View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Steven Gotz
May 8th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I doubt it is a transition. More likely a keyframed blur. Not a general blur, but a directional blur where the distance of the blur is keyframed from a high number to zero and back to a high number.

Edward Natale
May 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Hey all,

How can I change a stereo track to a mono track in premiere short of exporting a mono file from premiere? The problem is that I mic my subjects with a lapel mic on channel 1, and when I import into premiere I only get audio levels on the left channel.

This seems like it would be a simple thing to do but I cant seem to figure it out.

Thanks,

Eddie

Casey Visco
May 9th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Steven is correct, keyframing a directional blur's strength (or amount/distance) value will accomplish this. The trick is to find a high enough value for the second keyframe to obscure what the image or text is, so you can do just a short dissolve to the next clip, which would be keyframed backwards from extremely blurred, to no blur.

You could still classify this is a transition, just not one of PPro's built in ones.

Steven Gotz
May 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM
By the way, I should have mentioned that in Premiere Pro, you can only select 100% (as I recall) for a blur with the slider bar. But you will notice that you can manually type in a much higher number (200%), which gives a much better blur for this putpose.

Ed Smith
May 10th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Hey Edward,

What version of Premiere are you using?

I think this is how it was done in 6/6.5:

Place your mono audio onto an audio track of the timeline, right click on it and then choose audio options and then select dublicate right/ left depending on what side the audio was recorded on.

I guess if you want to turn a stereo track into a mono, then all you need do is apply the PAN filter and make sure that its either 100% right/left depending on what side you want the audio.

Jonathan Posch
May 10th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Can someone please help, I'm desperate. I have a short film(uni dissertation) that was mean't to be handed in
today. I have it all finished in the timeline, but when I go back to preview it some of my titles and transition fades have dissappeared, I cannot work out why, all I can get in the manual is something about saving preview files to a folder in
on a separate hard drive dedicated to video, which I have done. There was pink lines in the preview indicator area above the titles that were'nt working, but they dissappeared after I built a preview, so I can't see why they are not working.
Also when I do volume fades on my audio tracks they work fine at first, then after a few minutes they don't work. I'm rendering and building preview's, is there something I'm not doing or doing wrong.

I'm running version 6 on an apple G4 400 with 512meg and a second 80 gig HD 7200rpm for video.

Any Help I'll be forever grateful.

jon

Jonathan Posch
May 10th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Since I made the last post, I have worked out that the titles that are not playing are offline
(whatever that means) thing is they are in the same folder as the ones that are working. I'm I not storing these properly
(correct folder or something?) the audio fades have just decided to work again, but as for the transistion fades still nothing?

Thanks

jon

Ed Smith
May 10th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Hi Jon,

Sometimes premiere can get its self in a pickle. On a PC you normally delete/ rename the Prem60.prf file I believe. That will reset all settings in Premiere to default. Or you can normally hold down CTRL+SHIFT key while opening premiere.

Offline normally means that they have disappeared from the normal place where they were.

Could you save the project as a differnt name, when it asks whether you want to keep the preview files say no. Then re-open the newly saved project and build your previews again?

Edward Natale
May 11th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using premiere pro. I found a selection called "breakout to mono clips" but unfortunately its ALWAYS grayed out and unselectable.

Thanks again,

Eddie

Ming Dong
May 11th, 2004, 10:57 AM
After reading your replies, I looked up "keyframe" in PPro's Online Help. Tried it, and it worked! Thanks!

BTW - You can set the Blur length (in Directional Blur) as high as 1000.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
May 11th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I wanted to apprise y'all that VASST has released "Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video" featuring Rich Harrington, which is a nearly 6-hour, 2 DVD9 training product. You can view the product at http://www.vasst.com/dvdproducts/photoshopcs.htm
We're aware of the many training products on Photoshop that are out there, yet this one is unique in it's approach to Photoshop for digital video.
The entire 2 disc set was done/produced on a Mac system, with 3 screens all visible in the set.

DVinfonet users, use the keycode "COMM" to get a whoppin' discount.

Ming Dong
May 12th, 2004, 12:54 PM
...render times are atrocious! Think days, not hours.

This is the free plug-in you can download from Adobe after registering PPro.

I tried the various effects and liked "Filmic" the best, so I applied it to a 1hr video.

That was 24 hrs ago, and it is still rendering! System is not "hung" because PPro progress bar is moving, albeit slowly.

This on my P4 2.4/800 with 1GB RAM, and Windows Task Manager is showing 100% CPU usage!

Michael Martens
May 12th, 2004, 08:49 PM
I have two one hour instructional videos that occupy about the entire space of my edit hard drive. I need to move on and work on other projects. Since its possible, but unlikely, that these projects would need to revised, I'm wondering if the following method of archiving the project would work.

I plan to save my project files, batch capture lists, titles, graphics, etc on CDROM and dump the actual AVI files as a space saving measure. I figure if I need to ever revise the projects, I could use the batch capture lists to reload the source footage back into Premiere.

Does anyone do anything like this? Will this work or will I run into trouble trying to put the pieces back together. I'm using Premiere 6.5 and a Matrox RTX.10 if that makes a difference.

Michael

Ned Hamilton
May 13th, 2004, 05:12 AM
If you have been careful to leave the captured avi files where they were captured, it should be a good way to archive. But remember that newer versions of Premiere or some other editing tool may not read your EDL files.

Another way if your budget allows, purchase a FireWire hard drive large enough to hold your entire project, move the files there and store the hard drive somewhere safe.

Ronnie Grahn
May 13th, 2004, 02:13 PM
You put it on a 1 hour video? That's going to take like a week.
Try it on a 10 sec or 1 minute long clip first and time it.

Johnny Chiang
May 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Any easy way to do this?

Rich Lee
May 16th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I have herd there is some sort of plugin for 24p advanced footage for premiere. is this true? whats it called?what version of premiere does this work in?

Peter Richardson
May 16th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Hi guys--I am trying to import an mpeg2 file that I have on CD into Premiere Pro, but I keep getting this error message: "No Importer Found that Supports this File Type." What gives? Obviously Premiere supports mpeg2,right? thanks for the help,

Peter

Ed Smith
May 16th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Does it play alright through windows media player? What sort of MPEG 2 file is it? What is its file extension name (*.mp2, *.mpeg, *.mpg....)?

Cheers,

Alexey Ravichev
May 16th, 2004, 05:21 PM
This is probably a dumb question but I am absolutely new to Premiere. Here's what I have: I shot my friends birthday and now I am trying to edit it. Since I don't have a list of all scenes with timecode I guess my best option is to capture it all together, right? Then I am trying to break this huge file into smaller ones that contain only one scene, so i put a big file in the timeline and cut it, then select small piece and go to "export movie" trying to save as a separate file. But it looks like premiere starts recompressing it again. I am afraid to lose quality doing this, so I'd appreciate your help. Is my procedure optimal for what I am trying to do? How to make premiere export without recompressing?

Michael Richard
May 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM
It's called Premiere Pro version 1.5. Should be out soon.

Keith Loh
May 16th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Run the movie through this program and it will tell you if you have any codecs missing:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Rob Lohman
May 17th, 2004, 05:43 AM
With the latest version of Premiere you can also automatically
break up the clips while capturing (where you stopped and
started the camera) like Vegas and Scenalyzer do. That can be
handy depending on how you want to work.

Premiere should not recompress, but that totally depends on the
following:

1) your version of Premiere

2) your capture settings

3) your project settings

4) your export settings

So tell us what you are doing at those 4 steps and we'll see if
we can figure it out.

Rob Lohman
May 17th, 2004, 05:44 AM
I doubt it will also run with Media Player. The first question we
need answering is which version of premiere you are running...

Peter Richardson
May 17th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Hey guys--The file will play in Windows Media Player. I'm running Premiere Pro, I think version 7 (this is just a guess). I believe the file extension was .mp2, and I think we tried changing this to .mpeg hoping it would help, but it didn't. Perhaps we should try different file extensions? Thanks!

Peter

Rob Lohman
May 18th, 2004, 02:27 AM
You can try .mpg but I doubt it will work. The question is what
kind of MPEG2 file it is. It can be an elementery stream, program
stream or transport stream and I doubt it will read all three forms.

Any chance this came from a digital sattelite / cable source and
is an mpeg2 transport stream? Almost no programs can handle
that format.

Peter Richardson
May 18th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm not sure specifically what kind of .mpeg file it is. It was output from Premiere 6.5 as an mpeg, so whatever Premiere outputs it as would be the format. I'm thinking I will just try to import it into Avid Xpress Pro and transcode it into something else, assuming Xpress Pro can understand it. I will report back with findings.

Peter

Indian Ashfaq
May 19th, 2004, 12:24 AM
I recommend you to go for the total training program. I heard it's very good. I didn't buy it coze it's too expensive for me.

http://www.totaltraining.com

Ashfaq

Rob Lohman
May 19th, 2004, 03:09 AM
It should be an elementery stream (only video) or a program
stream (video & audio normally) in that case. Strange Premiere
does not want to read it back. I'm basically out of suggestions
except for a re-install of Premiere (and perhaps Windows).

Good luck!

Peter Richardson
May 19th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks Rob. I think it is an elementary stream as it only contains video. I tried importing into Avid and it didn't recognize it either. We are going to try importing and transcoding in Cleaner, hopefully that does the trick.

Peter

Rob Lohman
May 19th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Otherwise try the demo of TMPGEnc (www.tmpgenc.net) to encode it to AVI.

You are copying the file first to harddisk before opening right?
Make sure the file is *not* read-only (properties).

Scott Silverman
May 19th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I don't know how many of you are familar with the United Media Multicam software, but it easily allows you to do a "live mix" of up to four camera sources in Premiere.

They still up to this point have not supported Premiere Pro, and so I emailed them about when they will be supporting it. This was the reply I got back:

Hi Scott,
Thanks for visiting our website and for your interest in United Media's Multicam software. Multicam is awsome for editing 2-4 camera sources. It will save you hours and hours in post-production time. We allow the ability to play, edit, scub and view between 4-camera sources at one time in REALTIME. You will love it! We will be releasing support for PPro within the next 2-3 weeks tops. This will support PPro 1.5. If you purchase Multicam today you will receive the upgrade for FREE. Please let us know if you need further assistance or if you wish to purchase your copyof Multicam today.
Thanks,
Leslie Brath
United Media, Inc.
(714) 777-4510 ext. 110

The only downside to this software is the price! It costs $600 for the 4 camera version!!

Peter Richardson
May 19th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks Rob. I copied to harddisk before opening on Avid, but I don't think we did that on the Premiere machine. We'll try that and check out the properties...and download the program you suggest. Thanks again,

peter

Roger Golub
May 19th, 2004, 09:10 PM
I've finally figured out the general concept behind keyframes and they are quite entertaining and useful. However, there appears to be this wierd construct in 6.5 that restricts keyframing to tracks above 1.

Ok, so I can put the clip in track 2 and twiddle.... But what if I want to do a transform?

What's the deal here? I'm certainly missing something rather obvious as usual. I however,

<rant>
won't whine too long ABOUT THE TERRIBLE DOCUMENTATION THAT COMES WITH THE PROGRAM....
</rant>

I'll just ask for help.

Brendan Sundry
May 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Would i be able to run Premiere Pro on this, or would i be best running 6.5 and color correcting in after effects?

Jeff Summers
May 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Has anyone had hands-on experience with the new version yet? I am trying to decide if the upgrade cost warrants upgrade. Feature lists look good but I would love to hear about real world experience. I have been fighting a little bit with Premier Pro 1.0 and Encore with some DVD authoring and titling features and I am hoping to hear this version is stable.

Jeff

Kyle Kauss
May 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I want to export a 16:9 video clip with the black bars on top and bottom but it never works. I'm using Adobe Premiere pro and 6.0 and I can't get it with either any help would be cool. Oh by the way I don't care if it's quicktime or Window media video just as long as the bars show up.

Ed Smith
May 20th, 2004, 02:49 PM
hi Roger,

You should be able to apply effects with keyframe to any clip on any track in an Adobe timeline, whether it be in track 1a, 1b or 2. Or any other tracks you wish to have. You can not do any opacity changes in tracks 1a or 1b. If you wish to fade up or fade down then you can use the dissolve transition.

Can you please be a bit more descriptive about "twiddling". Please tell us how you are applying keyframes and effects at the moment.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed Smith
May 20th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Brendan,

Please look at Adobes web site:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs.html

Although your system fits into the minimum spec, you will probably find it sluggish, and most things will take longer to do. Most people seem to have good results running it on a P4 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM.

If you do a search you'll find more results on this sort of subject.
Heres 1 such thread that might interest you:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22277

Hope this helps,

Ben Gurvich
May 21st, 2004, 12:04 PM
You should be right mate

Nick Medrano
May 21st, 2004, 05:58 PM
I got my copy of Adobe Premiere 1.5 today and installed it.

It was a breeze. Everything seems a bit faster and the program seems to run like its bulletproof.

So far so good. I have also used the 24p features and it's great (I have the DVX100).

Adobe also threw in some nice little bonuses (extra filters, plugins, etc).

Good so far!

Steven Gotz
May 21st, 2004, 07:27 PM
You might find it interesting to check the "Plugin Loading.log" and see how many of the Adobe After Effects 6.5 effects get loaded in Premiere Pro 1.5 once you have the new After Effects.

Ed Smith
May 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Kyle,

We are probably going to need more information.

If I understand your messge correctly, you shot in 16x9 (squished) and you want to convert this footage into 4:3 so your 16x9 footage is kept in the same aspect ratio but with black bars top and bottom?

The way that I have done it in 6 and 6.5 was to capture in with the 16x9 template. Then start a new project 4x3. Import in the footage you captured 16x9 into the 4x3 project. Drag clips into timeline, right click and choose video options, then click on maintain aspect ratio. When rendered you should have black bars top and bottom. Export movie in 4x3 using QT or WMV.

I hope thats what you mean?

Scott Silverman
May 23rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
Well, I just ordered Premiere Pro 1.5 with Express Shipping. Hopefully it will be here by Wednesday. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in.

The one thing I think Premiere has been lacking for a while is some multiple camera editing functions. For $700 software it sure is falling behind! And I shouldn't have to go out and buy another $600 plugin (Multicam) to get it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Adobe put any new multiple camera features into Premiere 1.5. What do you guys do for multiple cameras in Premiere?

Thanks.

Kyle Kauss
May 23rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
oh that's exactly what I wanted, I have captured them in 16:9 and tried exporting them in 4:3 but it never worked I will try capturing in 16:9 then switching to a 4:3 project and importing them hopefully that works thanks.

Roger Golub
May 23rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
Well, as you point out - I was missing something obvious (you have to apply a transformation to the clip before you can see the keyframe dialog). Sigh.

"Twiddling", of course, is a very technical term for playing around with software to see if you can get it to do what you want. Currently, I'm stymied in a attempt to get a clip to go in reverse and then apply a transform (in this case the "transform" control).

I have taken a clip, given it the speed of "-100" to play in reverse. This works in preview and in output. I then placed a keyframe in the middle of the clip and tried to use the "transform" control to magnify and crop part of the image.

This does not seem to work. Premiere seems to just ignore it. If I perform the same operation on the clip without changing it's direction, it works as advertised and expected. I'm likely missing something fairly obvious again. It seems that whoever wrote Premier has a different concept of an intuitive user interface than I. I'm toying with the idea of switching NLE's but have a fair amount of time and money in Premiere so I'm going to keep plugging away until it makes sense. Had a similar problem with Photoshop years ago, now it works OK for me and what's left of my brain.

Thanks for the reply.... RG

Johnny Chiang
May 24th, 2004, 05:51 AM
As opposed to the titles I created in After Effects which are razor sharp...why is that?

David Hurdon
May 24th, 2004, 07:11 AM
One fix is to export the clip you've reversed and then re-import it to replace the original. Then you should be able to carry on with additional twiddling. 8=)

David Hurdon

Kyle Kauss
May 24th, 2004, 07:47 AM
That didn't do it I still can't get the black bars
I'm using a Sony dvr-70 (I'm pretty sure that's what it is I have premiere 6.0 and pro. I've filmed in widescreen using the option on the menu with the camera. Anyone know how to get the black bars to come up in the picture??

Jeff Summers
May 24th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Given that some of you now have the software installed, what features were you most looking forward to and have you been disappointed in how they were implemented? The flip side of that is what new features were you not expecting but now are finding them invaluable? I realize this is kind of sudden since Premier Pro 1.5 just began shipping last week but I am curious of everyone's first impressions. I plan to order my upgrade soon if nothing else just so that I can have a mores stable environment. Premier Pro 1.0 has been crashing lately when I have been dealing with large projects using lots of transitions and different media types.

Jeff