Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #736
Regular Crew

Ed, thanks for the compliment and additional help. I think I finally found the source of the problem.

In Barenson's "speech" scene, the sound had some audible background noise (a constant low buzz) and I decided to run the audio through Cool Edit (now known as Adobe Audition) to clean up the noise. I then took this edited audio file and replaced the original audio with it.

I tried exporting the clip again with the ORIGINAL audio file, instead of the edited one, and lo and behold, the pops were gone!

However, this makes me wonder: Does anyone use audio tools to clean up their video sound? If so, what tools and what processes? And when cleaning up your audio, how do you avoid the problem that I ran into (converting sample rates maybe)? Thanks for your help.
Old November 9th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #737
Inner Circle

Changing sample rates can cause pops. Some programs don't do a very good job at it. You usually shouldn't have to change sample rates though- everything should be 48khz to begin with. Maybe you used some mp3s or CD sound.

Sometimes you have to clean up sound because it wasn't recorded that well. Cool Edit Pro seems to be pretty good at cleaning up sound. The BBC has an online course/tutorial (FREE) on how they use Cool Edit Pro. http://www.bbctraining.co.uk/onlineCourses.asp Check it out!
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #738
Regular Crew

Corey,
I can tell you that it does eat up quite a bit more cpu cycles than 6.5 but I think your right, you should have plenty of pc to use it with no problem. I can't find my box. What does Adobe recommend as far as processor and ram? I am only using a 1.83Mhz AMD processor w/ 512 DDR ram and I can tell alot of difference from 6.5.

Randy Brazell
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #739
New Boot

Ed,

Thanks so much again. As far as why I've been using quicktime -you know, at first I had been trying to output AVI without codec (i believe the default is no compression), when I didn't have enough knowledge to realize what a codec even was. When I tried to play the files in windows media they didn't play in a smooth way, so I chose quicktime and the files seemed smaller and smoother. I just rendered an AVI file with the microsoft DV codec, and it was still larger (186 MG versus 146 MB) than the quicktime with sorenson 3 codec. When I watched it in fullscreen (the avi on windows media versus the quicktime on the quicktime player), the AVI was of much lower quality and had all sorts of pixelated jaggies that the quicktime file doesn't have? I am basically trying to get a quality that would look good on DVD and that could potentially be screened at a small independent film festival (for example a South Asian Film Festival). This is just a warmup project, but in the following couple of years I'm hoping to do a documentary on the partiition between India and Pakistan, and the impact of this experience on the collective psyche of those nations and that region. Anyway, is there a specific AVI codec that you recommend, the options I have are:

microsoft dv, cinepak codec, microsoft windows media 9, intel IYUV, intel indeo (R) video R3.2, microsoft video 1, microsoft RLE, no compression, intel 4:2:0 video 2.5, microsoft h 263 and microsoft h 261

on quicktime there a ton of codecs there as well, i don't know if one would better suit my purpose than another. is there a disadvantage to quicktime? the files seem to be large, but smaller than what i've gotten so far with the AVI. but i don't know how the quality compares beyond these preliminary experiences. you know, as i type this, i am wondering whether i had my settings at best quality and full resolution when i rendered the AVI using the microsoft DV codec. if not, that might explain the jaggies, but if so, the new file with best settings would be that much larger as well i believe.

great, thanks so much for any words of wisdom!

khenu
Old November 9th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #740
New Boot

Hi Ed,

Just wanted to confirm that I was in fact using the best settings, the results just didn't seem as nice as with quicktime with regards to jaggies and such, at least with the microsoft DV codec. I don't know if the other AVI codecs I mentioned might be better, if this is some flaw of windows media player (as I am comparing it to the quicktime files being shown in the quicktime player), and if there are other advantages to AVI versus quicktime... Thanks!

Khenu
Old November 9th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #741
Regular Crew

I have Premiere Pro with a 2.66 p4, 128MB Radeon 9700 and 1GB ram with a 129GB 8meg cache hdd. I have no problems running it although I have had problems with After Effects but a format took care of that. Might not be the answer you're looking for but its just an option ;)
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #742
Regular Crew

I'm on a 1.8 GHZ P4, 768 MB of RAM, 120 GB HD(8 MB Cache, 7200 RPM) and an NVIDIA 64 MB RIVA. A quick change of the video rendering codec totally fixed the skipping frames. I had it on Intel 5.01, switched it to Microsoft Video 1, and don't have anymore problems.
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:33 AM   #743
Wrangler

Khenu,

How were you comparing the two fromats? were they at the resolution of your monitor or the resolution of the clip? you will notice jaggies and the such when viewing at a bigger resolution than the video clip size. You should really be comparing them on a TV monitor. Any way...

Becuase you are editing on a PC it natively uses AVI. If you were editing on a mac then Quick time would be more suited. Another reason is that you will not have to render as much when using a DV Avi in premiere compared to using a quick time file.

The microsoft codec is known to have a few problems and not be as good as what it could be. However most people find that it gives them acceptable quality.

Another reason why it might be more grainy is if you have applied any colour corrections to the clip.

Is there anyway that you could post a picture or a small clip to show the problem?

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:36 AM   #744
Wrangler

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear that you sorted the problem. I currently do not do any post work on audio, however when the need arises i.m sure I will.

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #745
Regular Crew

How do I go about changing that?

Thanks.

They reccomend a 3.06 ghz, but I really don't think that extra 700 mhz is the difference between skipping frames.
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #746
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help guys! We had our Mock Elections voting today, so I'm hoping that Gabe...er..."John Allen Barenson" ends up winning. Anyways, here's a link to the finished version with the fixed audio: http://zed.cbc.ca/go.ZeD?CONTENT_ID=...nt&user=Cyi101

By the way, if you guys are looking for a free site to host your movies, check out the site I used above, http://zed.cbc.ca/. They offer 200 megs of space, and unlimited bandwidth (really fast too). And they say that if your content is good enough, they'll air it on their Candian television program, lol.
Old November 11th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #747
New Boot

Maybe a long shot, but when is the last time you defrag-ed your hard drive?

Also check out:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf
Old November 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #748
RED Code Chef

Did you try searching at Microsoft's Support site?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #749
Regular Crew

how to follow the "edit line marker" in timeline (in Adobe Premiere)?

hello,
my question is for Adobe Premiere users.
When I play my project, the Edit Line Marker plays along the clip (in the timeline). When it reaches far right, it dissapears out of the timline (but the video keeps playing). how do I let Premiere follow the Edit Line? it's annoying not seeing where the Edit Line is at while playing.
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #750
RED Code Chef

I think you needed to hold down the space bar in previous
versions of Premiere?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite