SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 82 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1216
Trustee

Nick, the verified info from this thread is available as a sticky - no need to go through all 80 pages :)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...sxs-cards.html
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #1217
Regular Crew

Brian
I hot swap the cards no problem you just have to wait for the led to green, it's red when writing. I just eject the card and adapter then put another one in with a new card. You do have to make sure the card is seated correctly though or you will get media not recognized error message. I just pull the adapter out and then reseat the card in the adapter and return to the camera and it works.

Nick
All the info is here in the thread but at this moment there is only one card that works and that's the Generic one from Hong Kong. I have several on order at the moment. The link is in Kevin Cates post above.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1218
Regular Crew

Thanks Alex,
I have looked at that before. Is that the only palce to buy the Kensington?
I have also read that this wont work with my MBP 17" have you or anyone had problems?

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1219
Trustee

Robert, I had those HK cards shipped to me Nov 21, and I'm yet to receive them :|

Unsure if 2-week delay between the order and delivery is acceptable for everyone.

Will test the cards when I receive them...
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1220
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Stone View Post
Thanks Alex, I have looked at that before. Is that the only palce to buy the Kensington?
Unfortunately, Kensington's availability is extremely spotty, as we seem to have scooped all the online supply as the result of this thread :)

Try Amazon's Kensington link, sometimes you get lucky. It shows in stock right now, BTW - fulfilled by Amazon itself.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #1221
Inner Circle

Do these 3rd party cards switch seamlessly from one card to the next while recording? Just as the Sony card do?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #1222
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C. Fisher View Post
Brian
I hot swap the cards no problem you just have to wait for the led to green, it's red when writing. I just eject the card and adapter then put another one in with a new card. You do have to make sure the card is seated correctly though or you will get media not recognized error message. I just pull the adapter out and then reseat the card in the adapter and return to the camera and it works.

Nick
All the info is here in the thread but at this moment there is only one card that works and that's the Generic one from Hong Kong. I have several on order at the moment. The link is in Kevin Cates post above.

OK One of the my Delkin readers is Bad errors when card Changes Slot. Records about 5min Restore media error sending this one back.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #1223
Regular Crew

Transcend 16 Gb stuck on Formatting- help

Hi,

Was ridiculously excited to finally get my 4 Transcend 16 Gb cards and kensington, BUT already in trouble !!

Its been stuck on Formatting 79% for about 20 min and won't turn off ? any suggestions ?

Thanks

Chris

proud new EX1 owner
Chris Paporakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #1224
Trustee

Pull the battery.

I've only seen this exact issue with SDHC cards that were not fast enough.

It's possible that one of your Transcend SDHC cards has an issue.
I have yet to see or hear about a Kensington card create this issue.
It's possible your Kensington is bad.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #1225
Inner Circle

Fake Cards?
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #1226
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Fake Cards?

Smart Computing Article - Counterfeit Cards: It Could Happen To You
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1227
Regular Crew

Chris
This is what happened with my bad Delkin adapter. Hung in formatting then restarted camera and reinserted the card and adapter this time formated then media errors within 2-4 minutes in record. I tried all of my SD cards in my other adapter and no problems at all, All Good!

I am using the Transcend 16GB cards with 2 - SD Ultra IIs to be here soon, maybe today.

More tests today!
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #1228
Regular Crew

I just got off the phone with Delkin, great discussion btw. It seems like Delkin is really on the ball and the gentleman said that they could have new stock on the old adapters, most likely relabeled as something else, in 2-6 weeks.

He just sold me, what a great company.
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #1229
Inner Circle

Good news indeed!!!! Now if only Apple would listen to customer feedback as effectively!
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #1230
Inner Circle

they could simply make a bundle of a rebadged Sandisk 16gig ultra II card +their adapter, call it eXFilm or something like this.
I am even surprised that no chinese guy has not yet started to advertise for low cost fake SxS. Just glue a shaved SDHC in a kensington, change the sticker... et voila !
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds