Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 27th, 2002, 12:09 PM   #211
New Boot

Yep

Sure, plug in the firewire cable. Fire up Premiere and Capture a Movie. Hit Record and you'll be streaming it in.
jumbalijumbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 12:30 PM   #212
New Boot

Cool, thank you.

Thanks
Jim Steffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 07:29 PM   #213
wardworld@hotmail.com

lighting for GL1

My friend wants me to shoot a "fishing adventure" at night under flourescent worklights....are there any filters I should use to help w/ this?
Any tips would be appreciated. I'll be using a GL1 camera.
Thanks,
Daryl
Old July 22nd, 2002, 08:45 PM   #214
Outer Circle

Heliopan makes 2 types of fluorescent correction filters...for the 2 main types of fluorescent lighting.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 05:37 PM   #215
New Boot

Does the Canon VL-3 light work with XM1?

Hi,
I see the Canon VL-3 light can be used with the GL2. Is
it also possible to use it with the GL1/XM1 ?
Mark Sudfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #216
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, no; the VL3 light derives power from the Advanced Accessory Shoe on the GL2/XM2. The Advanced Accessory Shoe is "hot," that is, it's wired for power. The accessory shoe on the GL1/XM1 does not supply power, therefore the various AAS accessories such as the VL3 light and DM50 stereo mic are not compatible.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2002, 06:41 PM   #217
New Boot

Light Comparison

I am trying to determine which would be more useful, a VL3 Light or the VL10Li. Does the number indicate the wattage? The VL3 is self powered by the camera I understand so does that mean that you need an additional 900 series battery to power the VL10Li? One for the camera, one for the light? Does a battery come with it?

How about useing them outside...are either of them useful for fill light outdoors?

Any info anyone can offer on these questions would be appreciated.

Jim
Jim McNally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:38 AM   #218
Regular Crew

Bypassing the AUTO-OFF in the GL1

Does anyone know how to bypass the Auto Power Off Feature on the GL1 while in CAMERA mode?
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:54 AM   #219
Contributor

Although I haven't used the GL1 extensively, I imagine it is like most cameras in that it will shut down after about five minutes or so if there is a TAPE inside. Without the tape it should stay on as long as there is power. (Again, may be a bit of conjecture for your camera specifically.)

As for keeping the power on with the tape, I haven't ever heard of a way. Are you trying to keep some settings (white balance, etc)? (Aren't these retained as long as there is power, even if the camera is off?) Or is it just the annoyance factor?

HTH,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #220
Trustee

Try leaving the tape door open, I'm not in front of my camera, but I think this works.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 10:36 AM   #221
Shane Miller

GL1 VS SONY TRV240E

OK this may not be the place to ask this but here go's. Which has a better picture quality a SONY TRV240E or a Cannon GL1 or GL2? I want to get a camera that has a high picture quality that is a little on the low end. I really love the new camera I saw on the back of filmaker magazine last year, it looked nice but I have no Idea on the cost and the magazine is at home. (SIGH)
Old November 12th, 2002, 04:55 AM   #222
Regular Crew

24fps

Goldenfleece,

you are from Sheffield so I guess you are using a PAL camera - slow shutter does not change the frame rate, just how long the shutter is open on each frame. I guess that the Sony author meant to say it gives a "24 fps like effect":) It will still be 25fps on the tape.

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #223
Wrangler

The TRV-240E is a 1-CCD camcorder, (1/6" in the NTSC version). It is Digital8, around US$550 or so.

Should be no contest, the GL1/GL2 should provide the better image by far under most circumstances.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #224
Wrangler

It would be difficult for any 1-chipper to beat a 3-chipper except in low light conditions. Simply put, 3-chippers have 1 chip per primary color and that gives them a decisive advantage when it comes to image reproduction.

Since these 3-chippers are better cam, it does require a little knowledge to operate them properly. If you are always going to use "green box auto" mode you may not see much difference between a 1-chipper and a 3-chipper. However, when properly used the results can be quite awesome.

So if you are contemplating a purchase, take the time to learn a little photography before you try these cams. It will help you determine which cam is best for you.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:06 PM   #225
Greg Patrick

gl1 mic picking up distortion - also blue/green video

hi
has anyone had any problems w/getting tremendously distorted audio after playback *on both onboard speaker and computer speakers*

i noticed that after i recorded a wedding reception (which had a loud dj) the sound was super distorted when i played it back and i thought i had blown the mic, but then i recorded an live acoustic performance and it picked up excellent.

a week later i was at a party again and the bass seemed way too much for the mic when i'm playing it back now it's really distrorted again. (also my screen started recording blue and green horizontal stripes??!!)
...it's still under canon's 1 year warranty, should i consider an exchange or is there anything to do besides change the 12-bit/16-bit record levels?

sorry so long, thanks...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders