High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera - Page 61 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Closed Thread

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM   #901
Major Player

Odd, interesting post. I was looking into those lenses myself recently.
In my opinion, an Elphel(+hard disk) with OVF(optical viewfinder) and a simple focus assistant in the software on a mobile controller... all powered by a 12v battery.. will be the best option available for us the coming months(?)
If this workable setup is ready, we can go on improving it, but I think it is the way to go.
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM   #902
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Filippov View Post
cool program (mostly FPGA code) in the last software (7.1.7.11) on Sourceforge for focusing.
Excellent! I'd love to try it out but my apple cinedisplay cant display 640x480 resolution...or rather my Nvidia card cant drive the display properly with lower res...and that means that all text when I boot the live CD (just like the bios boot text) isnt visible...all I get is a black screen. Thanks Nvidia...

..so is there any other way to upgrade the camera software...using win xp?
(I really need to sort out a linux partition)
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM   #903
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier View Post
all powered by a 12v battery.
12v?! you got a modified elphel?? ...or have you found a way to solve the 48v problem...?

Also - do you have an elphel with a running harddrive yet? Im about to buy a harddrive and will add the zif extension board to the elphel as soon as I got the drive and a proper casing...
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM   #904
Major Player

Odd,

Maybe you can find some other computer around? I tried to support reflashing of Axis processors for WIndows at the beginning, but it was really difficult - required WinPCap library kept changing (loosing compatibility with my software) and different Windows (W95, W2K) also were not compatible to each other so I gave up.

It will also be useful if you can post on our wiki - what type of the computer did not work with the Live DVD.

You may also search for "knoppix cheat codes" or "knoppix + your_computer" -- sometimes it is possible to make it work just by adding the proper command line at boot prompt.

Andrey
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM   #905
Regular Crew

Quote:
Maybe you can find some other computer around?
Hmmm I've got two screens with my machine but none of them work in text mode...I'll try this cheap flat screen tv I got...think its got a vga input.

Quote:
I tried...WIndows at the beginning, but it was really difficult...I gave up.
I truly understand...in short - windows sucks.
I wouldnt use it if I wasnt forced to while I work.
(need certain software)

Quote:
post on our wiki what did not work with the Live DVD.
Once I've found out why I dont get any text mode on my screen and a possible workaround - I'll definitely post it.

Quote:
..sometimes it is possible to make it work just by adding the proper command line at boot prompt.
Hmm good idea...maybe I can make some kind of config file with the drivers & resolution I need it to start with. I'll look into that in case my cheap tv doesent work. I'll see how it goes...now - time for sleep. 1:30am here ;)

I'll let you know how it goes!!
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM   #906
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Nydren View Post
12v?! you got a modified elphel?? ...or have you found a way to solve the 48v problem...?

Also - do you have an elphel with a running harddrive yet? Im about to buy a harddrive and will add the zif extension board to the elphel as soon as I got the drive and a proper casing...
Not really(my 333 is 12v), but Andrey spoke about a voltage doubler-kind- of device, so I was more or less pointing out the possibilities in the near future.

I have the hard-drive right here, I just need to put everything together, because I was building the OVF and the hard-drive needs a custom made body. I'll do that next week or so.

Edit... time to sleep too... 2:30 AM over here! :|
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM   #907
Regular Crew

Quote:
Not really(my 333 is 12v), but Andrey spoke about a voltage doubler-kind- of device, so I was more or less pointing out the possibilities in the near future.
Ah! I see...I was very excited thee for a second ;)

Quote:
I have the hard-drive right here, I just need to put everything together
Cool - let us know when its up n running!! :)
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #908
Regular Crew

You can get 48v from 12v quite easily, there is various electronical component designed for that (48v phantom powered mic anyone ? There is lot of sound card powered from usb offering that feature).

Check this link (in french, sorry) for various solutions :
http://www.sonelec-musique.com/elect...s_phantom.html

The problem is the elphel's power consumption and if those components support it.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #909
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mingam View Post
You can get 48v from 12v quite easily (48v phantom powered mic anyone ?) The problem is the elphel's power consumption...
Yeah I'm afraid that may be the core problem...
..from what I've seen most of the 48v phantom power audio gear only supplies around 10mA or so...while according to Andrey the Elphel would need the power from two USB ports...so in other words (500ma/USB port) it sounds like 10mA would be less than a tenth what is needed.

Maybe Andrey could enlighten us?
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #910
Major Player

In my camera I use the integrated PC's power supply to run a 12v 7" LCD.

You can get 12v from a pc power supply. (the yellow and black end on molex)

If you remove the board out of the PSU body its pretty small. About 3x4 inches or so. Be sure to cool it, I have an intake fan on the camera body cooling the PSU. Oh, there are also fanless PSUs but they are expensive. Make sure you have enough watts to power all the components.

Do at your own risk. Im no electrician, and its best to consult Andrey.

Odd,
Did my suggestion work for you? Did you ever get your pc to boot the live cd?
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #911
Regular Crew

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for the suggestions Daniel...it turned out I didnt need to give knoppix any kind of command (although I appreciated the moral support)...I just had to switch my secondary 160USD screen into the main DVI socket used by my 900USD screen...apparently the cheap one could do text mode while the apple one could not. Fun. ;) - never underestimate the power of cheap OEM gear :D

Regarding the power issue...there are battery powered 48v power supplies made for powering microphones...but they seem to be all to weak to run the Elphel...too bad. It would be cool to be proven wrong.
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #912
New Boot

Who made this ?

hi there,

i found this picture on the elphel wiki.

Who made this picture ?
Is there a sample clip of this shot available ?

cheers,

Marie Guillaume
Attached Thumbnails
High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera-800px-dlmoviegrab2.jpg  
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #913
Major Player

Thats a clip from a short film I shot with the 333.

That scene was shot in two locations, the location in the picture is not used in the current edit. The film is currently in post-production.

I don't have any videos to share at the moment.
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #914
Major Player

Another thread was started some days ago about the Elphel image quality. How about posting everything about image sharpness, color and compression over there?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=114676
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #915
New Boot

Sumix vs Elphel...

Hi there,

Did anyone try the last revision of the Sumix Camera 12A2C ?

Is it good for HD shooting ?

Cheers,

Marie Guillaume
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project