Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #886
RED Code Chef

I'm sorry, but I just don't seem to be following this whole thing.

Choose an MPEG-2 export and pick a PAL template and go to
advanced. Set bitrate to constant bitrate (CBR) with a value of
8000. How does that look?

I think your camera is interlaced, so leave everything to interlaced.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #887
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : I'm sorry, but I just don't seem to be following this whole thing.

Choose an MPEG-2 export and pick a PAL template and go to
advanced. Set bitrate to constant bitrate (CBR) with a value of
8000. How does that look?

I think your camera is interlaced, so leave everything to interlaced. -->>>

Would you explain more step-by-step, please:
1.where is ADVANCED option you mentioned above?
2.where is INTERLACED option too?
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #888
Major Player

I don't use Vegas, but perhaps the way it works under Premiere Pro will help?:

When you create a custom presets, they are saved to a file under your user profile.

In Windows XP, a new "prfpset" file (usually named "Effect Presets and Custom Items.prfpset") is created under your user profile. Assuming default locations, it is under:

C:\Documents and Settings\profilename\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\1.5

where "profilename" is your user name. (Perhaps Vegas has application settings under the application data folder as well?)

In Premiere Pro, your presets are added under the Presets bin in the Effects window so that you can drag and drop them just as you would any other. You can create your own custom presets bin or leave them there.

If you wish to back up your custom presets file or move it to another system (or both), just copy the prfpset file. It also doesn't have to remain under your profile, you can place it under the Effect Presets folder, usually found at:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\en_US\Effect Presets

(There must be a similar presets location with Vegas).

If you do move it (at least with PPro), you'll get another one when you save additional presets... so it is probably best to leave it where it is.

I hope this helps.

John
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #889
New Boot

Please Help !!

Hi,

I have a problem that’s driving me nuts. I have the JVC GR-PD1 (PAL version of the JVC GR-HD1). After filming in auto at HI RES 625/25p (High resolution the pal version can do) I capture and load that .m2t clip into Sony Vegas's media pool which goes fine. If I try preview the footage from the media pool or drag it onto the time line and play it there, the video stream plays back X2 faster than normal and audio lags behind.

When the footage is on the timeline, the audio is the standard length and the video is half the amount. If I do the above in 625/50p I don't encounter the problem so, it's like the video is in a slight fast forward and again, as a result the audio lags behind at the normal rate. This issue occurs if I capture with either D-VHS or Connect HD so doesn't seem to be a capture issue. If I rename the .m2t file to .mpg I can play it back at normal speed in windows media player. If I convert the HI RES .m2t file to .avi using Connect HD and play it back in windows medai player I get the same error X2 speed video, normal speed audio. I took some footage in 625/50p and didn't encounter this problem. The problem occurs when I go to the Hi Res mode of 625/25p.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #890
Major Player

You can definitely disregard my previous post! :-)

I installed Vegas and found that custom presets are saved in the registry under the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DXTransform\Presets

Each plugin has a long id that corresponds to it (such as B432972D-E08D-11D2-BF8A-006097C9EBF7 which was used for MB Editors on my system). Presets corresponding to that plugin are saved as REG_BINARY values under the id key.

You should name your presets something very distinct so that you you will easily see them.

You can export your registry keys and merge them back if you ever need them (or want to transfer to another system). Be careful in the registry if you don't know much about it, however.

John
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #891
Trustee

A decent sepia

Just wondering if anyone's found anything?
I think the presets look kind of fake.
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #892
New Boot

OK I found out why it's happening but still no luck finding a solution. The Vegas software is reading my PD1 Hi Res 25p footage at 50p and as a result playing it back twice as fast. Apparently I have to change a setting somewhere in Vegas to tell it that The .m2t file is 25p not 50p. Any help on how to do this would be fantastic. Any help on how or where to find a solution would also be great.

Cheers
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #893
Inner Circle

For sepia tone, start with the color corrector.

Drag the three wheels to slightly different shades of orange/red. Drag the middle wheel with stronger strength than the others.

Once you get an idea of what you want, you can go into color curves and get more control that way. Color curves:
Select just the red curve. Make it concave down.
Select just the blue curve. Make it concave up, but with less strength than the red curve.
Add a point in the middle of the green curve. Adjust the tangent/slope of that point's tangent/slope control.
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #894
Sponsor: JET DV

If you right-click the clip and choose properties, can you change it to the correct speed there?

Also, what would happen if you started capturing about two seconds farther into the tape (I'm assuming you probably just captured from the very beginning of the tape).
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #895
Regular Crew

Thanks Glenn, David and Peter for your help. - Jeff
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #896
Regular Crew

Not sure if this is possible in Vegas, but I think it is -- one of many ways sepia tone is created in Photoshop is to use a B&W file and to place a solid brown/orange color overlay in "color" blend mode and then reduce opacity to taste. In Vegas, I think you could reduce saturation of the video track to 0%, then have a solid color blend with it, couldn't you? As I said, I have not tried this.
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #897

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Kennedy : Not sure if this is possible in Vegas, but I think it is -- one of many ways sepia tone is created in Photoshop is to use a B&W file and to place a solid brown/orange color overlay in "color" blend mode and then reduce opacity to taste. In Vegas, I think you could reduce saturation of the video track to 0%, then have a solid color blend with it, couldn't you? As I said, I have not tried this. -->>>

Based on your description, yes that could be done. There IS a sepia effect built into Vegas, though.
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #898
Regular Crew

But why use dv50 if that's not what you get originally from a DV cam ? You will just use originally lower quality footage and put it in dv50. That will never make it better no ?

Frank
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #899
Regular Crew

What effects to use to achieve this effect

Hi, in Vegas 5, how would you be able to get the following effect?

Thanks in advance!
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #900

The Stuttering Video tool in Tsunami should give similar results. There's also a similar tool in the Pixelan tool. To manually do this, add the same video on say three tracks and offset them a couple of frames. Lower the opacity on the top track to around 30% and the middle track to around 50%.

Play around with the opacity levels, offset distance/direction, and maybe even the number of tracks. The effect really works BEST with a stationary camera.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...