

Option 1. Get a PCI/ATA card and connect some more hard drives internally.

Option 2. Get some external firewire hard drives.

For discussion assume 60gb 7200 rpm with 2mb buffer.

Of the two, which will offer faster render times? With the cost of the adaptor card, both options are comparable in price.

Has anybody tried the ATA hardware raid that sonnet (i think?) now has?

Cheers, Jeremiah
Jeremiah Boucher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite