Show Your Work 2004 - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old August 8th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #496
Regular Crew

Hi Charles! I loved the choice of music in your movie! If I'm not mistaking, is it from Infernal Affairs?

Great movie, man!

-KiN
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #497
Tourist

What's up Glenn. Yeah, that was me. Sorry for the late reply - been extremely busy lately. And for the record, Vegas is just ok. I went with PPro instead.

Check out the movie and let me know what you think.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #498
Wrangler

<<<-- And for the record, Vegas is just ok. I went with PPro instead.
lol...that's cool- to each their own.

Check out the movie and let me know what you think. -->>>
Will do man. Meanwhile here's a post with some of my work..and a description of how I achieved some of the shots in Vegas. I'll be posting some wedding related clips soon...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=28846

Great to hear from you again- hope to see you around.
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #499
Regular Crew

What is best encoding for web previews?

I can encode my videos to any format, but what are some of the easier, decent quality suggestions out there? Till now I've been rendering as .wmv files set for 256kbps transfers, with 16 bit, mono audio. They come out ok, but some of the previews I've been looking at here look really good.
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #500
Trustee

edited test footage for upcoming short

I'm preparing to shoot a short film "Music Box" towards the end of this month. Below is some of the test footage using the mini35/XL1s edited into a one minute piece for your viewing pleasure.

www.starcentral.ca/trailers/MusicBox.mov

Enjoy!

Dennis,

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #501
Major Player

Jim Jam 2004

Well every year my friends and I have a BMX contest in my friend Jimmy's backyard. We build ramps out of old scrap wood that we find laying around, spraypaint it up and have a big bbq. This year was probably the best yet, we only had the police come out once but when they figured out that we were willing to put up a fight, they left (we had 50 people against them). Anyway, it was a blast. Lots of people just hanging out, drinking, riding, and just having a good ole time. There were a few bad crashes but nobody died, and I was hit a few times while shooting video of the contest. Footage may be a bit shaky because I'm sprinting around the course with my camera to get the shots, with no tripod, and the exposure of the clips may change slightly, thanks to Florida weather (cloudy one second, bright the next) and no time in between to adjust my settings.

Enjoy...

http://www.bmxbums.com/videos/jimjam.mov
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #502
Major Player

Check out my new short

Hi,
First of all, the short is in Spanish, so I donīt expect much feedback on the story, but if anyone can watch it, Iīd appreciate input on image, editing, etc...

The short was shot with the Canon XM2. It was edited with Vegas 4.
A few cokin filters where used (ND and difussers).
There are also a few shots done with the Sony PDX-10.

I might add subtitles in english if I get requests on this, I just donīt have enough time now to do that and not have at least a few english speaking persons watching it.

www.efedib.com/videos/porqciegos.mov
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #503
Regular Crew

Hi Federico,

I just watched your short, but unfortunately I only know 4 maybe 5 words in Spanish so it was a struggle comprehending. :]

It would be nice to see subtitles, but I can understand how much more work that would be. However you'd probably get more fruitful replies if you did, at least on this board.

* Can you talk a bit more about how you put this together? (mics, lights, editor, etc.)

* Did you shoot this all in a day?

* What other kind of gear did you use indoors and outdoors?

* In the dialogue shots between the two characters sitting at the desk, did you stop down after each person said their line, or did you have the first character do a run through, then repeat the whole scene with the camera on the other person?

It's pretty hard to determine the quality because of the compression, but I understand that posting a better quality version of your short would take up a ton of space and bandwidth.

Could you post a few high res stills?

Thanks!
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #504
Regular Crew

Hey Jason I just watched your short and i hope you wouldnt object to me offering some criticism. I'm by no means a expert, but a few things in the video jump out as being unproffesional. One of the largest and most common problems with amateur films is that people forget to record nat sound. Before you shoot a scene in a given location, record the surroundings for the duration of the scene. This comes in handy for maintaining continuity during cutaways. It makes you very aware that you are watching a movie when you hear a car one moment and the next do not.

One more very imporant thing would be to get a tripod or possibly a steadicam. I also have a gl2 and i know how hard it is to hold a little cam like that steady. This film does not benefit from a documentary style, because the subject matter is rather surreal. It just reminds you once again the action on the screen is being shot with a camera, which is a bad thing in this case.

And lastly, I would reccomend that you take more time in pre production to plan out your story and your shots. Some points just dont make sense, like where the girl stomps on the villain's toe and he is suddenly turned around both physically and emotionally. You undertook a very ambitious project with this story. You could have easily taken these plot points and expanded it into a feature. If you plan to make a shorter film, I would take on less action and add more character development. i know you were trying to tell an exciting story, but we had no idea who these people were or what was going on so the events had no meaning, and were very hard to get interested in. But all these points aside, I commend you for getting out there and making film, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and thats what its all about!
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #505
Major Player

Some stills:
http://www.efedib.com/videos/ciegosstills/
(Jpegs 100% quality)

Ok... a bit more about this:

* Production, it was shot in three half days, 1 for office, 1 for park, and 1 for streets. Not more than 15 hours alltogether.

* Dialog: I let the first character tell the whole long lines on itīs own, and I let him improvised a little, so these where prett long shots.
After that, all dialogs with replies, where done bit by bit, maybe a few lines each. Mostly because the second guy, the one with the laptop, is not an actor, and was a last minute replacement so we had to rehearse almost line by line.
By the way, it works wonders, when you tell that itīs just a rehearse, and donīt let them know you are recording. More than half of the shots of this guy where recorded rehearse.

* Lighting...
- Indoors used two 500w work lights, some blue gels to match sunlight coming from the windows, and some homemade white reflection boards.
- Outdoors... just the white reflection boards.

* Filters..
- Indoors, Cokin diffuser. (0820 I think)..
- Outdoors, Cokin ND 4 plus the one in the camera.

* Audio...
- Azden SGMX2

* Post, it was all done on Vegas 4.
- For the indoors, there was some colour correction done, and a few levels adjustment. But not much.

- For the outdoors, The "blue" And white grainy hard contrast parts, was done using some levels, and the film effect that comes with Vegas...
- Also there was a lot of time playing in Vegas

And thatīs about it..

About compression.. well, Iīm starting to hate quiktime..
If I ever get to do the subtitles Iīll upload it on WMV, which I appear to get a lot of better result with...
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #506
RED Code Chef

That's a really tough question to answer and really depends a
lot on personal preference, options available and audience.

Most commonly used format must be QuickTime and then WMV
indeed. Both formats are just place holders where you can use
different codecs. The question is then which codec are you using
and try some different ones to see what they do.

For AVI (and I believe you can use this with WMV as well) DiVX
or MPEG4 is quite popular as well. QuickTime can use it as well,
but most seem to still use a flavor of Sorenson there.

Expirement experiment experiment!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:44 AM   #507
RED Code Chef

Regarding QuickTime and your video. You are already wasting
precious bandwidth and thus bits in your file by compressing
the letterbox (black bars). Cut those off for web distribution and
you will already loose 1/3 of your image for compression.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #508
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Regarding QuickTime and your video. You are already wasting
precious bandwidth and thus bits in your file by compressing
the letterbox (black bars). Cut those off for web distribution and
you will already loose 1/3 of your image for compression. -->>>

Mmmmm....
Now, why didnīt think about that?
Itīs so obvious thing to do, it makes me feel stupid...
Well... afterall, I might end up doing those subtitles, so I have an extra motive to do that.

Thanx...
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #509
Regular Crew

Federico.. sounds pretty cool. Thanks for posting the stills.

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with quicktime.. I love it and use DiVX when exporting video out from final cut express on my mac. Since you're using other programs and maybe a pc, it might be a bit more challenging though.
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #510
Major Player

Looks like you have some vignetting in some shots.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work