Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 25th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #241
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rick,
I know what you mean. I've not experienced this with my GL2 but I have had such a weird color balance shift with my XL1s. In my case, the color balance began drifting towards daylight balance while shooting a tungsten-lit scene. After a moment of panic I realized I had mistakenly turned WB to Auto. Auto WB has a mind of its own, continuously statistically resampling the center portion of the image.

Color on continuous follow-shots when moving between indoor and outdoor settings is darn hard to control, especially if you've no control over the indoor lighting. The only advice I can offer is to either (a) break the shot to rebalance, or (b) try to set a manual balance that kinda works for both settings, assuming the indoor scene is not extremely warm.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #242
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has seen this kind of problem with a Canon unit. My GL1 is 3 years old, and I'm just waiting for the next major repair on it. It sounds like this white balance problem is just a shortcoming of the camera rather than a malfunction. I'll report back if I have any problems on the manual settings.

Thanks,

Rick
Old February 26th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #243
RED Code Chef

Or you can put gells on your lights indoor (or screw in different
bulbs) to match the outdoor light temperature.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:12 PM   #244
Tourist

wideangle for gl1

im tryin to decide what kind of wideangle lens i should get, ive been looking at the century optics .3x, the optex .3 and the raynox .3. The least expensive one is the raynox lens, i've heard rumors that this lens clamps on and breaks easily, i also heard that you get a margins on ur video. I havent heard much about the century otics and the optex lenses. All i know is that the century optics retails for about 700, and the optex goes for 350. Right now im leaning towards the optex lens. If anyone has any info that can help me out i would really appreciate it, and also does anyone know where i can buy the optex lens online?
thanks.
Alex Cristescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:05 PM   #245
Bob Petersen

GL2 vs. GL1 16:9

Has anyone compared the in-camera 16:9 capabilities of the Canon GL2 to the GL1. My GL1 does a poor job on anamorphic 16:9; there is a big loss in resolution when filming in this mode. I'm wondering if the GL2 is better since it has more pixels.
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #246
Wrangler

Using the electronic 16:9 is never going to be great. The best advice is to get on of the screw on anamorphic lens adapters which do a reasonable job.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #247
Regular Crew

I heard that with the anamorphic lenses, you can't zoom, pan, or move the camera without the image looking weird. Do these lenses only do static anamophic shots?
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #248
Regular Crew

how many hours is too many for a used GL1 ?

hello everyone. i'm a total newbie and this is my first post! these boards seem very well informed and everyone seems to treat each other well. nice job...

my question is how many hours is too many for a used GL1? i found one that seems like it has been VERY well taken care of and it has about 250 hours of use on it. the guy wants about $1200 for it and he said he would throw in a five hour battery.
it seems like a pretty good deal, but even though i am trying to research as much as i can on the internet, i must admit i don't know a whole lot about this gear.
i've been playing, engineering and producing music pretty seriously for more than ten years, so i do have a grasp on sensitive electronic gear, just not cameras. i woke up one day about a month and a half ago and just knew that i wanted to make decent looking low budget movies, so here i am.

sorry for the long post. any thoughts about whether this is a good deal are very appreciated. i'm sure taking the camera to a shop to get checked out is prudent. i'm just wondering whether or not i should worry about this or just go for it and fork it over for a GL2...

thanks everyone!
-ryan
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #249
Regular Crew

Hmm, whenever I ask this question I don't seem to get a reply. Anyone? please?

Thanks
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 04:43 PM   #250
Regular Crew

anybody have an opinion on this? pretty simple question: is 250 hours a lot of use for a GL1 in good shape or is it hardly any use....? how many hours is this camera good for, when taken care of?

i know SOMEBODY has a clue about this.... it would really help me decide what to do with my money.

thanks
-ryan
Old March 5th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #251
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ryan,
Unlike professional video cameras which track their head hours, there's no reliable measurement of prosumer cameras' usage hours.

Here's a recent thread basically on this topic that you might find informative. The concensus seems to be around 500 hours, but who's counting? <g>

Good luck on your prospective purchase!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #252
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

with the 16x9 anamorphics lens attachment you can pan , run , move camera , zoom but not full zoom ... you might only be able to use 60-80% of the zoom depending on the F stop ... you loose a little on the close focusing on med/long shots .. say with zoom at 50% ( long) it can focus at 5 ft then with the anamorphic it might be 8ft ...

you have to work with their limitations and the 16x9 image is very good ....
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #253
New Boot

Price fo GL1?

Is $2000 CAN, a good deal for a GL1?
Zach Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #254
Regular Crew

Ken -

thanks a lot for the reply and the link to the other thread!!
i should have searched the message board first. DUH!
the thread did give me some general info and that's just what i was after. thanks again!

ryan
Old March 6th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #255
Wrangler

Used model? Depends on the condition and amount of use. Check prices on Ebay, especially completed auctions for an idea of what the market is. Also, keep in mind that Ebay prices tend to be a bit on the high side.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders