View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Lukah Sighs
May 24th, 2004, 01:18 PM
hi,

can someone help me with this: when i open my project, the entire timeline is disappeared. the names of my clips are renamed in -1 an 0...which means i've lost everything. i heard something about a wrong way of capturing audio (44 khz instead of 48 khz for mp3 converting). is this possible?

thanx
lukah

Lukah Sighs
May 24th, 2004, 02:24 PM
hi,

i wonder if it's a good idea to buy a notebook for editing (premiere) my filmwork. 2.4 ghz and 512 ram?? maybe i can connect an external hard disc or is it too risky to do my post- production on a notebook?

thanx,
lukah

Roger Golub
May 24th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Thought about that - it should work. Not particulary elegant, although I'm not sure I worry about that given some of the other things I tend to do.

I was hoping to avoid a multiple step process since this particular manipulation (running backwards and doing the transform) is something I would do on an intermittent basis). Perhaps not.

Shane Kinloch
May 24th, 2004, 05:28 PM
G'day Lukah,

I have a P4 with HT Laptop with 1GB RAM, internal 80GB HDD for apps, external 250GB HDD connected via USB2.0 for video files and an ATI Raideon 9600 graphics card. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects 6, Audition and Encore.

I'm getting superb results using this system and find I have plenty of workspace on my 15 Inch screen at 1400 x 1050 res.

It's a very expensive system, but in my opinion the ease of movement and small pack-up size makes up for this. If you are going to be moving a lot or doing a lot of editing and capturing in the field then a high-end laptop is a great, yet expensive solution. Only buy a laptop for editing if you require a higher level of mobility.

Shane.

John DeLuca
May 25th, 2004, 12:20 AM
I recently shot a wedding that prohibited the use of onboard lights(shot with GL2). Refusing to drop the shutter, I have some mild to severe grain. I was wondering what options, if any, I have for getting it out in adobie pro. Thanks for any advice

John DeLuca

Rob Lohman
May 25th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Please supply us with some more information:

1) version of Premiere (exact version -> see about box)

2) operating system you are using

3) system layout. Are those clips and project files on the same harddisk / partition. Is it on an external harddisk?

4) tried rebooting the PC?

5) what camera did you use and how did you capture

etc.

Mark Jefferson
May 25th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Check out this link:

http://www.digitalvideofuel.com/PreFix.htm

It is the fix for your problem. Good luck! Also, if this doesn't work, you can try to restore an achived file (Fernando's fix is a better solution, however, because you won't lose any work)

Kyle Kauss
May 25th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Okay if I film in 16:9 on my Sony and then import it and edit it on Premiere Pro and put it out to a 16:9 DVD using Premiere Pro will the black bars show up??

Ed Smith
May 25th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Kyle,

Are you sure you selected maintain aspect ratio on the clip in the timeline? If you check the properties of the clip does it say 16x9? If I remember rightly there was a bug related to aspect ratio in P6, but I believe it was fixed in 6.5 and pro?

If you put the 16x9 footage straight into a 16x9 DVD then on a widescreen TV, it will fill the whole screen. If you preview it on a 4x3 TV, and your DVD player supports it then it should have black bars top and bottom.

If what I mentioned before is not working, then you can apply the transform filter, and squish the picture manually. If you just want black bars and you are not worried about the footage looking vertically squished, then you can apply a widesreen matte from adobes title designer.

Topics on this sort of subject has appeared before, try a search and see what results come back.

Lukah Sighs
May 25th, 2004, 03:56 PM
thanx!

lukah

Ed Smith
May 26th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Johnny,

Can you please explain what you are doing? I have never seen this problem. Could it be the compression type you are using on your footage. How are you previewing it? Does it happen if you import a title made in photoshop?

It could just be that after effects alpha is better or that its titles have a better engine?

Kyle Kauss
May 26th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Okay if I capture the video in Pro and export it to a .mov then it keeps the black bars so I'd asume it would do that with the DVD to (I'll try it sometime) but I looked at the properties and it didn't say anything about it being 16:9. So I don't know but it did work when I exported it to a mov file but It didn't when I tried to expoet it to a window media video. So we'll see I'm shooting a short here and I want to do it in widescreen so I'm just making sure it will work.

Ed Smith
May 26th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Grain is pretty hard to get rid of in post. However most find that placing 2 instances of the clip, 1 in video track 1 and the other in track 2, then setting a 50% opacity on the clip in track 2 will reduce the problem. They need to be lined up identically. If you don't mind slighty blurred footage then apply a guassian blur, that should also reduce it.

Cheers,

John DeLuca
May 26th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Ed, thank you for helping out the little guys. Im new to pro, and still have alot to learn. Im playing around with it now, ill repost and let you know how it came out. Thanks again.

John DeLuca

Anita Hu
May 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Anybody know how take black and white video (made by applying the filter) but say, color a small portion (like a Bride's bouquet in a wedding) using Adobe Pro?

