Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old January 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #331
Slash Rules!

Awesome. Simply awesome.

So he's basically advertising for a prostitute, and if she happens to want to record it, cool, but not necessary.
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #332
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
James, I commend you for being able to get those rates for a camera alone, especiallys since most rental houses (around here, can't speak for anywhere else) only charge $175 for their DVXs). I cannot.
Well, let me say that the only time I get that rate for my gear is for corporate and personal clients. I've only gotten that once x2 on a network show for 3 days and about five times x2 on a 5 day pilot. There's no way that would fly with most of the other production companies I currently and have worked for. In fact I lost $350 over a 2 day rental ($175 per day) for one of my cameras because I held my ground. They ended up getting a DSR 570 with a $15K HD lens for the rate of a PD 150 because the rental house was out of PD 150s. What a deal, they made out great on that deal! I worked on the show but I just didn't get the rental. I could kick myself for that one but I thought they would come around. A lesson learned. I am not a rental house though so I can't give those rates. They usually have several units and that's all they do. I have to be the operator of my gear except for a couple of other shooters that I trust and we share our gear for rentals all the time.
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #333
Regular Crew

Quote:
"Please don't respond if you don't have experience getting good shots as a videographer. We could ask any one of the students to hold a camera; we want someone who knows how to shoot."
Hahahahaha, LMAO! Then why the hell don't they!
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #334
Regular Crew

Keith, that's right up there with Josh's earlier post. Downright naughty, not to mention strange!
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #335
Capt. Quirk

James... Does that not fall in with this topic? If not, I appologise. It's title caught my eye, and of course, curiosity made me read the thing. Then, I laughed, and thought of this thread :)
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #336
Slash Rules!

Ah, well, there you go. I don't have clients, per se, usually work for production companies, and I've certainly never had the honor of working on a real show. Well, not as a camera guy anyway. I've done the PA thing.
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #337
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
James... Does that not fall in with this topic?
Well of course it does if it involves video production along with ridiculous and/or strange terms! And that..........is ridiculous and strange, not to mention just plain naughty.
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #338
Inner Circle

James, are you looking at craigslist NYC? I saw the exact same post there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
4 hours max? Well that makes me feel better. No, wait a minute, that's just for the hours of shooting not including editing. Oh, I get to do that for free? Ok, thanks!

"Professional Videographer needed for an event to be held Monday Jan. 30th.

Filming will last for at least 3 hours. Must be able to produce High-Quality video & also finished edited product. Digital equipment perferred be not required.

Must have previous work experience (video) to submit as examples.

The job pays $25 per hour with 3 hour minimum & 4 hour max. :)

For more info feel free to call Xxxxxxxxxxx or respond to email below."
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #339
Inner Circle

Josh, did you see this in Houston? This too was posted on Craigslist NYC today too.

Quote:
Anyway, this one wouldn't be that notable except for the attitude:

"THIS WEEKEND: Videographer/Cameraperson for MA documentary short
Reply to: gigs-126419019@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-18, 2:51PM EST

THIS WEEKEND, we're shooting some B roll for a mini-documentary on a martial arts legend. This martial artist is arguably one of the best self-defense practitioners in the world, and certainly one of the most controversial.

We have a Sony TRV900 (though you can use your own equipment if you prefer) and a shotgun mic. We're looking for someone to videotape during the seminar(s). Prefer a martial artist enthusiast. It will be either Saturday or Sunday (flexible), and you will be working with a director. There is no pay available. We are offering one month of quality instruction in our school, and of course you gain access to these exclusive seminars with this master--which we guarantee will not be boring. He is also one of the most charming and funny personalities you will meet.

[asshole]Please don't respond if you don't have experience getting good shots as a videographer. We could ask any one of the students to hold a camera; we want someone who knows how to shoot. Please send a resume, cover letter, and if possible some links to your material.[/asshole]

* There's also a brief interview with him that we're working out for Sunday, and may need minimal lights (or someone who knows how to light with practicals), so if you take an interest and want to contribute further, we would not turn you away.

Thanks for looking! "

My, aren't we cocky for a non-paying gig! And I like how they somehow learned the meaning of "practicals".
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #340
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
James, are you looking at craigslist NYC? I saw the exact same post there.
Yep, I wonder where this event is? If the pay is so low then how are they going to travel a crew? Cheap and dumb!
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #341
Slash Rules!

Damn. . .you bastards found my secret ridiculous post goldmine.
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #342
Capt. Quirk

This one seems pretty low ball to me as well...

Vacancy: Live Broadcast Crew
Employer: Gem & Jewelry Network
Duration: This is a permanent position, starts Immediately

Looking to work with a national television company that’s going big places?

Now hiring experienced production personnel for an immediate start for live nightly broadcasts.

Must be willing to work nights, live near or be able to drive to Kissimmee. Pay starts at $10/hour and higher based on experience.

Positions Available:

Studio Camera Operator

We are hiring studio camera operators for live national broadcasts. Duties include, but are not limited to, all aspects of operation: studio camera operator, studio set-up and cleaning, assisting with studio lighting and other general duties as assigned. Creativity, technical know-how and the ability to work quickly and under pressure is also encouraged.
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #343
Trustee

ROTFLOL!! $10 an hour for a live broadcast crew?! Thats only just above the minimum wage in the UK!

What are they using in their OB truck? A Fisher Price "My First OB Kit"?
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #344
Capt. Quirk

I agree 100%. It is amazing the people with legitimate production jobs paying almost nothing, yet I saw an ad for camera op in adult films paying $300-$500 per shoot. If this keeps up, I'll ditch legitimate production.
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #345
Trustee

No need to ditch legit production. Just run your own company. The companies that do this kind of low balling rake in the money for themselves while paying the people who help them to make that money absolutely zero.

The saying that applies very well to the video and film world is that "you get what you pay for". No matter how saturated the market becomes, the really skilled people will not lowball. Cheap will always remain cheap, and their productions will reflect that. One way to combat this is for people, even newbies, NOT to lowball themselves. We enjoy our work for sure, but everyone in this business has to make enough money to live on.

Problem is that there is always a University leaver somewhere who wants to get their foot in the door and will go to any lengths to do so, and will accept such rates. And there's a load of production companies out there that know this.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business