Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #556
New Boot

what your saying is the space bar isnt working on the time line i think...i dont know all the technical terms for most of the buttons but the last time i had that happen i just restarted the computer. and when it did it again i upgraded to pro2.
Michael Behr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #557
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Ryland
If you had a seperate hard drive specifically to be your video editing 'scratch disk'... how big should this drive be? I generally work on projects that are 5-10 mins max (not long at all). Would a 74GB hard drive be enough space for a scratch disk? Also, has anyone seen any perfomance gains by using a 10k RPM drive as their scratch disk as opposed to 7,200rpm?
It depends on the complexity of your movie. You say 5-10 minutes isn't long, but I spent all summer on a project that takes up 600GB and it's only 15 minutes. Every time I want to export a render uncompressed is another 200GB.

There really isn't any noticable performance gain with a raptor drive, I wouldn't bother with one. Get a 250GB SATA drive (assuming your motherboard supports it) and you should be ok for simple projects (assuming you're doing SD...HDV is a different story).
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #558
Major Player

Hey Ben... yea.. I'm actually doing HDV now. That is why I am upgrading my PC and getting a dedicated scratch drive.

I am so confused about how scratch drives work and from the little I've found about how to use them optimally, it seems like it is every other configuration other than the one I have.

I am looking at a 4 drive configuration as follows:

- 120 GB 10k rpm SATA (primary OS)
- 74 GB 10k rpm SATA (scratch disk)
- 500 GB 7,200rpm SATA (1st media storage)
- 500 GB 7,200rpm SATA (2nd media storage)

I'm definitely trying to optimize the efficiency of the scratch disk, but I have no idea how much data is actually stored on the scratch disk when working with a project. So it sounds like even 160 GB isnt enough for a scratch disk when editting HDV? Also, I wouldn't see a performance increase with the 10k drive? Thanks a bunch.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #559
Trustee

Help! "damaged project" in 1.5!

Hey,
I recently tried opening a 1.5 project in 2.0. WITHOUT SAVING, i exited 2.0, and now I can't open the project *or any of the autosave projects* in 1.5. Due to AspectHD 2.0 compatibility issues I can't edit in 2.0. What went wrong? I can still open them in 2.0, but I need to open them in 1.5. Help!!!
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #560
Regular Crew

What happens when you try to open the project in 1.5? That is, by "can't", what sort of error message do you get, does it just crash/freeze, etc.?

Also, have you tried the oft-recommended Premiere-project-defibrillator trick of importing the damaged project into a new, empty project?
K. Tessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #561
Major Player

You got it right first time Michael. So I just closed PPro and on restarting it everything worked fine, so far anyway. Thanks for your help.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #562
Trustee

Oh, sorry. Error is "The project could not be loaded. It may be damaged or contain outdated elements."

Importing it into a new project causes the same error.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #563
Major Player

Make the program monitor full size without any distortion to the image?

I use an external NTSC monitor while editing. I sometimes like to use the program monitor in the P-Pro 2.0 workspace to view the video as it plays back through the timeline. Is there a way to make the program monitor full size (full screen) without any distortion in the image? It's difficult looking at that small preview window.

Thanks
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #564
Major Player

External monitor - full size

There are a number of video cards whereby an external monitor is connected and displays the "scrub surface" of the monitor window only. I use the Matrox Parhelia APVe card with one large DVI panel for desktop and the other connected as component HiDef. (NTSC can be in addition or in place of that). I then use the Matrox WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet plugin for standard def projects and Cineform's for HDV projects. There are other alternatives, but this works beautifully.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #565
New Boot

Sorry about that. What I meant is that the video transitions aren't there. Im not sure why but I chose Export Movie and saved it to my folder.
Erick Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #566
Trustee

Right, but - where your transitions are supposed to be what do you see instead?

Your video footage, unaltered? Or a section of black video? Or what?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #567
Major Player

720p has strange stutter?

I filmed about 25 minutes with my JVC GY HD100UA. It's in 720p 24. I also captured to a hard drive with hdvrack-equipped laptop.

I also used Cineform to turn my hdv into cineform .avi files.

I have a one long 25 minute avi file I got by capturing via firewire. My PPro 2.0 used the cineform as a plug in.

After 15 minutes, the file has like 1 seconds of dialog playing over and over like a stuck record. The picture is static.

When I play the same piece in Windows Media player, no problem.

The M2T files from the HDVrack laptop are fine. I used HDLink to make them into avi files, which work fine.

So I have usable footage. But the other footage only has the problem in PPro2.0 I created a new project and put the file into that, the same problem.

I did note HDVrack created 2 M2T files, one ending where the problem begin on the other file. So it seemed like something happened what that point, though I didn't notice anything at the time.

Hard to describe... any thoughts?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #568
Trustee

Dennis,
I had that exact same problem. Mine was 1080i Sony FX1 footage though. I wish I could help you though, I have no clue what the problem was, it just went away for me after I reconverted everything (had to for a different reason).
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #569
Major Player

I might try transferring it again, just to see if it was some odd hiccup.

If it happens when I try again, I might transfer without using Cineform, and maybe narrow down the problem.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #570
Trustee

Well, while this problem may occur for someone else, Cineform sent me a fix for my issues with Ppro 2.0 and now I'm fine editing in it. Thanks anyway.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite