Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:37 PM   #1441
Regular Crew

Soundforge vs. Adobe Audition

I am curious if anyone knows...

I have purchased Vegas along with the 5 training DVDs since I believe it to be the best and easiest editor to use. However, I see in so many posts about opening audio in Soundforge to edit.

I have nothing against Soundforge, and even bought an express copy years ago with Sonic Foundry, but I've always preferred Adobe Audition (which in my mind is still Cool Edit Pro since I've been using it waaaaaayyyy before Adobe bought it).

Anyway, question is, will Audition do as well with my Vegas files (I've used it many times already to successfully edit .avi's from Windows movie maker) as Soundforge will do - or is there some special things Soundforge can do that the other can't?

They've always seemed very similar, and again, I've always just preferred Audition (cool edit).
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM   #1442
Major Player

Hello,

And if it is a laptop, can you use the external connection for the monitor??

Mike
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:49 PM   #1443
Major Player

Does DVDA2 produce in DDP or CMF format

I'm finalizing my first comercial DVD and just noticed that the masters I send to the replictors are supposed to be on DVD-Rs and can be UDF, UDF BRIDGE, or ISO 9660 but they must be written in DDP2.0, 2.1 or CMF format.

I've searched and found that CMF is short for Cutting Master Format (I think that's what it said) but I can't find mention of either format within the help or manual of DVDA.

The guy at the replication facility makes it sound like any authoring software that's not older than 2 or more years should have it.

I'm worried because we're on a time crunch so I'd rather get it right with the first FedEx.

Can anyone tell me if either of these "standards" of authoring are part of DVDA?

Thanks,
Kevin

p.s. The credits are done and DvInfo.Net is shining proudly in the "Thank You's"
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM   #1444
Sponsor: JET DV

Both are audio editors. Use what you're comfortable with. The main advantage with Sound Forge is that you can send a file from the Vegas timeline to be modified in Sound Forge and, once modified, it will be brought back into Vegas and added as a Take to that event.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM   #1445

Yes, that should also work. I know my laptop can be set up to be two monitors - the main LCD on the laptop and an second signal out the SVGA port.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1446
Regular Crew

Ahhhh, thanks Edward

Exactly the kind of thing I was wondering. I guess thru Audition, I'll have to save the audio back to video (which can be rather lengthy) and then re-import back into Vegas. I wonder if that would degrade the quality of the file in any way vs. the Soundforge method?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:50 PM   #1447
Inner Circle

i havent tried this as i only use Soundforge for editing, however in teh preferences tab, there is an option to select the "default audio editor"

lead it to Audition and it "should" theoretically behave the same way..
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #1448
Regular Crew

High Dynamic Range Automatic Gain Control for avisynth

Even though the results do not seem to be really desirable but I wonder if there is an easy way to do this kind of stuff with Vegas 5.0.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93571
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #1449

I'm not sure that by simply pointing to the other program it will allow it to bring the audio back in as a Take. It would definitely allow STARTING the program, though.

As for saving the file, why not just save it as a WAV file instead of an AVI file? Then add the WAV file as a take on the original timeline.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #1450
Regular Crew

Very good. I'll try this out as soon as I can. Having to learn Vegas AND a new sound editor would be a bit taxing at the same time.

Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #1451

You might be able to use THIS control in Vegas. I believe that WAX adds the ability to use some AVISynth tools directly in Vegas.
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #1452
Regular Crew

What file format for watermark in Vegas

A friend is going to make a watermark from my logo to use on some video. Can someone tell me what file format to use to carry the alpha to Vegas? (forgive me if I worded this wrong!) Thanks, Jeff
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #1453
Inner Circle

I made my "bug" in Photoshop on a transparent background and the saved as a PNG.

Don
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1454
Tourist

Creating wmv9 with wma8 or mp3?

I am wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. I use vegas 6.0 and do a lot of batch encoding so if someone knows a way to encode a wm video 9 file with wm8 audio or mp3 please let me know!

The reason for this is I am aware that a lot of websurfers dont have the 9.1+ codec installed and popup for codec = bad...

Thanks a lot everyone.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1455
Regular Crew

Or...If you have the .gif or .jpg image available, you can place it in the video and lower the opacity of the image.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...