View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Rob Lohman
September 6th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I don't have Premiere Pro so I can't look. But when you start it
up you can choose whether you want a 4:3 or 16:9 project
and you can't change this lateron? That's weird. If so, just render
out to a 16:9. Start a new 4:3 project and load that file. Fix
the aspect ratio and your done.

Ed Smith
September 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM
The only way that I can think of how to do this at the moment would be:

Edit project in 16x9
Start a new project 4x3 and import the 16x9 project into the 4x3 (blank) project.

You will then need to click on interpret footage, and select conform aspect ratio to 16x9. You will probably have to do this on each clip in the timeline/ bin.

Save the project. Then render the sequence.

Hopefully now you will have a project that is 4x3 letter boxed and another project that is straight 16x9.

Hope this works and helps,

Ed

Dwight Flynn
September 6th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Premiere Pro 1.5 crashes (simply turns off) when Boris Red 3.0 GL is initiated...is there a solution?

Thanks

Kevin Kwak
September 6th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I transferred several short video clips taken by my digital camera (Canon S50) which are .avi files.

When I import to Premiere 6.0, I get the following error message:

Unable to open that file.
File uses an unsupported compression format.
File path: C:\etc. etc. AVI

I'm positive that Premiere accepts .avi format.

Jimmy McKenzie
September 6th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Try this: Capture the clips using the software that came wirth your camera. Then export them as a microsoft DV avi. If the camera did not come with software, try Windows movie maker that is included with XP. Then export as DV AVi and Premiere should be fine.

Lauri Kettunen
September 6th, 2004, 11:51 PM
<<<The only way that I can think of how to do this at the moment would be:

Edit project in 16x9
Start a new project 4x3 and import the 16x9 project into the 4x3 (blank) project.>>>

Ed, That's also the only solution I'm able to figure out. It is bit surprising that there is no direct way to change the format. Though, if so, understandable for Premiere is built in a certain way.

<<< If so, just render
out to a 16:9. Start a new 4:3 project and load that file. Fix
the aspect ratio and your done.>>>

Rob, Thanks, yes, this is another solution, but I would like to avoid rendering for it means the 4:3 material is first extrapolated to 16:9 and then interpolated back to letterboxed 4:3. The quality is better if the 4:3 material is only cropped.

Rob Lohman
September 7th, 2004, 04:57 AM
AVI is what we call a container format (like QuickTime .MOV for
example). It is a file format standard that supports multiple
CODECS that determine how the actual data inside the file is
encoded and thus must be decoded.

The two most used are uncompressed and DV.

However, most TV and analog capture cards and most photo
camera's as well use MJPEG. Per default (depends on your
Windows version) Windows usually DOES NOT have an MJPEG
codec installed.

Your camera should've come with a codec to display the movies.
So make sure you install your camera tools.

If that still doesn't work you either need to get an MJPEG codec
or another one. Let us know if you get it to work or not. Otherwise
we may need to look at what codec has been used to encode
your AVI file (there are tools for this).

Rob Lohman
September 7th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Now I'm missing the point I think <g>

Why would you have 4:3 footage in a 16:9 project? That doesn't
make much sense really.

Anyway, I downloaded the demo version of PPro 1.5 and it seems
you can't change the settings after the fact indeed (doh!).

Anyway, the earlier tip seems to work fine. Start a new 4:3
project and IMPORT (file -> Import) your older 16:9 project.
You will get another sequence which you can open and your
edit should be in there but now for a 4:3 project.

Lauri Kettunen
September 7th, 2004, 06:19 AM
<<<Why would you have 4:3 footage in a 16:9 project? That doesn't make much sense really.-->>>

Well, for example, I have some material of some rare birds which is not repeatable (or it may takes years). So, I have to rely on my archieve material. Accordingly, if the new document is in 16:9 format, I have to include and stretch old 4:3 footages in a 16:9 project.

Rob Lohman
September 7th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Okay, but in the end it won't matter much because if the project
also has 16:9 footage you will need to letterbox it and therefore
you will not loose any information by going out to a 16:9 file
anyway.

I've edited my previous post with my own test. So in the end
you have two ways:

1) render out to a new file (I don't see how this will result in a loss if you are going to letterbox the 4:3 project anyway)

2) import your old project in your new one

Ed Smith
September 7th, 2004, 08:59 AM
If you are just using 4:3 footage in a 16x9 project...

What I would do is just maintain the aspect ratio on the 4:3 clips, this way you will get pillar boxes on the 4:3 material when viewed on a widescreen TV.

Lauri Kettunen
September 7th, 2004, 09:41 AM
<<<-- import your old project in your new one -->>>

Rob, that's what I'll probably do, thanks.

This is just a detail, though an interesting one about interpolation and extrapolation: Let's talk of PAL format meaning the resolution is 720 x 576. Now, when a 4:3 footage is imported into a 16:9 project one has to stretch the footage in the vertical direction. This means that (if I remember right) 432 horizontal lines are used to generate 576 lines.

Now, if such a 16:9 project is rendered and taken into a 4:3 project and then aspect ratio is maintained, the question is, does one get (precisely) the same 432 horizontal lines which one started from at the first place? I suspect one doesn't, which should be verifiable by repeating the process several times.

(Whether such hairsplitting makes sense is a good question, especially if there is no observable difference.)

Dwight Flynn
September 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM
You can try Atlantis from dvfilm.com, or Algolith's Content Adaptive Scaler (CAS) which is a lot more expensive.

Steven Gotz
September 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM
http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/

Dmitry Yun
September 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Hi, I have Premier 6.5 and when I export a movie as a regular AVI file, my sound is perfect but, when I export the avi through adobe mpeg encoder as an NTSC/MPEG2 I get this hissing/whistling sound. It's subtle BUT IT HURTS MY EARS!!! does anyone have a suggestion on the settings of my MPEG2 import properties? or anything that can help me get rid of this HISS?

Thanks

Dan Euritt
September 7th, 2004, 09:45 PM
it would be the mpeg2 export properties within the mainconcept encoder that you are concerned with... specifically, it would help if you could tell us what the audio settings are.

Dan Euritt
September 7th, 2004, 09:50 PM
i just used the procoder plugin for converting an ntsc dv movie into pal mpeg2(dvd), within premiere 6.5... it rocked, nothing else even comes close for anywhere near the money.

i'm sending it to england this week to get some pal-qualified opinions, but it sure looked good on the pc monitor! i was also able to play it on the ntsc dvd/tv set here at the house.

most people don't know it, but pal/ntsc is somewhat interchangeable, especially if you live in a pal country like australia... many pal dvd players over there will play ntsc, the real question is how well the pal tv set can handle it... go ahead and make up an ntsc dvd, then see how it works over there.

the pal conversion i played here showed some dropped frames on the high-action scenes, but it looked a lot better than i thought it would.

Dmitry Yun
September 7th, 2004, 09:58 PM
to tell you the truth I've already tried every combination possible and I was just wondering if there are any other possible solutions. Thanks.

Steven Gotz
September 7th, 2004, 10:30 PM
My guess is that the audio is too loud. Take it down a notch to avoid clipping. Then try again. AVI is able to tolerate louder audio than an MPEG is.

Lauri Kettunen
September 8th, 2004, 12:47 AM
I have no experience of conversion from NTSC to PAL, but the other way around from PAL to NTSC-DVD I've got the best result with Ulead DVD workshop. The Ulead DVD workshop reads in an avi file and converts that directly to mpeg2 on a DVD. Maybe it's worth of trying for then you avoid one unnecessary step of rendering your original NTSC material to dv-format in PAL.

Rob Lohman
September 8th, 2004, 02:08 AM
What is your final format going to be? DVD? Then don't let
Premiere encode your audio with the MPEG2 file. Audio has
been a notorious problem on the Premiere platform (at least
prior to the Pro versions).

If you are going to DVD let Premiere output the audio seperate
as either AC3 (if it can, probably not) or as WAV/PCM and load
that up in your authoring package. Hopefully it can convert the
latter to AC3, otherwise you are stuck with PCM on your DVD
(which takes more space).

It might help if you describe your workflow a bit more.

Greg Harris
September 8th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Yeah I believe the audio may to high. I did that from pp1 and its sounded odd, like the speakers were crackling. But I just turned down the levels to -4 or -6DB's

Dmitry Yun
September 8th, 2004, 10:43 AM
See I recorded the sound with a shotgun mic and I had my manual settings on low. I was reading Digital Filmmaking 101 and it says to record digital sound that way. I had to make the sound louder in post. Is I was to just burn the AVI to the DVD will I still have that sound problem?

Thanks guys.

Dan Euritt
September 8th, 2004, 10:47 AM
there is nothing wrong with the way that premiere 6.5 handles audio, it is not defective in any way that i know of... the complaints revolved around the lack of audio editing features.

what i have done in the past is to export the entire timeline as a wave file, then clean it up with tools like cool edit pro... to start with, have the program analyze the audio file to see if it's clipping, for example.

dmitry, are you saying that you amplified the heck out of the audio within premiere?

Mauricio Garcia
September 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Adobe premiere Pro v1.5
New Project, 24p Preset, File, New, Universal Counting Leader.
It allows some customization.

Dmitry Yun
September 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I did amplify it to max on some clips but that seems not to be the issue. I figured out the way to keep my original sound in tact by simply taking my .avi file and droping it on the DVD straight up without any other convertions. It's just that I love to make my video at 25fps cuz it just look SOO damn good. But If I have to sacrifice that, it's ok. I'd just like to know if I could go the whole nine yards here and have my pretty 25fps effect with the sound as it is.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Ed Smith
September 9th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Dwight,

By the looks of things this is not a common issue (you have had no response for a few days)

You might what try posting:

- Computer specs (hardware and software)
- Settings
- And a complete description of what you are doing to cause it to crash.
- Are there any error messages
- What sort of crash is it? Blue screen, freeze?

You might also want to try Boris' website to see if any other people have the same problems.

Possibly try un-installing/ re-installing Boris/ premiere

Thanks,

William Forde
September 9th, 2004, 04:54 PM
I am not sure if this will help, but i had a similar problem with Boris FX. It ended up being too many fonts in my windows fonts directory (800+).

Clifford Hepburn
September 10th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I use PrePro 1.0 on my AMD64 3000+, ATI 9600 64MB, 512MB ram with no problems. Since I get a lot of airline time, I put the sequences together on the laptop and save all the critical adjustments for my PC. I don't like to adjust color, contrast, levels, etc. on the my laptops LCD screens.

Mathew Adams
September 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Hello all! I have a serious problem exporting in Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0. I capture at 16:9 and would like to export it at that ratio as well. The problem is the final product is at 4:3 and there is a black frame around it. When the video is played at fullscreen, the video doesn't strech the length of the screen. No matter what the settings are, it always exports this way. I have made new projects at 16:9 with both PAL and NTSC. I have exported with the "maintain aspect ratio" option set. I have tried everything i can think of. All help will be appreciated.

- Mat

Dwight Flynn
September 10th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys for your reply. I have looked on the Boris site with no luck so far, but I will try your suggestions.

Thanks

Mike Mellis
September 13th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I'm new. That said, here's my question:
I have alot of Hi8 footage to capture. My current computer configuration only captures analog as MPEG2. I've heard that the .AVI format gives better quality though. Is that true? In other words, if I capture as MPEG2 then convert to .AVI for editing in Premier Pro, then then render back to MPEG2 for DVD authoring, will I see reduced image quality after all that converting? Much of my Hi8 footage is over ten years old and some is low light. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

Ed Smith
September 13th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Short answer is probably no.

MPEG 2 is a lower resolution and converting it to AVI will not help the situation.

If you can capture straight into DV AVI rather than MPEG 2, it would help the situation. This would probably mean buying a capture card or analogue to digital converter.

cheers,

Ming Dong
September 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I finished creating a 16minute video in PPro. But when I try to Export to DVD, PPro hangs during transcoding. It gets as far as 10% of the progress bar, then sits there. Once it hangs, Windows Task Manager shows 0% cpu usage by PPro.

And once it hangs, the "Cancel Recording" button on the Recording Progress window no longer works. I must use Task Manager to kill PPro.

Any ideas?

Ed Smith
September 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Hi Mathew,

Can you please explain how the video will be delivered (DVD, internet, vhs etc)?

what do you mean by "black frame"?

What sort of screen are you viewing it on?

If you have shot in 16x9 and your final output is 4:3, then you need to import the 16x9 footage into a 4x3 project and then maintain aspect ratio.

You could possibly do Pan and scan if you have the filter.

Please answer the above questions.

Thanks,

Chris Long
September 13th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Hi All
I recently was under a deadline, and used the Export to DVD function of PPro for a single project. I burned it, and when I checked it out on my TV, there were sections (mostly wjhen the main character was walking through the landscape, or against a background) where there was a jittery, flickering effect. Like seeing multiple images, sligfht;ly out of sync. The background, and all non-moving obkjects, looked great.

I'm guessing that it was caused by my choosing to Maximize Bitrate--it pushed it up to 9.00. Someone once told me that this could be the result of having a too high bitrate. Any corroboration on that? Is that a likely suspect here?

I ended up exporting it to DV tape, and it was fine that way.

Thanks
Chris

Mathew Adams
September 13th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I honestly appreciate the reply but i already have it figured out. When i would try to export using de-interlace, it would shrink the image a little bit. This would disable the movie from being veiwed in fullscreen. (This is what i was talking about with the black bars)

The solution was to export using progressive scan. I also chose the scale clips to project size option when making a new project.

It seemed to help. I didn't think anyone was going to help me so i messed around for hours and figured it out.

Ed Smith
September 14th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Glad you managed to work it out for yourself :)

Thanks for posting your findings.

All the best,

Richard Lewis
September 14th, 2004, 04:47 AM
I have the same problem. This is probably because I dont know how to do it properly...

Can anyone give me the optimal settings so that I can produce flicker free maximum quality copies?

I am a complete novice at this. I also experimented with maximising bit rate and I don't really know what I'm effecting.

Rob Lohman
September 14th, 2004, 04:53 AM
This sounds like interlacing problems.

If you captured progressive, make sure your project settings and
MPEG2 encode / DVD output are BOTH set to PROGRESSIVE (or
NONE on interlacing).

If you did capture interlaced your project should be set to lower
field first. DVD / mpeg2 encoding should be set to upper first.

Play around with interlace settings.

Otherwise it may sound like a resolution change, but I'm not
sure how that would happen unless your source footage was
not in the DV format.

Ed Smith
September 14th, 2004, 05:21 AM
High bit rate problems are normally associated when the DVD player can not keep up, and thus starts to jerk or judder. Its very rare that high bit rate would cause the problems you are seeing.

However to be save 7Mbits/ sec should be pretty good.

As already mentioned you probably have a field reversal problem...

Chris Long
September 14th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I wondered about the interlaced/deinterlaced possibilities, but since I got a decent dupe onto the tape and had no time to do an in-depth investigation, I didn't take the time to check them out fully.

I did try one short section (transcoded and burned) after changing a setting to "deinterlaced", but it was actually worse.

Like so many things I've run into in the world of DV, there seems to be an awful lot of trial and error required. Just the simple (and correct!) advice to "Play around with interlace settings" means hours of detective work for me...just wish it would do what I want, without giving me fits.

There. I feel better now.

Rob--so the footage I shot (regular old interlaced DV) should be transcoded at the opposite field setting. Didn't know that..is that just for my situation/problem, or always?

Rob Lohman
September 14th, 2004, 06:24 AM
That's always for MPEG2/DVD output. I am no user of PPro, that's
why I suggest to look into that. The other reason I encourage
people to look into it is that usually you learn more and better if
you find something yourself then if you just follow a guide that
somebody else made.

I tried finding this in my PPro 1.5 demo I have on my machine
here (I don't use Premiere) but could not find any way to export
to DVD/mpeg2 in there. So either this isn't included in my demo
or I'm not looking good. So I can't really check to see where those
export settings might be.

Rob Lohman
September 14th, 2004, 07:27 AM
The only thing I can think of is export to an AVI. Start a new
project and load that up and export then. Perhaps it has troubles
with some complicated stuff you put in the project. Also make
sure you have enough space available on your output drive and
the drive that houses your temporary files.

Otherwise contact customer support from Adobe?

Chris Long
September 14th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Hi Rob

The Export feature must be disabled in your demo--if not, you would find it under

File>Export> (either)Export to DVD or Adobe Media Encoder. Many, many settings in there.

Thanks! I'll mess about in there when I get the time.

Jimmy McKenzie
September 14th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Exporting flattened to avi then beginning a fresh sequence would be a good move. I agree with Rob. Since you are not authoring in Encore or other, Premiere is being summoned to load up the resources for your burning hardware. Has this functionality ever worked from premiere to your burner?

Does your burner have it's own authoring utility to accept your mpg to dvd output from Premiere? Will it accept the flattened avi?
This might serve as a temporary workaround until your authoring software arrives.

Rob Lohman
September 14th, 2004, 07:40 AM
I don't have any of those options. Only Export -> Movie and Frame.
So can't help you there, sorry.

Dan Euritt
September 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Long : Rob--so the footage I shot (regular old interlaced DV) should be transcoded at the opposite field setting. Didn't know that..is that just for my situation/problem, or always? -->>>

i don't believe that is true... speaking off the top of my head, i seem to remember that you should always set the dvd/mpeg2 encoding to match the field setting of your source footage... isn't mini-dv lower field first?

mis-matched field settings will give you the exact problem that you have described here.

Rob Lohman
September 15th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Let me explain a bit futher. Per default DVD's are UPPER FIELD
(even) first (like analog video [at least in the NTSC world] is as
well). However, there is a switch in an MPEG2/VOB file to indicate
which frame comes first.

*Most* standalone MPEG2 encoders have a field order select
box, this is almost ALWAYS for the SOURCE and NOT destination
(ie, the encoded file). Most encoders choose the field order for you.

So yes, this means a lower field first (odd) DV file will be usually
encoded as upper field first (even) MPEG2/VOB file. The encoder
will simply swap the fields. Therefore this will NOT be a problem.

However, in more complex systems like an NLE you can usually
set the field order in three places:

1) project settings
2) footage settings
3) output encoder settings

As said before, normally DVD uses upper field first and I would
advice to try that first. If the encoder and the NLE work good
together it will know your footage is in lower field and will change
the footage as needed. Then again, this might also be a source
setting (instead of output) and it might need to be set to lower.

In the end with interlaced DV footage you want to make sure your
project and footage settings are set to interlaced, lower field (odd)
first. Then play with the encoder interlacing and authoring settings
to see what does what.

Arnaldo Paixao
September 15th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Canopus Procoder Express - Simple to use and not so expensive.
Canopus Procoder 2 - The works! - More expensive.

Used both to convert from PAL to NTSC with very good results.
Would expect to be as good to convert NTSC to PAL.

Good luck,
Arnaldo