Matthew de Jongh
May 26th, 2004, 07:08 PM
ok
i'm trying to do a pretty basic surround sound project in premiere pro.

i have a video of a performance where on the left channel i have the clean sound off of the sound board via wireless and on the right channel i have sound from a shotgun mic pointed at the audience.

i want to put the clean soundboard sound on the front speakers and the audience sound on the back speakers.

i can't even get started as in the mixer i can't get the pan thingie to even show up...

i have the balance button but not that rectangular box with the front/back/center speaker icons etc.

any suggestions on how to get this sucker t show up??

matthew

Ed Smith
May 27th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Rather than explaining it step by step, take a look at wrigley videos Premiere tutorials.

Take a look here, Colour Pass effect:

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tut_premiere60.htm

Although this is for P6 the same effects should still be in Pro.

Anita Hu
May 27th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks! Exactly what I needed.

Ming Dong
May 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM
If one uses an MD recorder to record audio, how easy/difficult is it to sync with the video in post? Generally speaking, how is it done in PPro?

Thanks!

Richard Alvarez
May 27th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Synching is usually done visually with a slate or some other visual clue (Light flash, hand clap, tapping the mike on camera...)

Ming Dong
May 28th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Ahhh. So that is the purpose of those "clap" boards used in filming. :)

What if you leave the MD recorder on for the whole session, for instance a 60min concert, but stop/restart video recording during the session?

J. Clayton Stansberry
May 28th, 2004, 09:53 AM
...then you will have to trim your audio to match the video...

...what i do in circumstances like that is look for something that makes sound on the video. like looking at a drummer hit a cymbal or someone drop something or maybe even being able to read someone's lips. then, i find it in the audio and line it up. i have never used the clap boards as it hasn't seemed appropriate to have the band wait for me to clap my board...hope that helps...

Ed Smith
May 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Matt,

I have never used the 5.1 features in pro but a drop down menu should appear below the fader for the channel. Then select the mix from the list. The box that allows you to set your speakers will then appear above the audio fader in that channel.

Hope that makes sense...

Milosz Krzyzaniak
May 28th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Hello

How to force premiere 6.5 to use main concept codec instead of microsoft?

I found some manual but it refers to win 2000 where some system operation needed (turning off one of system features) differs from xp.

Ned Hamilton
May 29th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Do you mean the MC stand-alone encoder? The MPEG decoder (to make DVDs) is supported and comes up when you export to Adobe MPEG Encoder.

I don't think the Main Concept stand-alone can be used directly from Premiere, but I may be wrong.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
May 29th, 2004, 07:55 AM
It is possible, but it needs a little work. Have a look at this site:
http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/10/1/79/
The MainConcept codec is very good. I use it with Avid, but if I need to work with Premiere on the same machine, I have to disable it. I've just never got around to following the advice on the above link ;-)

Robin

Dmitry Yun
May 29th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Hi fellas, I have a little question with capturing video. I capture using premier 6.5 and I have a GL2. I just noticed today that my avi file is not at 100% on full screen and it loses it's quality. Does anyone have any Idea if I could capture a better image somehow? Can I tweak the options?

Thank you

Roger Golub
May 29th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I have a Sager P4 (3.2 Ghz, 1GB RAM) with the neat 17x14 screen. Works exceptionally well with Premier 6.5 and lots of other apps. It's only drawback is the relatively small HD (60 gB - jeez, I can't believe I'm saying that it's "small"). An important feature to look for is built in firewire - you can always get a PCMCIA card solution, but the built in is really slick. Just plug the camera in and go....

So I do a lot of editing on this machine and then download the files to a bigger, slower desktop with tons of harddrive space. If you don't have a bigger machine, the external drive that Shane describes is a good idea, although I would try for a firewire drive if at all possible.

The only big drawback of the laptop compared to a desktop machine is the lack of a dual headed video card. I've come to love the dual monitor setup on my desktop. Since Premiere has a rather cluttered interface, the extra visual real estate makes workflow smoother.

And, as Shane has mentioned, high end laptops are still quite a bit more expensive than an equivelently functional desktop.

Can't have everything....

David Hargreaves
May 29th, 2004, 11:19 PM
I don't think you 'need' to go particularly high end these days - 2.4/512 would probably be fine. The big internal laptop hard disks are expensive compared to 120 gig desktop drives. You can buy one of those desktop drives and stick it into a 3 1/2 inch external firewire unit. There are even fancy units that will do RAID (more than one drive) but I don't know the details on that.

Paul Tauger
May 29th, 2004, 11:42 PM
AVI is just a "wrapper" for digital video. You need to check your codec. As I recall, the Microsoft DV codec is lossless, i.e. no compression (other than that which is already done as part of the DV25 standard).

John Britt
May 30th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Dmitry

Interlaced video typically looks somewhat poor on a computer monitor. Try sending the video from the Premiere timeline back out to a television and see how it looks on the TV.

Dmitry Yun
May 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM
thanks guys

Rob Lohman
May 30th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I'm not fully understanding your "my avi file is not at 100% on
full screen" part?

How are you determining it is of less quality than... compared to
what?

Mike Mellis
May 30th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I have been enjoying the tutorials put together by WRIGLEY VIDEO PRODUCTIONS. Are there other free sites offering similar tutorials out there?

Steven Gotz
May 31st, 2004, 01:45 PM
Wrigley is the only one doing video tutorials for Premiere Pro. There are others doing Photoshop and After Effects.

The problem is that there is a serious cost to the bandwidth. The sites that offer unlimited bandwidth are not really telling the entire truth. So Curt Wrigley pays a lot of money monthly. I think he uses around 15G of bandwidth daily. That is huge.

Dmitry Yun
May 31st, 2004, 05:56 PM
Well when I view my captured avi file in say WMP and I click full screen, I have a noticable loss in quality. But when I have it at 100% not at full screen mode it's as clear as ever. Is there a way I can make Premier Pro capture my avi file at "full screen size" rather than the default 100% that's about 1/4 of my screen's size.

John Britt
May 31st, 2004, 06:03 PM
Dmitry

DV resolution is 720x480. That's "full screen" for DV. Try to make it fill 1024x768 (or another monitor resolution) and it's going to have a loss in quality. Add to that what I said before about interlaced video looking worse on a computer monitor (it will look better in a smaller viewing window, though).

Interlaced DV is ultimately meant to be best viewed on a TV. It simply will not look as clear on a computer monitor.

Kyle Kauss
June 1st, 2004, 07:50 AM
I was looking at another thread and I found a file that converts 16:9 to a 4:3 with the bars. That helps me out a ton so I'm happy I think I'm gonna start filming (as long as I can get my script finished by next week.)

Ed Smith
June 1st, 2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Kyle,

Glad you managed to find a work around. Its a strange issue as it works for me... Anyway, good luck with your script, let us know how you get on.

All the best,

Stephen Jackson
June 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
I use a Toshiba P25 Satelitte notebook 2.8Ghz upgraded to 1meg RAM 80 Gig HD with the Maxtor 250Gig external firewire and the Firestore FS1.

I have Premiere Pro, After Effects 6, Audition, Particle Illusion and Boris Red

I used this setup to capture and edit video when I'm on the Seagram's Gin Live Tour.

26 cities in 38 days and this system has performed without a flaw.

I've done multi camera edits, effects, titling, composting all while traveling on a tour bus and I this system never crashed once.

John Britt
June 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM
Heck, I did my first few commercials on a Pentium 3 laptop with 256 MB RAM and running Windows ME!

Elmar Tewes
June 1st, 2004, 04:05 PM
ok, lets asume you shoot with an anamorphic attachement on a canon xl-1 that delivers around 2.35:1 anamorph, squished together on the 4/3 panel.
im curious how to edit that in premiere or better, how to create the final piece that it works on 16/9 tv ect.
normal (real) 16/9 can be exported anamorph and then when you play it back on tv with widescreen option et voila 16/9 widescreen.
but how about the 2.35:1 ? when you edit it the normal way and export it back on tape and play it back on a 16/9 tv it would still be squished. is that correct ? or have i overlooked something in premiere ?

Elmar

Les Dit
June 2nd, 2004, 11:11 PM
A friend of mine was telling me that he can import frame sequences of 10 bit or 12 bit per channel images, and Prem Pro seems to work with them.
Can someone tell me if it can do color correction on higher bit depth images using all the bits ( ie: not from an 8 bit truncated version of the data ) ?
I would be very impressed if that's what is happening!
-Les

Ed Smith
June 3rd, 2004, 03:06 AM
Elmar,

You would edit using the 16x9 project settings. When you export to tape, and you view it on a 16x9 TV the picture will fill the screen. When viewed on a 4x3 TV the picture will be vertically squished. If the 4x3 TV has a widescreen button, then you can view it wide screen with black bars top and bottom.

Cheers,

Rob Lohman
June 3rd, 2004, 04:18 AM
I checked the Adobe site and couldn't find anything on this. So
my guess (and I think that's the case as well) is that it's just 8
bit under the covers. If it supported more bits then they'd
probably told you?

Elmar Tewes
June 3rd, 2004, 05:17 AM
ah okidoki i think i got the system now. when editing using the 16/9 setting the picture will still be squished and can be de-squished on a 16/9 tv.

thx

Elmar

David Newman
June 3rd, 2004, 09:29 AM
Yes unfortunately the base version of Premiere Pro 1.5 is only 8 bit per channel. However their plug-in structure does allow for third parties to add depth to the video video quality. e.g. Prospect HD for Premiere Pro does its color correction and real-time filters in 16bits per channel and support the input of 10bit compressed or uncompressed data. I sure there are others that do this also.

Rob Lohman
June 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
David: thanks for some insights in this. I assume Aspect converts
the end result back to 8-bits before writing it back into the buffers?

David Newman
June 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM
Aspect HD and Prospect HD are very different products. Aspect HD is an 8 bit YUV 4:2:2 system, so the issues of extended precision it not a concern.

Rob Lohman
June 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
Sorry, I meant Prospect HD. It's not really geared towards a
product but more how such a plugin must operate within the
Premiere environment.