DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/518710-sony-launches-pxw-z100-4k-handheld-xdcam.html)

Monday Isa September 4th, 2013 09:24 AM

Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM

2 Attachment(s)
Full press release, photos located at:

Sony Launches Professional PXW-Z100 4K XDCAM Camcorder at DV Info Net

Official Sony UK product overview page located at:

PXW-Z100 (PXWZ100) : Product Overview : United Kingdom : Sony Professional

Buba Kastorski September 4th, 2013 09:51 AM

re: Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM

well, this one will definitely replace my EX1 :)))
can't wait!

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2013 10:28 AM

re: Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM

Monday's post has been edited to include pics plus a link to the official Sony UK press release (with more pics) as published on DVi. Once again that link is:

Sony Launches Professional PXW-Z100 4K XDCAM Camcorder at DV Info Net

Les Wilson September 4th, 2013 11:20 AM

Re: Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM

Unlike Panny and JVC, looks like Sony stuck with the PMW-200/100 LCD flip that interferes with the shoe. But they seem to take the criticism of the periscope mic mount ant returned to the previous design.

Darren Levine September 4th, 2013 11:27 AM

well, it'll be interesting to see what SNR they pull out of this one, it's a .42" sensor with 8 million pixels, vs an ex1/pmw200 which has 2 million pixels with a .5" sensor. but they did throw in another big long bone with that 20x zoom. claims a 29.5mm equivalant wide, meaning it goes to a FF 590mm long end equivalent. if that's a constant aperture of 1.9 like he prior cameras, then hells yes sony.

Matt Davis September 4th, 2013 11:34 AM

Unboxing the PXW-Z100

Yes, the other one is nice, but this is the one you want:

It's a little bit of history repeating. We heard about the FX-7 until the Z1 stole the show. The Z1 is dead - long live the 4K Z100.

I've been really lucky to play with a prototype of the Z100, and just by what I learned by unboxing it, I think you'll love what it does. A more in-depth report is being created...

PXW-Z100 (PXWZ100) : Product Overview : United Kingdom : Sony Professional

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2013 11:50 AM

Matt's unboxing video post has been merged into our existing Z100 announcement thread...

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 11:51 AM

The differences between the AX1 and Z100 seem a lot more than AX2000 and the NX5U that I have now. I like the idea of simultaneously recording AVCHD as well as 4K.

Ron Evans

Jack Zhang September 4th, 2013 12:06 PM

Again, I'm not really happy that the NXCAM design has been ported to XDCAM. Everything is servo on a G lens, so say goodbye to mechanical iris and zoom.

However, GPS support for XDCAM XAVC would be cool.

But the bitrate selection and 4:2:2 is a winner in my books! You will need 128GB XQD cards, but they're totally the right bitrates.

Now if only the body design went back to supporting BP-U.

David Heath September 4th, 2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Levine (Post 1811276)
well, it'll be interesting to see what SNR they pull out of this one, it's a .42" sensor with 8 million pixels, vs an ex1/pmw200 which has 2 million pixels with a .5" sensor. ......

That's not all of it - it's single chip so unlike the EX1 a lot of light gets lost in the filtration as well.

Not sure what to make of it. Codec options are pretty impressive in one way, the Z100 seems to have similar XAVC support to the F55 - but why no XDCAM option for 1080? (As with the F55.)

Yes, XAVC is better in many respects but Sony themselves thought XDCAM had a place for quite a while to come - much easier processed than XAVC for one thing. From an owners perspective there may be one reason for getting this (4k!) but some clients may well still ask for XDCAM for very good reasons. Why have to have two cameras to satisfy both?

Jack Zhang September 4th, 2013 12:29 PM

InfoLithium L is the biggest gripe for me. I just invested in BP-U with the EX1R, so I'd expect a body design similar to the 200.

Matt Davis September 4th, 2013 12:33 PM

Not wishing to pre-empt anything, but...

XAVC seems to be the way forward - XDCAM is a venerable format and all that, but not as efficient as the newer codecs thanks to its MPEG2 backbone. I think we're going to see 4:2:0 and 8 bit being left behind and seeing 4:2:2 at 10 bit being the norm, with a lot more flexibility of choice in how we spend our bitrate budget.

David Heath September 4th, 2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Davis (Post 1811298)
Not wishing to pre-empt anything, but...

XAVC seems to be the way forward - XDCAM is a venerable format and all that, but not as efficient as the newer codecs thanks to its MPEG2 backbone.

Not as efficient in terms of quality for bitrate - but currently much more manageable as far as a lot of computers are concerned. And if a client is currently using XDCAM and asks for you to use it as well, he is not going to be impressed by you pointing out the efficiencies of XAVC.

Yes, I don't dispute that XAVC will be the way forward, and for some aspects it's essential - 1080 at higher frame rates, and such as 4k resolutions - but it's not going to or intended to replace XDCAM 422 overnight. I certainly wouldn't argue for XDCAM 422 INSTEAD of XAVC for 1080, but I do think it should be there AS WELL. The reasons were actually promoted by Sony for other models where they've done exactly that - PMW200, PMW300 etc - allowing a newer camera to integrate with older models on a multi-camera shoot.

Matt Davis September 4th, 2013 01:08 PM

I really can't be specific at the moment, but I think we're okay about this. XDCAM is in the DNA of the camera. Ahem.

After all (lawyers, take note, it's on the video and on the photos) there's a ruddy great 'XDCAM' logo on the side of the camera too. LOL.

Gints Klimanis September 4th, 2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

well, it'll be interesting to see what SNR they pull out of this one, it's a .42" sensor with 8 million pixels, vs an ex1/pmw200 which has 2 million pixels with a .5" sensor.

The press release is pitching this differently : The PXW-Z100 professional 4K handheld XDCAM camcorder features a 1/2.33-inch Exmor R CMOS sensor with 16 million pixels.

Quote:

if that's a constant aperture of 1.9 like he prior cameras, then hells yes sony.

Which lenses were constant aperture throughout the zoom range? I would be very happy with less zoom, or at least a function that would allow one of the zoom controls to be programmed with limits on the zoom range.

Philip Lipetz September 4th, 2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

well, it'll be interesting to see what SNR they pull out of this one, it's a .42" sensor with 8 million pixels, vs an ex1/pmw200 which has 2 million pixels with a .5" sensor. but they did throw in another big long bone with that 20x zoom. claims a 29.5mm equivalant wide, meaning it goes to a FF 590mm long end equivalent. if that's a constant aperture of 1.9 like he prior cameras, then hells yes sony.

it is f1.6-3.5 if i remember right

Philip Lipetz September 4th, 2013 02:41 PM

Sony has also announced the new FDR-AX1 Handycam at IFA 2013. The FDR-AX1 has a similar specification to the PXW-Z100 but is only capable of QFHD (3840 x 2160) recording with the XAVC S format. The FDR-AX1 uses 4:2:0, Long GOP and MP4 file format.

Key features

1. 4K (4096x2160) 50p or 60p shooting
The camcorder provides extremely high sensitivity due to the back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor. With 8 million effective pixels, the 1/2.33" sensor captures 4K images at 50p or 60p. The inbuilt high-performance G Lens offers maximum shooting flexibility, including a wide angle of 29.5mm (equivalent to 35mm) and 20x powerful optical zoom.

2. XAVC recording format at 4K 50p/60p, 4:2:2 10-bit at 500/600Mbps, HD at up to 223Mbps
The PXW-Z100 uses Sony’s XAVC recording format first employed in the PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K camera. MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression is used for HD (1920x1080), QFHD (3840x2016) and 4K (4096×2160) content. Image sampling is 4:2:2 10-bit, with an intra-frame system that compresses each frame individually at a maximum bit rate of 500Mbps or 600Mbps during 4K 50p or 60p recording respectively and 223Mbps during HD 50p or 60p recording. The XAVC format is ideal for those looking to implement a high-quality, secure and worry-free workflow.

3. XQD Memory Card recording
The XQD Memory Card is a new standard of solid state memory, which was recently defined by several industry leading companies. XQD uses the ultra-fast PCI Express interface and Sony’s unique camera processor to enable stable video recording at 500Mbps or 600Mbps. The PXW-Z100 features two XQD Memory Card slots. Multiple cards can be used in various ways, such as for relay recording. When the first card becomes full, recording continues on the second card without a break.
* The use of new S Series XQD cards (QD-S32E or QD-S64E which supports 180MB/s transfer speed) is recommended.

4. HDMI interface for 4K output and 3G HD-SDI interface for HD output
The HDMI interface on the PXW-Z100 can output 4K as a 50p/60p signal. When the PXW-Z100 is connected to a Sony 4K-compatible BRAVIA TV, the recorded 4K image can be displayed in 4K 50p/60p quality. A future firmware upgrade is planned to provide compatibility with the new HDMI 2.0 standard and enable 4K 50p/60p output to a wider range of devices. Other features include a 3G HD-SDI interface that supports output up to HD 60p. It also supports HD output during 4K recording.

5. Paint function for more creative freedom
The PXW-Z100’s paint function enables multiple image parameters to be adjusted including gamma curve, black level, skin detail and colour. The range of settings is similar to those available in the PMW-F55. Together with other setting options, parameter settings can be recorded as a camera profile onto a memory card. The recorded camera profile can then be used to set the same parameters in another PXW-Z100 to enable the matching of quality and image tones when using a multi-camera setup.

Cliff Totten September 4th, 2013 03:06 PM

Alister,

I have a wild guess that you maybe you have spent some time wih this camera. I'm sure we are all here are wondering about it's low light ability, dynamic range and how many lines of recolution it resolves.

Hopefully you are able to get it on some charts before you send it back. ;-)

CT

p.s. I'd love to see some side "HD" (not 4k) by side tests between this and the PMW200.

David Heath September 4th, 2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Davis (Post 1811302)
After all (lawyers, take note, it's on the video and on the photos) there's a ruddy great 'XDCAM' logo on the side of the camera too. LOL.

I've just been looking at the page of a major UK dealer and amongst the specs it says nothing about XDCAM codecs. It lists the XAVC I-frame only specs and then goes on to say "XAVC LongGOP and AVCHD upgrade (mid 2014) ". Apart from that, it only really refers to 50/60p use at 4k and 1080, which starts to make me wonder if it will even do 1080i or 1080p at lower framerates. If it won't, then obviously there's no point in having the XDCAM codecs!

As far as the photos go, then I only hope "XDCAM" is not just there as a sub brand and it really does indicate the codec usage. I'm surprised that the "XDCAM" is in so much bigger lettering than "XAVC" - which tends to make me think (unfortunately) that it may well refer to "brand" rather than actual codec.

Cliff Totten September 4th, 2013 03:35 PM

I never really looked at XDCAM as a CODEC really. MPEG2 Long GOP was the real CODEC that XDCAM used with it's Sony file structure. I think XDCAM was really a Sony marketing badge to denote a higher, professional quality product line of family.

This is going to bring up a very intersting "shootout" within the XDCAM family line today.

New customers with $6000 to spend are now going need to make a descision on where to spend it. In fact, I certainly expect the $4500 "HandyCam" version will be enough to attract "pros" away from NXCAM and even XDCAM in allot of cases. I'm an FS100 and EX1r guy but for the price?...That HandyCam spec sheet looks plenty impressive to me.

CT

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 04:00 PM

I think Sony may be staging the releases a little !!! The AX1 is on my list as another camera to my NX5U since the present spec for the PXW-Z100 does not fit my main use of theatre production I would need an automatic card changer to get the time at the high XAVC data rates !!! With the firmware upgrade next year essentially including the AX1 spec in the PXW-Z100 then it will be attractive for a lot of applications. But that is a year away !!! The FDR-AX1 with 4K and AVCHD is very attractive to me. Depending on the performance it may well just replace my NX5U.

Ron Evans

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2013 04:19 PM

The DVi news link has now been updated with the U.S. copy of the Z100 press release.

It's a 2-for-1, you get the U.S. and U.K. versions of it. Plus photos!

See Sony Unveils New Professional 4K Camcorder at DV Info Net

David Heath September 4th, 2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1811334)
I never really looked at XDCAM as a CODEC really. MPEG2 Long GOP was the real CODEC that XDCAM used with it's Sony file structure. I think XDCAM was really a Sony marketing badge to denote a higher, professional quality product line of family.

XDCAM meant something much more specific than just "a higher, professional quality product line". It was originally applied to disc based recording, using a specific sub-set of MPEG2 and other characteristics defined as well. It subsequently got extended to include HD and solid state media and whilst variations were later added (XDCAM EX and XDCAM 422) it's meaning was always pretty specific.

That's not to say things haven't changed with this, and this camera is the first XDCAM camera that won't actually record any form of XDCAM (Doh!) but if so - it is a change.

Is Chris able to enlighten us? Will it have an option to record 1080 in XDCAM 422 and/or XDCAM EX codecs?

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2013 04:36 PM

Good question, David. I have submitted it to my primary contact at Sony USA.

The business day is over in New York, so it'll most likely be tomorrow before I get a reply, but I'm betting the answer is no, for no other reason than the press release which refers only to the XAVC recording format.

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 04:45 PM

Chris perhaps you could also find out if there is still the Lanc control.There is a plug on the handle just where the Lanc control is on my NX5U and since it looks like the NX5U was the source model I expect it to be there but isn't mentioned anywhere that I have seen so far. The seventh button is right next to it assigned for expanded focus on my NX5U and I expect the same on the AX1 and Z100 too !!!

Ron Evans

David Heath September 4th, 2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1811350)
Good question, David. I have submitted it to my primary contact at Sony USA.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

If the answer is "no" I'd also be very grateful if you could pass on that at least one person ( :-) ) thinks it's a bad idea - for the reason that an owner may want to use it one day for the primary intended purpose with XAVC, then do XDCAM work for someone else the next day.

If it's not dual capable, that may put a lot of people off selling something like an EX1 to part fund the purchase of this, if they are still going to have an XDCAM need.

Glen Vandermolen September 4th, 2013 06:02 PM

Time to sell the FS100.

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1811363)
Time to sell the FS100.

I may sell my NX5U as the AX1 should be able to cover all that the NX5U can do plus 4K. However I do not think it will be able to do shallow depth of field like the FS100 or have the ability to use primes and see in the dark or very long tele lens etc etc. However the standard 1/3" cams will have real competition.

Ron Evans

Glen Vandermolen September 4th, 2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1811366)
I do not think it will be able to do shallow depth of field like the FS100

I know, and I don't care. Given the choice between shallow depth of field and prime lenses or 4K images, I'll go with 4K.

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 07:43 PM

Wonder when we will see the NEX-AE50/VG30 4K versions !!!!! After reading about the AX1/ Z100 most of the afternoon I think the AX1 will be coming home with me when they are available !!! If only it had a touch screen and touch spot focus it would hit all my wants !!!! I assume the lens is the same as on my NX5U that holds focus well with zooming so that will not be a problem for me as I have got used to the critical focus of HD which I expect may be even more critical with 4K.

Ron Evans

Monday Isa September 4th, 2013 07:47 PM

If it happens I'd imagine later this month when Sony announces other dslrs and probably the minor updated fs700 and kit. Vg series is updated yearly.

Alister Chapman September 5th, 2013 12:28 AM

I have not played with this one yet. Matt is your man!

I'll get my hands on one a couple of days before IBC (next week) and I'll report back, but if your not heavily into 4K I would not be rushing out to by a 4K camera with a small sensor and tiny pixels until seeing the footage, noise levels, sensitivity and dynamic range. Don't forget diffraction too.

Think back to the PD150/PD170 and the first SonyHD handy cam the Z1/FX1. I think you'll see similar differences.

Jack Zhang September 5th, 2013 02:35 AM

Agree with you Alister, I'm waiting for the 1080 3-chip XAVC replacement for the PMW-200 before I let my EX1R go.

Glen Vandermolen September 5th, 2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1811432)
Agree with you Alister, I'm waiting for the 1080 3-chip XAVC replacement for the PMW-200 before I let my EX1R go.

You won't have long to wait. The PMW-300 will have XAVC (after a firmware upgrade) and will be available in October. It's listed at $7,999 right now.
Not a bad price for what you're getting.

Ozgur Iskin September 5th, 2013 06:19 AM

It says that this camera can record 4K 60 fps 10bit 4:2:2 at 600Mbits/s, on XQD memory cards. A 32 GB Sony XQD memory card is 98$ @ B&H now: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840664-REG/Sony_QD_H32_T_32GB_XQD_Memory_Card.html
My Sony EX1R records 1080p 30 fps 8 bit 4:2:0 at 35mbits/s and it's suggested to use SxS media on the camera. A 32 GB SxS-1 memory card is 338$ on B&H now: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737242-REG/Sony_SBS_32G1A_SxS_1_G1A_32GB_Memory.html (and that's a SxS-1, not SxS pro)

Now i remember those people praising SxS cards on Ex cameras over SDHC media all over the internet and would like to hear their opinion on this matter.

I don't think this is innovation. I find Sony's approach VERY unethical before everything else.

Too bad we don't have a non japanese company that will do what Apple did in 2007 and teach these people their true lessons...

David Heath September 5th, 2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozgur Iskin (Post 1811450)
Now i remember those people praising SxS cards on Ex cameras over SDHC media all over the internet and would like to hear their opinion on this matter.

I don't think this is innovation. I find Sony's approach VERY unethical before everything else.

I remember one of the discussions you refer to, and took part in it. But how does that equate with "Sonys position" being "unethical"? The discussions were about Sony by forum members, not by Sony themselves!?

And I was (still am) am the side that says that SDHC card usage in an EX is a very valuable tool. Not really as a money saving tool, but more for enabling more versatile workflows where the shooting medium can be it's own backup. I use SDHC in a PMW320 a lot with few problems.

BUT, with that said, I can't pretend there aren't advantages to SxS cards. Faster download, greater robustness, just a more "pro" everything. As example, I know that when using SDHC the last thing you want to do is try to rush hitting the on-off button in quick succession, or switch the camera off too quickly after recording. But I'm aware of it, and with that in mind the advantages to SDHC outweigh the cons most of the time.

The other point is that there are no guarantees with SDHC. It's rare but you may get a dud out of the packet - SxS cards are individually tested and guaranteed - with SDHC they just test samples of a batch. Again, I test new cards before serious use myself .

You get what you pay for. I can well see that Sony have to market a system that is as near bulletproof as possible, at least for the pro world. If any user wants to take a risk with a cheaper solution (at their own risk) that's a different matter. I think most people are just glad that Sony left the door to that open - there were fears they would block SDHC usage altogether at one point.

Matt Davis September 5th, 2013 07:49 AM

Let's compare fruit, rather than apples and chocolate bars, here.

XQD is a card format that's really looking to take over from Compact Flash cards, rather than stomp all over the SDHC market.

SxS and its variants had to have a very long life with every-day usage plus an absolute fail-safe if the operator did unexpected things like popping a card or pulling off a battery whilst shooting. I guess a few accountants got together and worked out what the cost-benefit was of having these safety switches in place for pro cards, versus the 'oops, you screwed up' version for SDHC. If you were a big company spending millions on an upgrade, SxS was a sensible solution and not really part of the general factor of 'shall I buy into this because of SxS?'.

But we videographers had different business plans, and we voted for SDHC in USB-enabled SxS adaptors.

Now, fast forward a bit: recording 4K at 60p is a non-trivial exercise. Black Magic are trying all sorts of tricks to do it on SDHC, but Sony are trying a different tack: they need 4K at 60p, they need XDCAM, they need all sorts of codecs, and some wriggle room for safety plus some room to grow. XQD is better than SDHC, has more life than CF and will go faster for longer.

Would we rather Sony says 'okay, you have to use SxS in this camera' or 'from now on, we're devaluing SDHC and putting our effort in XQD, even if it's not quite the same sales pitch we have for SxS.'

Note well the funny little SDHC card slot next to the XQD slots - this is fully intended to support AVCHD, and there's nowt wrong in that. Note also the other (yes a second) SDHC slot that will hold up to 64 camera setups - yes, rather than put them on the same card as your footage, the setups & picture profiles sit on a separate card - an inexpensive card format well suited to data-only applications. Sort of 'render unto Caesar what is Caesar's' if you'll excuse the wobbly metaphor.

It was easy for me to buy an XQD reader from Amazon for not much (a lot less than an SxS reader!), and extra cards can be had from other sources than Sony (which didn't really happen with SxS). SDHC is getting to the end of its bandwidth roadmap, XQD is just starting.

Yes, to some extent, I am sipping the KoolAid here, but sometimes you need to move on. SxS, SDHC, CF, all had their time. XQD is designed to supercede CF and its markets, and a camera like this will encourage others to adopt this format. 165 Mbits per second! Costs less than CF! It isn't SxS! Yay! LOL

Ron Evans September 5th, 2013 07:55 AM

Innovation to me means progress to give more for less, faster. In PC and camera world that means more performance in smaller packages for less money. The rate of change is also improved so that new things come out faster. That is a fact of life now. If you don't need something today wait until next week there will likely be a better product that costs less !!! Of interest is that I have bought Sony prosumer stuff since the VX3 Hi8 camera, just missing out the VX1000. They all have cost roughly $5000 replaced every 3 or 4 years initially bought when they came out for the FX1 and NX5U that I now have. In all cases the improvement was significant and well worth the upgrade even as a somewhat serious amateur. In all cases the year after I bought the prosumer version the handycam version had just as good a performance !!! The change to AVCHD camparison with the XR500 got me to change my FX1 for the NX5U. The NX5U now is marginal in comparison to the CX700 and NX30U I have ( which use single sensors about the same size as the 4K models ) There are differences of course the adjustments are not there on the smaller cameras. I sometimes shoot with a friend who uses an EX3 for the closeup shots. It is clearly superior to the small Sony's but with more noise !!! Comparison to the NX5U is close with the edge to the EX3 of course both with more noise than either the CX700 or the NX30U.

Changes in the PC world are even more dramatic. I build my own PC's so the price changes are purely cost of components. The first PC I made cost $3500 and by todays standard was just a little less powerful than my watch !!! Present editing PC an i7 2600K with 16G RAM and 5T hard drive storage cost less than half that original PC !!

Sony work in this changing world and to be competitive have to produce new products all the time. Moral is if you don't need it or want it today don't buy it.

Ron Evans

Ozgur Iskin September 5th, 2013 08:36 AM

When you buy a GFX card today for let's say 500$ and something better comes out 2 months later with more power; they don't sell that new card for 300$, do they?. Also if the card you have is not discontinued, it becomes cheaper in stores as well.

I thought my previous post was clear enough. If they had dropped SxS card prices by %80, i wouldn't have made this post. "4k 60fps camera needs something better than SxS so they made XQD cards.. better performance, smaller, lighter, cheaper.. and look, they are lowering the prices of their 'old' media too!"... You know, i could buy that.

But not this. Sony (and their prayers) kept telling people SxS was superior to everything else and they were talking about a 35mbit/s camera back then. Now if Sony does not choose their own 'more robust, best of the best' platform for something clearly much better (600mbits 4k 60fps vs 35mbits 1080p 30fps, anyone?), i question that.

Ron Evans September 5th, 2013 09:02 AM

Cards are just memory storage technology of the time. Look at the prices for new DDR3 memory and then try and find the price for DDR2 memory usually twice the price or more. You will find that the old lower performance memory is a lot more expensive even thought its out of date by todays standards. Products that need that memory will have to pay just like SxS cards. To use the new lower cost, higher performance and larger memory needs a complete new PC system. Same with cameras.

Video tape prices are still about the same as they were and the tape based cameras that are still available are also much the same price new if anyone wants them.

Ron Evans