Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #631
Trustee

The more powerful video cards provide better OpenGL support. As far as I know, that is not a factor for the base Premiere Pro application.

It is relevant for After Effects and some 3rd-party plugins for Premiere such as Boris Red, plus of course animation software as Jason says ... hence people like The Videoguys do recommend Quadro cards for video computers.

That said, I am very content right now with my 6600GT.

Regarding soundcards, if you have any interest in authoring 5.1 surround tracks for DVD, get a card with ASIO drivers that allow you to send tracks to 6 separate outputs. It maybe that both the Audigy and X-FI allow that these days, but I do know the old Creative Live 5.1 cards didnt ... so check.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #632
Regular Crew

telephone voice plug in

is there a plugin you can use to make your audio sound like someone is on a phone?
Jack Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #633
Major Player

My, that sounds "phony"

Yes, you could get a plug-in but depending on your editing software (Audition?), perhaps you don't need one. A telephone circuit is 300-3200 Hz (3dB points) so if you use a high-pass above 300hz and a low-pass at 3200hz, presto.

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #634
Regular Crew

thanks i'll try that out
Jack Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #635
Major Player

Quicktime 720p in Premiere Pro 2

I have a short Qicktime video, created in Final Cut using HDV 720p 25.

Prem Pro 2 imports the file, but only plays audio. No video. I have to convert it to Windows Media.

Is there a plugin/codec I can download to make this work?

Or do I have to get the video converted in Final Cut?

Thanks

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #636
Regular Crew

Does Adobe Dislike 4 Channels of Audio?

I know that Premiere cannot capture 4 channels of audio at once from DV, and I know there are probably 50 different ways to do it with other programs. But doesn't it seem a little dumb that Adobe products STILL can't do this? If a free program can do it, why not "The Big Boys?" I'm beginning to wonder if Adobe will get with the program, pun intended. For years they led the editing software race (I still have Premiere 2 for Windows 3.1 and it's on 4 floppy disks!), then they started to suck, and now they're doing great again with Premiere... sort of. Not being able to grab all 4 channels from a DV signal is nothing more than an inconvenience but even so... when a free program can make life easier when capturing then maybe the Adobe programmers could stop and say, "Hmm..."

Sorry to rant, but after 3 releases of a greatly improved program (Pro 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0), Adobe still missed (or deliberately left out) the little thing that makes our job a little bit simpler.

-Michael
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #637
Wrangler

If enough people request it, maybe they'll feel that it is worth their effort to put it in a future version. Try this:
http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.html

EDIT: I've just removed a diatribe by a user who lists a competing NLE in their profile. We're here to help each other out and learn together, not to have emotional flame wars. That sort of thing is not acceptable at DVinfo.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #638
Wrangler

See also these recent threads that have links to external articles:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79331
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79640
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #639
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Westbury
I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5. I have it set to auto save every one minute, owing to a problem where every once in a while it freezes the pc and has to be restarted. The weird thing is it was doing it last night, but it's been fine all day, until about 5 minutes ago. I changed the setting to make it auto save every one minute, BUT, it hasn't done it. I just restarted due to a freeze up, ran chkdsk, and then reopened the project. It seems to have lost about the last 35 minutes of work.
Does anyone know of a remedy for this problem ?
if you're machine is crashing or locking up it's likely not premier, i had a similar issue when i built my first editing box a few years ago and found that i had a memory issue, at first the sticks were not in the first and third slots, after i got that corrected the machine hummed.

later in the evolution of that box i added an ATI video card with a power cable that needs to run to the power supply of the system, there is a particular way that it needed to be connected, not just a direct line from the supply but it had to be in line with a hard drive (don't ask I don't know why), either way, my lack of reading the manual caused me crashes again, premier had nothing to do with it.

the setting for auto-save that you're using is overkill, i know that you don't want to loose a project but you can be safe at 5 minutes, that's where i've kept mine for almost 2 years now and no crashes have occurred now that i go the system issues fixed.

one thing to consider, the amount of time it takes to save the project is overhead on the system, in a large project it can be taking so much cycle time that it's barely done before you're requesting the next save, just something to consider.

one thing that you didn't mention was if you were running 1.5 or 1.51, i think that 1.51 only fixed some minor annoyances but it was a service pack so i would install it if you haven't done that already.

oh and you are aware that you can open projects from the save file folder where it keeps the last 5 versions, that has saved me a few times in the past.

miguel
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #640
Regular Crew

PCI audio capture

how would I go about using the audio-in from my sound card to capture on to AP 6.0? help!!! I feel stupid :(
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #641
Wrangler

Its been a while since I've used 6!

The best way is to do it outside of Premiere, with some sort of sound capture program (sound recorder for instance which comes free with Windows). I expect there are loads of freeware utillities out there that will do it as well.

I take it you want to capture via the line in/ microphone?

Otherwise you could record the sound into your camcorder,and capture that in via firewire (audio only).

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #642
New Boot

Upside Down Image in Workspace

Hello all,

I owe a mountian of thanks to this forum for all the help thus far.

In Premiere Pro and AfterEffects I sometimes get an annoying image flipping problem when working with mpegs. I know that I have seen discussions on this forum and elsewhere, but I can't find them maybe I am searching the wrong terms.

Basically, when happens is that I import footage and it shows up in my work window upside-down. Before I have converted the files to a QT and preceeded from there, but I had never truly understood the problem I have been having. Basically, I am working with 24p, HDV footage from a JVC-HD100, I capture the footage with Cinforms HDLink Utility, convert the M2T file in MPEG Streamclip to an Mpeg, Set up a project in Premiere with custom setting, General-EditingMode=Video for Windows, Timebase=24fps, Frame 1280x720, Square Pixels, progressive, 24p Timebase. But I import my fottage and flip, I can't edit like this.

I am sure it is user error (yeah I admit it) perhaps I am overlooking something in my composition/project settings. Or my I sure get some better hardware, I don't have a Video Specific Video Cards, could that be it?

Anyhow, advice, tips and help would be much apprieciated.

Chris Watson
Christopher Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #643
New Boot

Lossless HD edit cycle in PP2?

I haven't moved to HD yet, but it won't be long now. I just need some input on the workflow to feel confident.

I usually capture the footage from camera and do a first rough edit to get rid of bad scenes. No transitions, no music. Then I export the result in files which I later import into different projects. This first edit cycle has to be as lossless as it can be and for SD, this workflow is fine.

Can I achieve this for footage from an HDV camera? (I've fallen for the XH A1 thanks to hours of reading the posts on DV info.) Or will I suffer from generation losses due to recompression? Suggestions are most welcome, such as which file format is best for storing footage that is to be re-imported into the NLE? I've recently upgraded to PP2.

Thanks.
/Thomas
Thomas Lundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #644
Regular Crew

Better to use Ppro 1.5.1?

If the laptop goes bad with Ppro 2.0 and HDV. Will not spend alot on cineform.
Is it better to use premiere Pro 1.5.1. I understand that this have cineform installed?
Arve Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #645
Trustee

I doubt that you would want to split the footage up and then export it. You need to split it up using some other method. I use HDVSplit but it is for Sony cameras only the last time I checked. You can split it up by capturing very carefully.

Another solution, and the one I recommend, is to use Cineform Aspect HD. It comes with HDLink which allows you to capture outside of Premiere Pro and use Scene Detect. If you then want to work with footage and export back out to the Cineform codec, the loss will be much less, and it will also give you the ability to use HDV footage in After Effects.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite