MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 8th, 2002, 06:38 PM   #61
New Boot

MA-100 & phantom supply

Thank you. I happen to have a Mackie, but can you recommend a separate phantom supply mfr? And there wouldn't be any conflicts w/ camera DC?
Joji Minatogawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2002, 06:51 PM   #62
Major Player

I have an Audio Technica 4-channel, although I believe that there are several others out there. I got mine from B&H. Most of the time, unless I'm strapped for room, I use the Mackie. It gives me more control over the audio. I've also found that, when running 100+ feet of XLR cable, stray hum has been more of an issue with the A-T box than the Mackie. Best to experiment.
Old March 8th, 2002, 10:42 PM   #63
New Boot

Phantom

Thank you again Vic. I'll check around. Also, looks like we can just yell across the lake!
Joji Minatogawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2002, 01:33 AM   #64
Major Player

You're welcome -- that's what these forums are all about, and you'll find an amazingly helpful, non-judgmental group here -- probably the best of all the boards.

Until you mentioned it, I didn't notice you were close -- these days, though, you'd have to yell loud to get through the damn snowstorm!

Cheers
Old March 9th, 2002, 07:34 AM   #65
Major Player

I use the AKG C-1000S which requires phantom power. If power is not available from the mixer, a 9V battery can be placed inside the mic. Your model may not have that capability, but for those that want to use condenser mics connected directly to the camera without first going through a mixer, battery power is a simple alternative to external phantom power supplies.
Old March 10th, 2002, 03:09 PM   #66
dtnelson66

MA100 questions

MA100 or Beachtek? best mic? lav? wireless?

I'm expecting my new XL1s to arrive this week and am looking int the sound equipment I should buy. I've had some experience using a Beachtek with both the XL1 and the Sony VX2000, but havn't even touched an ma100.

I'll be using the camera for a variety of purposes. I'll be shooting narrative shorts (maybe even a feature length in the future), documentary, music videos for local bands and (because I also have to eat) wedding and business/corporate videos.

I've followed several threads on this forum and have gotten a few insights (pluses on the Beachtek being more easily accepting line inputs, etc.) I had some bad experiences with the Beachtek on the VX2000 (hiss and a little hum - many people had the same problems), but since Im getting an XL1s, I wanted to get some input on which might work better for the types of videos I'll be shooting.

Also, what are some of the best mics (shotgun, lav, wireless) - and then - what are some of the best mic for someone on a budget (I don't want to sacrifice quality though).

Derrick
Old March 10th, 2002, 03:33 PM   #67
Major Player

In addition to XLR inputs, the MA-100 also provides a better shoulder rest -- if that's not a concern, the Beachtek gives you more versatility. I've used both, and I've never experienced a hum issue with either. I suspect you had something external going on. Since the Beachtek is a passive device, it's not subject to overloading, as is the MA-100.

On the subject of microphones, there are entire books written about the subject. No one genre of mic will do it all. They need to be tailored to the situation. There is quite a bit of info on various adapters, mics, etc. on these boards, and in the articles on the XL-1 Watchdog pages. Search around a little -- there's a wealth of knowledge. In the audio arena, there is a good forum moderated by Jay Rose (DV Magazine audio editor) at the dv.com forums.

Enjoy spending the money -- these things absorb it like a sponge!
Old March 13th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #68
Wrangler

Second on Jay Rose

Jay Rose is well worth a cruise through.

Your VX2000 problem may well have been related to early problems with VX2000. That problem has been resolved.

You can spend lots of money on mics. Best thing is to stay with the brand names. Sennheiser, Audio-Technia, Lectsonics, etc all make great equipment.

Cruise through the threads here on mics and stuff and you will find loads.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #69
MatJSutor

Using the XL-1's Mic and the MA-100

Does anyone have any tips on how to use a Wireless Mic and the XL-1's mic both going into the MA-100. You see I want to use the Xl-1's Mic in 16 Bit mode while still using the Wireless mic as well. The thing I hate is that if you only have one Wireless mic and you want to record in 16 bit you only get the one channel.

Thanks,

Mat Sutor
Old April 18th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #70
Major Player

Your question is discussed in the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=502&highlight=xl1+mic
Old April 18th, 2002, 05:30 PM   #71
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Ed... I suppose this should be in a FAQ somewhere.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2002, 10:30 AM   #72
Regular Crew

MA100 noise

Ok, I'm using a balanced "vocal" mic [not sure, but I think it's an EV @$150], about 30' cord and only one channel @48k. XL1S. Shortest cord that'll do the job.

I seem to have a good amount of noise (ie bad s/n) that is better with a pd150. Okay, I admit to using ACG on both. I understand this will pump up the gain during soft passages, but even at normal levels, the s/n is poor, IMO.

First with only one xlr input, should I connect both rca plugs? Is it possible I'm getting some noise because the open channel is causing the gain to pump up and it bleeds to the channel in use?

Isn't y-cording the one into two channels going to also cause some degradation of signal?

What do you recommend for a solo xlr input?
Old June 8th, 2002, 10:44 AM   #73
Wrangler

What model is the mic? Condensor or dynamic?

How are you connecting the mic to the XL1s?

How are you monitoring the noise level?
How is the nosie level in manual gain mode?

Is the noise in one channel more thtn the other?

Y-cording may result in some loss of level, whether or not this is serious depends on the precise configuration and impedances involved.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #74
kasteede

Azden 400 UDR too heavy for MA-100

I use my XL1S predominately for weddings where I put a cordless mic on the officiator and the groom. I have been using 2x Azden 400UDR's for about a year but they are extremely heavy, and my MA-100 finally broke (the little duck-bill like piece that is wedged in the back of the XL1 broke off).

I also find the weight too uncomfortable for longer periods of handheld work.

I've just ordered the MA-200 and 2x Samson UM32's.

Does anyone else use this combination - please share your experiences.

Is anyone else using 2x cordless mic's with the XL1/S - What brand and models?

thanks in advance,
Keith
Old June 11th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #75
Obstreperous Rex

Consider the VariZoom Media Pro (called the SP7 shoulder brace on the Watchdog). It's big enough and sturdy enough for all this plus an XLR adapter. www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm > Articles Menu > Support Options > SP7 Shoulder Brace. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog