Helping Hands from 2008 - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old September 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #391
Regular Crew

Here's an idea. NZ has some of the best fly fishing on the planet. Maybe I can help you with a proposal to shoot some for Discovery Communications ( Animal Planet et al).
I'm pretty expert at the shooting still of Flyfishing and will always crew in exchange for stipend to cover cost. We'll pay local guides to be part of the deal etc etc. A Proposal is the first place to start.
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #392
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Do we have any EX3 users in Miami? If so, please contact me: jay[at]gooddogproductions[dot]com.

Thanks!
Hi Jay, yes I have the EX-3 and I am in Miami - located near the design district close to Downtown. Jon Braeley.
jon@emptymindfilms.com
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #393
New Boot

Space needed! Greatroom? Phoenix AZ

Hi!

OfficeQuest, a Phoenix Arizona, feature length film needs space to set up a Green screen each Sunday in October and November.

20 X 20 would be great, but smaller might work if there is more than one angle of access for shooting from a distance.
A quiet environment is needed.
NO CATS! Cast/crew have allergies.
Electrical system should be sound.
Air conditioning a must!

Payment on this project is deferred, contingent upon profits.
We can offer 1% of profits, a copy of the project upon completion, screen credit and a walk-through role if desired.

If this is of interest to you, please contact us at:

VIKINGWIZARD(at)GMAIL(dot)COM

Thank you,

David Perrine
Director: OfficeQuest
Home

Last edited by David Perrine; September 19th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Email edit to prevent bots from spamming
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #394
Major Player

I think you guys misunderstand my intentions.

Many backpackers do a working holiday visa so that they can work a bar or pick fruit for cash. I'm actually hoping to land a more permanent, 9-5 job - the WHV would allow me to tell a prospective employer: "I can start work immediately, and if you like me, then we'll talk about jumping through immigration hoops."

I should have been more specific: One of the things I was thinking about doing was continuing my filmmaking on nights and weekends like usual, but I was thinking about upgrading to a Canon XH-A1 which, after a factory upgrade, can shoot in NTSC and PAL.

If I'm only shooting video for myself, I might as well just stick with the NTSC HV20 since the HV20 shoots in 60i and 24p, and since I'm just watching it on my computer, it should be able to handle all sorts of frame rates. I could justify getting the Canon XH-A1 if there was a possibility for freelance nature work - but it sounds like even the Canon XH-A1 wouldn't be "pro" enough for use.
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #395
Regular Crew

New Zealand has about 4 million people in it. Of those approximately half have recently graduated film school... you will be up against a fair bit of competition.

Auckland has the most viable industry, but no nature.

The industry is freelance, I would be surprised if you find a full time position.

You will not find a job as a cameraman with your experience and proposed equipment. You may be lucky enough to find some casual work as a trainee.

The market is significantly different to the USA. My suggestion to you is to come with no pre conceived ideas or expectations. Have enough money to survive (cost of living is high here) and see what happens. Spend a week in Auckland looking for work... who knows, you might get lucky!

http://www.ruff.co.nz
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #396
Inner Circle

Hi again, Brian...............

No, I didn't misunderstand your intentions, well, I don't think.

My comment about "Pro" gear is quite simply based on the format specs I've seen posted here that will be accepted by the major players world wide for transmission.

HDV is, in the main, seriously frowned on. Don't ask me why, it looks pretty good to me and most other folks, but there you are.

I did see somewhere where some organisations would accept content with up to 15 - 20% HDV, but that still leaves you with a 80 - 85% hole in anything you decided to shoot here in NZ.

I myself shoot an A1 and HV20 and am perplexed by the "no HDV", and there is certaiainly no way I can afford to ramp up to a format that would be acceptable to a "major player".

That said, if you can find someone in the States (or elsewhere) who will accept straight HDV, you might just make it fly.

The other reason for suggesting you find a backer in the States is that there is practically no 1080 HD being shown here in NZ that doesn't originate............guess where?

Yep, the States.

Take the "big 4" series (whatever they're called) and that's about it, period.

The major channels here will not/ cannot afford to commission HD work here in NZ, so end up buying it overseas. The smaller channels here aren't touching HD with a barge pole.

I appologise if you thought I was having a go at either you or your gear.

CS
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #397
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Ruffell View Post
New Zealand has about 4 million people in it. Of those approximately half have recently graduated film school... you will be up against a fair bit of competition.

Auckland has the most viable industry, but no nature.

The industry is freelance, I would be surprised if you find a full time position.

You will not find a job as a cameraman with your experience and proposed equipment. You may be lucky enough to find some casual work as a trainee.

The market is significantly different to the USA. My suggestion to you is to come with no pre conceived ideas or expectations. Have enough money to survive (cost of living is high here) and see what happens. Spend a week in Auckland looking for work... who knows, you might get lucky!

Ben Ruffell
My full-time position would probably be in marketing, not video.
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #398
Regular Crew

Wonderful! If you get that killer marketing position, convince them that you need a Corporate Video... I will fly up and shoot it for you, and you are more than welcome to come and hang out on set with me!
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:00 AM   #399
Regular Crew

Still looking for locations. HELP!
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM   #400
Inner Circle

Let us know a bit more about what you want for the abandoned building. Are you looking for something small like an old tobacco barn or something large like a factory?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM   #401
Regular Crew

What I'm looking for is just a simple furnished home with power of course. The other "abandoned" building I need is something that would resemble a crack house but with that I know power is an issue.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:43 AM   #402
New Boot

Ach! Should have emailed me Jacques, I have an XHA1.

Oh well get me next time.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM   #403
Regular Crew

Fun and unique music video project. San Diego, CA

We are looking for exciting and passionate individuals to help OCT 10-12 in San Diego. The videos are unique, and the subject matter is humorous, so it should be a fun shoot. Moreover, this will be released over the internet and because of the subject matter, it will likely result in significant exposure as well as media coverage. We already have a built in audience of 7000 people, who will see the video as soon as it is posted.

We are looking for
DP and or camera operator with an HVX200 or equivalent (35mm adapter a bonus)
Gaffers
Grips
Camera Assistants
Production Designers
Hair/Make Up Artists
PA's

Contact jrsdsu@gmail.com

Last edited by Joe Riggs; September 23rd, 2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: contact info
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #404
Regular Crew

Color Grading

I don't know if you're still looking but I could perhaps help you out.

I use COLOR and FCS 2. I can also do special effects/ compositing/ green screen, clean-up, etc. with After Effects if needed. I can design and apply (in conjunction with the Director) special looks to footage. I also have Tiffen DFX v2 filters and Magic Bullet for FCP.

I have most recently graded an HD feature film "Clear Lake, WI" (Clear Lake, WI (2008) ) and a 2K short film, as well as a music video shot on the RED camera. I can take RED footage edited with proxies and using Crimson, RedCine (in conjunction with an FCP > COLOR roundtrip and transcoding to ProRez.) I can access the original 4K camera files and take it from there (this is important because you don't want to grade the proxy files.)

I have a top-of-the-line Mac system: a Mac Pro Quad Core 3 GHz and a calibrated Broadcast HD monitor. At the end of the day it's extremely important that what you see is what you get. A lot of people don't have properly calibrated HD monitors.

I have color graded commercials, narrative films, documentaries, corporate videos and music videos. I can design and apply (in conjunction with the Director) special looks to your project after grading. I have an array of fancy filters, incl. Tiffen DFX v2 filters and Magic Bullet Looks for FCP and more in After Effects.

If needed, I can also do special effects/ compositing/ green screen, clean-up, etc. with After Effects, such as adding rain, snow and other weather effects.

You can see some color grading examples here:
Miklos Philips - Colorist

Don't hesitate to contact me for further info. Thank You. Best regards,

Miklos Philips
(310) 633-7639
IMDB: Mozgomedia [us]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carter View Post
I just put together my reel, shot on video. I'm looking for good colorist to get their opinion if my reels could benefit from some further tweaking. someone recommned I go on la411.com, but I could not find a colorist sections there. Hence, any recommendations appreicated. LA area preferred, but I'm open. thanks.
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #405
Regular Crew

Hello, I'm in NC Fayetteville, I have a XL1 and do footage for my church. it would be real cool if you let me come on set. So I can see different techniques and maybee even help, let me know, casualvic@hotmail.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands