View Full Version : Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38

John Rofrano
December 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
So what I need to know is there some way to undo that partially ran script?
Try Ctrl+Z. I test scripts all the time and Ctrl+Z (or Edit > Undo) usually undoes whatever the script did. If not, Edward is probably on the right track. The script set your preview to full to take snapshots for the thumbnails. Just set it back again.

~jr

Mark Howells
December 15th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I have loaded wmv files with reasonable results. Just ensure that the file size is as close to the maximum allowed as possible (100MB)

Perrone Ford
December 15th, 2006, 07:10 AM
You can download these codecs and use them from Vegas. I've been testing the various mpeg4/divx codecs recently.

Yesterday I created an mp4 file with the mainconcept mp4 codec. I believe that one came with the most recent Vegas 6 download.

Also, you might want to download and use vitrualdub. Many excellent plugins are available for that program that make it a nice compliment to Vegas. Essentially, I am exporting lossless AVI files from Vegas, then de-interlacing and adjusting frame rate in virtualdub (29.97 to 24 IVTC).

Best of luck.

Lalo Alvidrez
December 15th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks JR and ET. What I ended up doing was reinstalling because I was needing to get some work done right away. JR, I did hit CTL Z and it never undid it. I'll remember to check that next time ET.

Mike Tesh
December 15th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I have the divx create 6 bundle and it doesn't show up as a render option for me in Vegas.

Thanks for the tip on the WMV's though.

Jason Robinson
December 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Does anyone here use YouTube?

YouTube says

But Vegas doesn't output to Divx or Xvid. Be really nice if it did... hint hint Sony. So what's the second best option?

EDIT: Mods you can delete this, I found this thread, sorry
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77493&highlight=youtube

I was wondering the some thing since I just created a 3Mbps WMV and uploaded all 29MB of it. The results are less than steller and if Vegas could render to Divx / XVid that would be great.

So is it possible to create a new render option and if so, where & how?

jason

Perrone Ford
December 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I downloaded and installed both Xvid and Divx 5.x onto my PC. When I go to render, and I chose AVI, I have both of those codecs, and the other's I've downloaded as options.

Edit:

Whoops. I have to retract this. I selected these codecs but couldn't output. Back to the drawing board.

Lynne Whelden
December 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Since I see that basic questions are well-tolerated here, I feel safe in asking this...I've heard that Vegas is a little "different" from the other editing programs. That attracts my attention. So what I'd like to know is how an insert edit is done in Vegas and whether it's any different from, say, FCP? Personally, I'd love an insert that's done by parking the B-roll clip on another track above the main video A-roll track so that you always see what was there before the insert, what's the "activated" track and what's the source of the nat sound audio. That way, to change an "in" point and "out" point could be as simple as sliding the insert clip to the right or left. Am I only dreaming or is an acceptable way to do inserts in Vegas?

Mike Kujbida
December 15th, 2006, 10:06 PM
No, you're not dreaming. If you do it the way you described, an insert edit (cuts only) is exactly what would happen.
The topmost track always has priority over anything below it.
The audio is whatever is playing on the timeline. If you had 10 tracks of continuous audio, you'd hear all 10 simultaneously.
In your example, if the insert had background sound, you could either leave it alone or add a volume envelope (search the help menu for this feature) to raise or lower the volume of the track(s) at the time of the edit.

Lynne Whelden
December 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Wow, that is really nice. Now here's the follow-up--is that feature (top track priority) unique to Vegas? Or is that the way "cuts-only inserts" are handled in pretty much all the other editing programs?
One other question--just exactly what makes Vegas "different" from the rest of the herd? Is it the interface?
These questions are coming from someone who's edited on ScreenPlay, an editing "appliance," for the past 6 years or so. I'm pretty much a 'cuts and a couple audio tracks' sort of person, doing docs and event stuff. I'm so visually oriented that I like to be able to "see" everything I'm working with. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind. (For example, as I recall from FCP, when you drop an insert onto the time line, the replaced video isn't "seen" anymore. I don't like that.) I like "seeing" as many clip icons in the bin as possible, I like being able to "see" all the video and audio tracks I'm laying down. Does Vegas sound like a nice "fit" for me or am I inviting aggrevation and a steep learning curve?

Magnus Helander
December 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I'm the owner of a Decklink Extreme PCIe, and have done some research in the area

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=489694

Hi Hanz,

Thank you for your email which Victoria forwarded to me.

You asked, "Why Are these things impossible for the Vegas but the
Adobe Premiere is able to manage them? If you support the Vegas
also, you should make a new drivers which would be able to manage all
that."

The answer is that Premiere Pro 2.0 has a plug-in architecture and
Vegas 7.0 does not. In other words, when we update our drivers to
include new features, refinements to features or bugfixes, we are
able to provide compatibility to Premiere Pro so that it can
immediately take advantage of these enhancements.

By contrast, Sony Media Software do not provide a plug-in
architecture to Vegas 7.0. It is a closed system and they have
specifically written Vegas 7.0 to use our DeckLink 5.6 drivers which
have now been superseded by several driver versions which might or
might not work with Vegas. We have no control over how Vegas 7.0 uses
the DeckLink drivers and that is why you can only capture to an 8-bit
YUV movie and not to other formats such as DV or our new Motion JPEG
support. We introduced Motion JPEG support in our DeckLink 5.7
drivers and were able to ensure it worked in Premiere Pro. However we
have no way of adding this new feature to Vegas 7.0 and so the only
solution is for Sony Media Software to update Vegas 7.0 to take
advantage of this new feature.

Sony Media Software have announced that they support SDI capture and
playback with DeckLink cards using DeckLink 5.6 drivers and Vegas
7.0a. They have also verified the use of analog video monitoring.
However they have not verified the ability to capture via analog
connections and we do not believe this works well. Unfortunately we
cannot help to add analog capture support as the architecture of
Vegas does not enable us to do that. The export to tape issue is
another one that is outside of our control.

It's great that the Vegas team have included SDI support in Vegas
7.0a using DeckLink cards but unfortunately that support is limited
and there is nothing we can do to enhance the experience for Vegas
users given the closed architecture of Vegas 7.0.

It is for this reason that we have been lobbying the Vegas team to
adopt an open plug-in architecture. This would require a substantial
change to Vegas but, if Sony Media Software were prepared to do it,
we believe we could offer Vegas and DeckLink users a greatly enhanced
experience with many more features to make your workflow easier, more
flexible and fun.

I would encourage you to contact Sony Media Software with your
observations and let them know you would like Vegas to automatically
take advantage of new DeckLink driver features by adopting a plug-in
architecture. If enough people request the same feature, hopefully
the Vegas team will implement this most desirable change in a later
version of the software.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Ted Wiersmaa
December 16th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Hope I am in the right area here.
I have footage that I added sound to in the audio track. Between each narration that I added, I put a blank 2 second audio clip to give it some break so I did not sound like I was rambling. Which I do anyways, but then relized that 2 seconds was not enough. So I created a 4 second blank audio clip to replace all the 2 second ones in the timline.
The problem I am having is, when I select all the events in timeline (The Blank 2 sec clips) and replace with the 4 sec one, the name in the project media file changes to the new 4 sec clip, but the time in the audio track still plays 2 seconds. Is there some type of adjustment button that allows the new 4 second clip to adjust the audio timeline or something to allow the full 4 seconds to play.

Dang, hope not confusing everyone here...

thanks
ted W

Matti Remonen
December 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM
To my understanding you'd need a script to do this. When you replace the material, Vegas shows only the length of the take it was originally. Material is there, but only 2 secs worth is shown.

Ted Wiersmaa
December 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM
So then when I compile it should pick up the 4 sec breaks I put in. When I play back at this point, the 4 seconds is not there when I listen to it.

Do you think I should somehow go in and replace each one individually ?

Thanks
Ted W

Mike Kujbida
December 16th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Besides Vegas, I've only used one other NLE (dpsVelocity) so I can't say whether they all have this same feature (top track priority).

Since your needs appear to be somewhat limited, you may want to look at Vegas Movie Studio+DVD. It's only 4 tracks of video and 4 tracks of audio. More info (and a comparison to the full version of Vegas) is at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/showproduct.asp?PID=977&FeatureID=8357

If you feel that you need the extras provided by Vegas (unlimited tracks, scripting, 5.1 surround sound, advanced colour correction, etc.), there's an upgrade path available.

(30 day?) trial versions for both are available. With the help of other folks here, I don't think your learning curve will be steep at all. I use Vegas at the community college I work for and I can have students up and running with only a few hours of instruction.

I've always found Vegas users to be very helpful and more than willing to help other users so feel free to ask any more questions you may have.
Good luck with your decision.

Nate Weaver
December 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
(For example, as I recall from FCP, when you drop an insert onto the time line, the replaced video isn't "seen" anymore. I don't like that.)

You can do it any way you like in FCP...the insert shot can live on a track above the "base" track, or you can insert it on the same track as the other cuts.

Putting the insert shot on the same track as the others facilitates faster editing because you can then use ripple/slip tools to trim thing to your liking in one step...not the multiple steps it would take if you're using 2 tracks.

But honestly, whatever works for you is what you should do :-)

John Huling
December 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a laptop setup for Vegas 7.
I have a Sony 1.8 Centrino from last year Single chip. Pretty darn slow at rendering etc. HD. I have a 2.5 duo mac from Jan of 2005. It is fast.
Would a duo core Sony Vaio 2 mhz make a significant difference? I am not sure but I think the RAM limit is 2 Gigs. on the Sony and 3gigs on the new Mac laptops

Lynne Whelden
December 16th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Again--wow, I appreciate getting this sort of "inside" look at Vegas. And thanks for telling me about the various offerings besides the full-blown suite.

Regarding the inability to ripple when an insert is parked on another track, is that the case for both Vegas and FCP? I think I'd accept the extra work over not seeing the video. But on the other hand, in a long program with many many inserts, that could become a nightmare after awhile.

Torrance Colvin
December 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Whenever I attempt to load my .veg file, it gets to 6% of opening the project, freezes for a while, and then I get an error message indicating: "vegas70.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

The only thing I can pinpoint is that it happened after I downloaded a trial version of Cineform ConnectHD 3.3. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vegas. I also reverted back to the Cineform 3.01 codec. Nothing seems to work.

I can open Vegas and save a new .veg file and reopen it without any problem. The .veg file I am having problems with is 1,441KB and includes roughly 90 minutes of edited footage. The majority is Cineform converted files. A few clips were the actual m2t files.

I also tried to restore windows back to a previous date. It went through everything, rebooted, and then indicated that I was unable to revert to that previous saved date. Now it only allows me to reboot back to today.

Any suggestions?

Enrique Orozco
December 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM
OK... I need to mix & edit HDV 1080i clips (Sony FX1) with 720-30p clips (JVC HD100) to obtain a NTSC-widescreen (normal) DVD.

Is it just drop the clips on my timeline and work with them ?
What settings are recomended for my working project ? Can be NTSC-widescreen as the final mpeg2 render will be, or Do I have to set properties to any HDV template (720-30p maybe in this case) and then render to mpeg2-widescreen ?
What if I want 24p final DVD (I know how with DV clips, but not sure with HDV) ?

Regards

Carl Downs
December 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
If I have a Region on my timeline how do I find out exactly what the total "time" of that region is? Ive tried right clicking, menus... can't find anything that tells me the total time of the Region. Best scenerio would be if I right clicked the region and it said, "this region is 00:00:10:23 long" I need to know for scoring music...

Matt Setnes
December 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
is there anyway to disable video preview in the timeline...not the video window. I 'm speaking of the trims in the timeline. I do believe if I could disable this, it wouldn't chuckle once in a while

UPDATE:
Fixed. Ctrl+Shift+W And it increased my preview performance

Mike Kujbida
December 16th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Double click above the timeline in the area between the region markers.
Look at the far right of the 3 timing windows (just above the preview window). It's called "selection length" and will tell you what you're looking for.

Eric Larson
December 16th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Holy smokes.. it took me nearly 48hrs to render 110min of m2t.

That feels about right. Hour long HD videos (Vegas 6) rendered to Real were taking about 18 hours on a SCSI P4 2.8 GHz (.wmv's went a little faster).

Switching to a dual-dual-Opteron (four 2.6 GHz cores) dropped the time (Vegas 7) to 100 minutes. I'd kind of given up on HDV until the new machine. The faster chips restored editing responsiveness as well (no debilitating lags). Some of the difference could have been Vegas 7 Vs. 6, but it was probably the chips.

Vegas may be limited to four cores (can't get the "render threads option" to go beyond 4 on 6 or 7).

Edward Troxel
December 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM
You can also go to "View - Edit Details", select "Regions" as the item to show, and it will show all details for all regions.

Edward Troxel
December 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Yes, View - Waveforms and frames will change this. However, it will ALSO turn off the wave form drawing in the audio which is not something most people want. But using the keyboard shortcut, you can quickly switch between the two.

Edward Troxel
December 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
You could post the VEG file and see if someone else can load it.

Edward Troxel
December 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Your problem is that you're replacing a 2 second clip with a 4 second clip. However, the clip on the timeline is still 2 seconds. You need to get the timeline event length changed. The quickest way to do that would be via a script but you can manually do it as well.

Torrance Colvin
December 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I can open the veg file on my laptop, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with a corrupt veg file. But I tried reinstalling both Vegas and ConnectHD with no luck. It still errors out at 6% every time.

Edward Troxel
December 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Can you try moving the clips to an unknown location, open the VEG file, and then start trying to reattach them one at a time?

Carl Downs
December 17th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Gentlemen. Greatly appriciated. On another personal rant at/to myself... I think it's time for a "monitor" of sorts I think... everything colored in vegas looks different when rendered out and then once again on a TV... Hmmm... it's a pain "testing" 4 or 5 different "versions"...

Piotr Wozniacki
December 17th, 2006, 06:10 AM
I have the ATI Radeon X1600XT card with VIVO and HDTV output (as the second display option to DVI-D). I've just bough the V1E which comes with the Vegas 7 NLE, which has the nice option to use the secondary monitor for preview. I don't have 2 physical monitors; instead I'm planning to use the two inputs of my 1920x1200 24" LCD. The PC input is of course the DVI, but I also have the HDTV output of the graphics card connected to the 1080i capable component input of the monitor, so when I need a preview full screen, I just press the input button on the monitor and voila - it works!

However, I've got a problem configuring the ATI Catalyst for component HDTV: it does recognize my LCD component input, but only in the 1080i/30 Hz mode, which is OK for NTSC, but not for PAL! I realize the monitor - being LCD - is not capable of 25 or 50 Hz refresh rate, so I'd probably need a multiscanning CRT monitor (or a CRT HDTV) to use the PAL mode...

Now, my question is this: what is the influence of displaying a PAL 1080i material with 30 rather than 25 (or 50) Hz refresh rate? I can see the output just all right - there's even not to much movement jerkiness. I'm just wondering whether previewing in 1080i/30Hz is representative to the true output quality of a PAL video - in terms of colors, resolution etc?

Mike Kujbida
December 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM
... I think it's time for a "monitor" of sorts I think...

My personal recommendation for a decent monitor that (I think) won't break the bank is the JVC TMH-150CGU 15-Inch color production monitor. It has 750 lines of horizontal resolution, underscan switch, blue gun only switch, 16:9 and 4:3 aspect switch and is NTSC and PAL switchable. B&H has it for $500.
To set it up properly, follow the steps at http://videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm
I use several in student edit suites at the college I work for and have recommended this monitor numerous times to other Vegas users. Everyone who has bought one has been very happy with it.

Brian Luce
December 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I was trying to add some titles to a little project. I don't know how i did it but when i hit the media generator tab and selected text and dragged it to the the timeline it seems i wasn't given the window to actually WRITE the titles--as if I accidentally disabled it somehow. This is in Vegas 6. How did I screw up this time?

Douglas Spotted Eagle
December 17th, 2006, 04:30 PM
It may be you docked the title dialog in one of the docking windows.
Click/select the small green box in the top right corner of your text event, and that should show you the titling dialog.
Or, make a selection in the blank area of an existing or new video track, right click inside the selection, and choose "Insert Text Media" from the sub dialog that opens. This should also show you the Text Editor/Text dialog, even if it's docked. Drag it out of the docking area, if this is the case.

Brian Luce
December 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
It may be you docked the title dialog in one of the docking windows.
Click/select the small green box in the top right corner of your text event, and that should show you the titling dialog.
Or, make a selection in the blank area of an existing or new video track, right click inside the selection, and choose "Insert Text Media" from the sub dialog that opens. This should also show you the Text Editor/Text dialog, even if it's docked. Drag it out of the docking area, if this is the case.

Tried those things and it still won't give me the text editor box! I click the little green box and tried right clicking. It's strange though, it seems like the text editor is going to open, but it doesn't. hmmmm....

Jim Ohair
December 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM
did you drag it off the screen somehow?
restart holding shift for defaults.
(will change all defaults)

Don Bloom
December 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
If (I don't know your setup) but IF you are using 2 screens to edit on and you have the preview screen set to the windows display and have set it to show external monitor the text editor might be hidden behind the full preview screen. Like i said, I'm guessing because I don't know your setup.

Don

David Delaney
December 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I tried capturing a full DV tape tonight and it gave me about 100 different files. What is the way in preferences to make it one big file? Also, there are some dropped frames as well - how can I prevent this?

Thanks

Steve Olds
December 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Hey David good question, I would like to know the same thing. It would be better to have one big event in the time line and put a couple of fade in or out where I want.
Steve

Peter Jefferson
December 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM
in vidcap, options, preferences, capture, uncheck scene detection

also ensure that the HDD is not running as FAT32

as for dropouts, ensure that the HDD is defragmented, and that its not being accessed for anythign else..

what amazes me about vidcap is how weak it is.. when scenelyzer live can do as many streams as u throw it at, Vidcap struggles with one...

Brian Luce
December 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM
So I decided to remove and reinstall vegas. before I uninstalled I decided to also dump an Angelina Jolie screen saver that had mysteriously attached itself after a visit to youtube. After dumping Angelina, for the heck of it I opened vegas and the titler worked!

The moral of the story? Who knows. Maybe Angelina is a Final Cut fangirl.

This is no joke.

Brian Luce
December 18th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I tried capturing a full DV tape tonight and it gave me about 100 different files. What is the way in preferences to make it one big file? Also, there are some dropped frames as well - how can I prevent this?

Thanks

not sure about this but i think if your hd is filling up it'll be inclined to drop frames. and do you have a hd dedicated to capture?

Carl Downs
December 18th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I will... seriously consider a professional monitor in the future but as it is my Indi is running over budget as it is... don't they always... Strange thing is the Vegas preview is a different color than the Windows Media Player render and My DVD software player. The Vegas preview is less saturated... is there a way to calibrate the little preview in the bottom right? The color from the DVD software player is closest to my TV so that is what I am basing my "coloring" on now. By the way... wouldn't just a cheap TV from the goodwill be a alternate "monitor" that would give me pretty close representation of what the real TV color is?

Don Bloom
December 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM
You will almost never be able to "calibrate" a CRT monitor to get true color or exposure of tape. If you can't do a monitor then at least preview off of a TV as you suggested. On many of even the less expensive small screen you can make some adjustments for color, tint, brightness,contrast etc so I would first put up a color bar frrom Vegas and even though you won't be able to get a TRUE setting you can at least make some adjustments so the colors are fairly close to real. Don't forget to also set a B&W bar set also.
Again, this will not replace a production monitor but it is worlds ahead of the computer monitor.

Don

Steven Davis
December 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM
And one thing that is painfully clear, the tv sets now-a-days have a variety of settings which can affect how something will look. So what might help is, on your final version, if you have something old something new in terms of a television.

William LiPera
December 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Is there any other way besides RayLight to get P2 HD files in Vegas 7.0 Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle
December 18th, 2006, 09:41 AM
CineForm and Serious Magic both offer alternatives to Raylight. Serious Magic is now Adobe, but the website still reflects their conversion package.

Jason Robinson
December 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
in vidcap, options, preferences, capture, uncheck scene detection

also ensure that the HDD is not running as FAT32

as for dropouts, ensure that the HDD is defragmented, and that its not being accessed for anythign else..

what amazes me about vidcap is how weak it is.. when scenelyzer live can do as many streams as u throw it at, Vidcap struggles with one...

I just bought an external HD for backup and one of my projects cannot be backed up to it because it has a single clip that is about 2.2GB. This drive is "Mac compatible" so it is FAT32. that measn the largest file is 2GB. So I'll have to either detelet the contents and reformat, or find a utility to transform the file system on the fly.

jason

Edward Troxel
December 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM
FAT32 has a 4 Gig file size limit.