MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:46 PM   #196
Regular Crew

More about the board

mix feed, line level
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:35 PM   #197
Wrangler

Line level is too high for the MA-100 inputs. It is likely to cause clipping. Use a mic level feed, and set the Audio1 input sensitivity to MIC ATT or MIC depending on whether the mic output level is -35 or -55 dBV.

If you have to use a line level feed, obtain an inline attenuator to reduce the signal appropriately.

Mixer output is typically on the order of +4 dBu, but there are variations so consult the loal expert on the house board to be sure.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:19 AM   #198
Regular Crew

Great, but...

back to my original question, do I need to
plug something into BOTH XLR jacks (on the
MA-100) to be able to record on both L and
R sides
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:30 AM   #199
Warden

Yes, you'll need a Y splitter. But the other issues Don mentioned are very significant and will effect your audio recording. Failure to get a proper audio match could make your recorded audio unusable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #200
Regular Crew

When I have recorded audio from the desk I used an two mono XLR to RCA adapters and connected to the camera not the MA100

Audio was ok but i think would have sounded better by just using the XL1s mic
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:34 PM   #201
Machinist Mate

Wow, if the onboard mic sounded better than the desk (mixer or board to us Yanks) something must have been amiss. If you were located in the back of the room (usual placement for FOH sound reinforcement systems, the onboard mic would sound like an echo chamber with lots of ambient noise. I record off the board whenever I can, and simply unplug the MA100 and put the mix right into those RCAs on the back of the cam, set to Audio !, which calls for line level. BTW, if it is a mono mix, you really only need to record one track (go into one input, your choice left or right) and center it in your edit later.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:13 PM   #202
Major Player

new Ma100, Me66, k6- can't hear a thing.

I didn't even realize there was a forum dedicated to XL1 audio lol. I posted this in the Now Hear This forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=18715

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 05:10 AM   #203
Wrangler

A common issue/question. The ME66 is a mono mic so the audio will be in the left or right channel only depending on how you connected it to the MA100. Some folks use "Y" cable to feed audio to both channels, others mix/pan the audio in post.

Out of the box the XL1 Audio 1 input defaults to consumer line level (-11 dBV). From the menu, set the Audio 1 input level to MIC or MIC ATT, MIC ATT may work OK for the ME66 under typical circumstances due to its high output level. Those settings have a sensitivity of -55 and -35 dBV for MIC level sources.
Old December 24th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #204
Major Player

Is that on an in camera menu? Can I reach it on any setting. I've been through them a few times and havn't come across them. If you could tell me how to get to them, it would be very helpfull. Thanks.

edit: I found it. Thank you for your help.

second edit: Upon testing it this morning and actually seeing it work, a feeling of warmth passed over me :-) Thank you so much. I am new to off camera sound, and pretty new to the camera, and just got all these new accessories, so I was having trouble. Thank you very much.

Happy Holidays.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #205
Regular Crew

MA-200 Question

What are the three screws on the top of the MA-200 used for? I am sure something can mount there but what?
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #206
Trustee

The three screws are used to attach a metal plate ( which is provided with the MA-100/MA-200). With this plate, you can mount either the Canon CH-910 dual Battery Holder or a wireless microphone receiver.

Hope this help,
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #207
Regular Crew

the problem

is apparantly that metal plate which the ma-100 came with dosent come in all the boxes for the ma-200. I didnt get mine but attatched my anton bauer plate there.

If you look at the picture of the ma-100, since you apparantly didnt get one either you will see a picture of the plate. Having both is nice you should see if canon will sell that part then you have mounting for a battery holder and wireless with both plates the ma-100 on the three screw, and the pull out bars.

m
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #208
New Boot

Good Point sir
I have looked at this 3 screw anomoly and wondered "What is that for?" but then other things came into my head. It does look like a mounting place but there is nothing that came with the MA200 that fits the bill. Whatever it is it must be small as when the extender bars are closed there is not that much head room for said mountable "whatever it is" oblect

Regards

Jed

CUL
Jed Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #209
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. My MA-200 did not come with a metal plate for attaching there. It did come with a place that mounts on the slide out bracket and from the instruction the CH-910 dual battery holder attaches but I have a wireless receiver there instead. I was wonder if there was a bracked to support a battery at the three screw location. Will give Canon a call.

Thanks
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #210
Regular Crew

Just got off the phone with Canon Technical support and they don't know what mounts there either. I found a close up of the MA-100 plate and it has the three screw holes so it appears if you could get the plate alone you could have a second mount as suggested earlier.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog