DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Helping Hands from 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/19553-helping-hands-2006-a.html)

Bryan Roberts May 27th, 2006 12:03 PM

NYC area Videographer needed ASAP!

Hello -

I'm finishing editing a feature film in HD that was shot in LA but is supposed to be NYC and the producers are in desperate need of some NYC broll in either 720p24 (HVX) or another HD format that can be transferred to 720p easily. We don't need a ton of shots and it should only take one night or so. The real perk is the film already has distribution through Lion's Gate and has a slated release on video nationwide in Blockbuster, Hollywood Video etc. etc. for December so it should be a nice looking credit - there is pay but only $100 plus the shipping cost of the footage (it's low low budget but looks great, officially the first feature film to be shot on the HVX so you can imagine the budget since the total cost was scaled down to fit the shooting costs).

Here are the shots we need (EVERYTHING is NIGHT TIME):
-Skyscrapers, famous bridges, anything scenic of the city
-TAXICABS, cars, traffic
-foot traffic, show lots of people, subway stuff would really, really be great
-A great bonus would be a timelapse from sunset to night over a nice wideshot of the city

Please let me know as soon as you can - we need the footage back here in LA by June 1st or 2nd if possible. Thanks!

Dan Moran May 27th, 2006 02:52 PM

Seeking actors --

We're shooting a long video in Los Angeles August 5 through August 20. (Not going to shoot every day during that stretch, but that's the window.)

Seeking actors for 3 speaking roles:

Richard, an elderly but vigorous man with a commanding presence -- could be as young as late 50s, up to almost any age as long as still healthy and strong. This is a major role with substantial screen time. We've negotiated deferred payment for every other actor in this piece -- but for this role we'd pay upfront, for the right actor.

We also haven’t cast a mugger (male, 20-50) and a pimp (male, 25-40) – those are the only speaking roles still open. Deferred payment for both.

Tip McPartland May 27th, 2006 11:45 PM

The Ecosystem

Cole,

I liked the ecosystem analogy. But don't forget that ecosystems include vultures and pidgeons too. I've never been conned into working for free and by the way, I have no anger about this. I'm just sticking up for a concept I hold dear, which I call human dignity.

I owned a nightclub and some evenings I had famous bands like John Lee Hooker or whoever, but also I frequently had local acts. The trend then, and I presume still, is to make the bands pay for their stage time. Other club owners suggested I do this, but I always paid bands something because, having been in a couple of bands, I knew how hard it was. Call me nuts, but I wanted to encourage each and every one of them. Then I was standing by the little guy, now I'm standing up for him, a strange impulse I get from time to time. So no anger, just a bit of righteous, and hopefully not too self-righteous, indignation.

Cole, you have finished shooting a feature and by the slogan at the bottom of your posts I suppose that you got people to work for free, and thus you were able to make a movie that would otherwise be impossible to make. I really don't mean in any way to slag off guerilla filmmakers such as yourself. I have nothing but respect for anyone who puts themselves on the line to create a movie, and especially those who do a feature.

But very unlike your situation, this ad professed an extremely high level of industry penetration, they tried to make themselves sound somewhat big time, they were bringing a crew from Chicago to LA for a month, so clearly were at least modestly financed, and yet they wanted to exploit (mostly young) people desirous or even desperate to break into the biz.

My objection to exploitation by people at this level has absolutely no bearing on legitimate guerilla filmmakers like you, so if you felt unfairly tarred by a brush applied perhaps a bit too broadly, my apologies.

I hope your feature is awesome. I agree with your premise that you can make movies that look like a million for next to nothing now with the new HDV that may prove marketable. That is my personal ambition as well. When you're done with post production, shoot off a DVD to the company I work for, we have been a TV company so far, but want to start a film division. Our website is www.tmcent.tv and my e-mail there is tmcpartland@tmcent.tv. Let me extend this invitation to anyone here making films or TV product.

I love a good spirited debate on a forum like this. I used to mix it up a bit on the Cow HDV forum, but the moderators 86'd everybody that got the least bit frisky, I got personally flamed by the owner. Thanks to the moderators here for giving us the freedom they do, and thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread, both pro and con regarding my stance.

Tip

Cole McDonald May 28th, 2006 06:53 AM

Tip, thanks also for your participation in this...I'm beginning to think the optimal situation is somewhere in the middle here.

I agree that there may be "work for free" vultures out there, but this guy is fresh out of film/art school in Chicago: William Pissari. My feeling is that he's putting to gether a Doc and has had the opportunity to get interviews (on the street or what not) with the big names mentioned rather than "working with them", so may be using the names of celebs he's had the opportunity to interview to get more help making his Doc...which is probably legitimately a shoestring budget Doc. He is not listed on the IMDB, so seemingly hasn't done any recognizable projects before this one.

I still wonder if the newbie filmmaker would get opportunities to break into this industry that is traditionally very difficult to get into. I'm currently an IT professional. I didn't start in any mailrooms or have any traditional training to get here. I started as a hobbyist and taught myself, then found a position as a lead IT at a comapny that was picking the low hanging fruit (no degree = cheaper). After 3 years of this, I had a resume that said I was already an IT professional with experience. This got me a position at a company that pays the industry standard. Without the vulture company, I wouldn't have a house and all my nice cameras and computers. So I directly benefitted from a less than ethical company where I wouldn't have been able to without them.

So, where I agree with you ethically, the reality of the industry may require these vultures as a gatekeeper to the industry...the "I've paid my dues" paradigm.

James Emory May 28th, 2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
....I'm currently an IT professional......

Well, that explains part of your desensitized view of this situation. It sounds like you work mostly on your own independent productions and not for others. How many outside projects have you worked on other than for friends? I have noticed that most people that have other full time jobs that provide a steady income usually are not as sensitive to this issue and you are no exception. With your situation and having a steady income with something else, if you don't make ANY money through what you produce, it's not really an issue because like most of us you're probably not producing just for the potentional money but because you really like it. However, when this is your only income and especially when you are invested in alot of gear, I think you can see our concern. I bet if you were on an IT board and someone was wanting IT work done for free you would have an issue with that but I wouldn't necessarily be concerned with it because I don't do IT for a living. Do you see my point? But you are not the only one. I think we all do this in a way because people usually don't take a serious interest or have concerns about things that don't dramatically or directly affect them. The solution is everyone should get paid for their services if that's what they offer it as no matter what they do. If production begins to take too much of your time for whatever reason(s) you always have your steady income of your IT business to rely on. Whether you have another steady income or not, you need to get burned a couple of times to really feel it and understand why we become so cautious. We can recognize red flags by things that just don't sound right because we have something to compare it to. Real high level projects by reputable production companies pay their crews!

Peter Wiley May 28th, 2006 02:35 PM

See:

http://www.mca-i.org/articles/irs/cmnlaw.shtml

Don Donatello May 28th, 2006 04:02 PM

"Let us know about your availability, whether you have transportation and if you have a camera or other equipment of your own (lights, sound, tripod)."

come on people !!! any time somebody needs a cameraman and the only requirements seems to be your availability, transportation and what equipment you own/have - YOU gotta ask questions ?? ..

on the bright side the producer is up front with FREE - no pay .. so you know up front before responding you will get NOTHING ... in that area i can't say anything negative about producer ...

Don Donatello May 28th, 2006 04:03 PM

take a ad out in the LA dramaLog ...or LA casting call ...

Cole McDonald May 28th, 2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
Well, that explains part of your desensitized view of this situation. It sounds like you work mostly on your own independent productions and not for others. How many outside projects have you worked on other than for friends?

I was an independant DJ/Karoake MC for 3 years and delivered pizza for 9 years as an in dependant contractor. I have been in IT for the past 9 years. I have been involved with at least a dozen wedding shoots both as the primary videographer and as an assistant, three shorts and now a feature for myself. I am also a business owner and have been in the past, I've driven a school bus and written software as well as busboy, spot welder and dishwasher. (not necessarily in that order) I went to school for Anthropology and am painfully close to my Bachelor's degree. I currently have my Associate's and that has been working for me. I currently make 60k+ a year, but used to live in my car and eat from dumpsters.

I started the first web development firm in central MN (AFAIK) in 1991 and was requred to live hand to mouth for 3 years before I ran out of money (We made an error and entered the market too early). My partners who were able to hold out for longer made a killing within the next 2 years based on getting the jobs the other new firms couldn't by winning the clients who weren't prepared to pay for an unknown advertising medium.

I understand what you are saying, I have been there, and I don't think I've recieved anything good in my professional life that didn't start with being exploited. It made me hungry for more, willing to work harder. Knowing when to move on or ask for recompense is the key, if one continues to work for these producers, then I question whether the problem lay with the producers. How does the Kenny Roger's song go?

Jim Herman May 30th, 2006 12:22 PM

Camera Operator / Videographer Needed For Sat June 3rd in PA

I am taping a dance performance in the Pottstown PA area. My second cameraman can't make it so you would need to operate my gl2. It will be on a tripod and I have a lens controller. If you feel more comfortable with your own camera, that's OK too...as long as it's at least a 3 chiper. The performance starts at 3:00 and will run about 3 hours with intermission...possibly shorter. You will need to be there at 2:00. I will pay $150 cash.

The date is Saturday June 3.
For more info, e-mail me at amyandjim@comcast.net

Kathy Kegley-Moore May 31st, 2006 09:58 AM

Let me do your 8mm/Super 8mm Old Film Transfers

Hello again,

Last fall I posted the following job search and had positive results and new friends made, by working out a deal with 2 videographers here that helped us both make $$$ last fall and this past Spring, and hopefully for many more months/years to come!

So I thought I would post this again:

I am looking to add more work for my company and am offering my services of transferring 8mm/Super 8mm home movie reels/film to DVD. I currently offer this in my area of SE Missouri but it isn't quit enough to keep me busy full-time.

If anyone is sick of doing their film transfers themselves and want me to take them on, please send me an email. I can share my current pricing, what I would be willing to do the extra work for, and even send out a sample of my work to show I do have good quality transfers.

Plus, you are also welcome to snope around my website and read how I put it together:

http://www.katchvideo.com/8mmmovietransferspage.html

My email address is: kathy@katchvideo.com if you are interested in contacting me.

Thanks,
Kathy

Jarrod Hanks May 31st, 2006 11:32 AM

Woodstock Footage Needed

To anyone reading this. I'm filming a low budget indie and I have the need for 20 seconds of 60's or 70's outdoor music festival footage that could be, or could pass for Woodstock in 1969. I've found houses that have the footage but it would cost around $1200 for the footage I need. As you're most aware, that's a considerable amount for a lo-low buget indie. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris McKee May 31st, 2006 12:05 PM

Vancouver BC (Maple Ridge) for June 3

Need 2nd camera operator with 3CCD camera to help me film a firefighter's funeral this Saturday. Full honour parade through town and then church service. 4 hours, $150.

Chris@McKee.net
604-828-6066

Benjamin Kantor May 31st, 2006 12:16 PM

Editor needed for 'making-of'

'Leave it to Chance' (www.leaveittochance.info) is a feature that has been touring festivals for the past year. We have a DVD distributor lined up, but still need the 'making-of' edited together. Target time in 15-20 mins... we are looking for someone with their own editing system, but we will provide storage if needed. An editor in California is preferred, but it might be possible to work out a workflow with someone in another area. If you're interested, please shoot me an email.

Barry Gribble May 31st, 2006 01:50 PM

Seeking DC area DP with 35mm Adapter

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a talented DP for a short film shoot towards the end of June. I'd really like to find someone with good experience using a 35mm adapter, who has a great artistic eye for narrative films, and who is quick.

Post here, or email me through the link on my name in the post heading... If you have a reel on line that'd be great... if not I'll send you my address to mail it.

The plan is to shoot one weekend per month for a continuing project. We definitely have budget for the first, the rest we have to find out.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Denise Haskew May 31st, 2006 11:37 PM

Help at Cinegear

We are exhibiting at Cinegear this year and are looking for someone in the LA area to look after our booth for the two days of the event - June 23 and 24.

This would suit a new filmmaker/student who is confident, friendly and has some experience of dealing with the public.

The job will entail answering basic questions about the magazine, giving away free copies and taking messages for the other members of the team.

We will pay $100.00 per day, provide lunch and networking opportunites for the right person.

If you are interested please email denise@showreel.org and tell us about yourself.

Denise Haskew
Showreel Magazine
www.showreel.org

Saturnin Kondratiew June 1st, 2006 06:10 PM

need to get my premire pro project mixed.

i have a project that neends to be correctly mixed and i have no bloody clue.

Need somoene who can help me or mix it for me, paid gig, limited budget.

email me at saturnin9 at hotmail.com

thanx

Vancovuer, lower mainland area.

Henrik Holmberg June 2nd, 2006 03:57 AM

New horror scripts

Hi

I have some new horror scripts available

More info here:
http://www.horror-scripts.com

Saturnin Kondratiew June 4th, 2006 01:09 PM

i found someone..thanx

Vu Nguyen June 4th, 2006 09:46 PM

DP Help for a short project in DFW

Hi, we're in need for a DP help on a short DV project in Dallas area.
We're looking at probably July time frame for shooting.
Please reply vnguyen972@yahoo.com
Thank you.

Steve Benner June 5th, 2006 05:02 PM

FX Comedy Competition

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it has to do with shooting so...

I want to enter this competition, but was wondering on what exactly to submit, and was wondering if someone can help me out.

They want a 3-5 Miunte Presentation Submission. That is all the information they really give. I wasn't sure if they wanted a scene or a pitch or a little of both? I am planning on doing a little of both, but was hoping for a little help if anyone knows what should be submitted.

http://www.myspace.com/sunnyfx

Mike Jensen June 5th, 2006 06:22 PM

FCP Editor, Sacramento

Wanted: Editor with extensive FCP experience in Sacramento. Must have at least 2 years experience with FCP and Photoshop. AE, Motion, DVD StudioPro and/or HTML skills a plus. $10-13 per hour DOE.

Please respond to Mike at info@jensenvideo.com
www.jensenvideo.com

Brooks Halladay June 5th, 2006 06:55 PM

Feature-length Comedy

I'm planning a 12-day shoot at the end of July/August in El Paso, TX for Sundance submission. It is an original comedy loosely inspired by Napolean Dynamite and Beverly Hills Ninja.

Will be shot with the HVX200 and M2 35mm adaptor, Arri lights and HMIs, etc. No pay available except travel/food/lodging. Completely self-funded on a micro-budget but the production standards will be high and the project run professionally. If you're looking to gain experience and will have the time available then please contact me.

Thanks!
brooksilver@brooksilver.com

Matthew Groff June 6th, 2006 08:55 AM

Looking to Rent Sony A1 for the weekend

Hi,

I'm looking to rent a Sony A1 (preferably Euro model with 50i, but USA version is fine too) for this weekend. My cousin is getting married and I'd like to have a small camera there to help document it.

Email me and let me know what you think is a fair rate for pickup Friday and return Monday. I have a Z1, but that will be too large.

matthew.groff@gmail.com

mg

George Ellis June 6th, 2006 11:12 AM

Steve, are you in the Atlanta area? There is a craigslist post that seems to match what you are asking for (or it is your competition.) I know I would be much more willing to work with a DVInfo-er than an anonymous Craigslist entry. :D

I would say shoot a 4 minute pilot if you have the idea developed that far. Add an outline that explains what, who, when, where, why.

Brian Doyle June 6th, 2006 03:52 PM

DP in NYC needed...

I'm putting together a feature film to start shooting in the fall. Right now I'm interviewing line producers to help with a budget ($75,000- $150,00) proposal.

I'm also interested in talking and interviewing some high end HD DPs. The best cameras I've shot with are 1/3 inch 3ccds (canon xl, sony vx, pan dvx) and I'm new to the high end hd cameras. We are thinking about Sony F900, Panasonic Varicam ect. I'm looking for some info to help our proposals, look at some reels and hopefully end up with a DP through the interviews.

If in NYC and interested drop me an Email.
Doyle@nomadimagefilms.com

Steve Benner June 7th, 2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Ellis
Steve, are you in the Atlanta area? There is a craigslist post that seems to match what you are asking for (or it is your competition.) I know I would be much more willing to work with a DVInfo-er than an anonymous Craigslist entry. :D

I would say shoot a 4 minute pilot if you have the idea developed that far. Add an outline that explains what, who, when, where, why.

I would be glad to work with people, but I live in the New York area. I have a HD100 and Final Cut Studio. I can also cut on Avid.

The addition of an outline sounds like a good idea.

George Ellis June 7th, 2006 10:46 AM

RE Outlines. Lots of repeat book authors say that is about the only way to sell stories these days with success to the publisher.

Sean Gillane June 7th, 2006 12:35 PM

Questions About Swank

Does anyone have experience working for Swank Audio Visuals? Good experience, bad experience? Any idea what their payrate is? Thanks!

James OClaire June 8th, 2006 01:52 AM

Editor Ready to Move Anywhere

Hey, I'm looking for something to do in the fall. I have an extensive knowledge (relative, I'm in High School) of Final Cut and Avid Liquid. This summer I will also be learning Sony Vegas.

I can use Photoshop, AutoCAD and Microsoft Office very well and I am starting to use After Effects recently.

I also have an OK knowledge of programs like Soundtrack, Acid and FruityLoops.

I edit things kinda sketchy/glitchy/fast, kind of like Chris Cunningham's faster videos. I have recently started expanding though, learning techniques for better camera work.

I am OK with moving to any city that has a local JC with transferable AA or AS degrees. If anyone is interested hit me up at francisoclaire at gmail

:P

Nicholas Bartleet June 8th, 2006 05:47 AM

Lighting & Grip in UK

looking for someone to do lighting and grip work on an upcoming music video, and possibly future projects. You need to know a little bit about lighting for film, and be able to take direction from me, the DOP/Director.

I really need someone local to worcestershire i.e between birmingham and bristol, becuase we dont have the money in the budget for acomodation and transport. This will pe a paid job... How much, we don't quite know.

If you are interested in working with me, take a look at my previous work:

www.pixelloft.com

you can email me at nick@pixelloft.com

Thanks, Nick

Anthony Joy June 8th, 2006 06:25 AM

Seeking Actors & Crew in Cleveland Ohio

SEEKING ACTORS & CREW TO APPEAR in a pilot ‘series’ tentatively titled ‘Aim High’. The initial project will include a four episode run, each ranging from forty to sixty minutes in length. In addition to the DVD, the series will be featured prominently on the World Wide Web and Google Video. To be filmed in the Cleveland area.

The premise is that four individuals (two women and two males) operate a Psychiatry Practice. Each character has that special ability to help others in their own unique way. Unfortunately, the practice is soon smeared by scandal and the theme of mortality also weighs heavily on the characters. This series, a "dramedy," features intense emotional scenes combined with quirky comedy. This project will be considered a PG-13 type series, one that an individual could find on HBO. This series is created by Anthony Joy, Dave Thomas, and John Dolan, who also brought you ‘Attrition’ and ‘A Soldier’s Winnings’.

For more information, please visit: http://www.ardentproductions.com/aimhigh/

Or e-mail: info@ardentonline.com or 419.443.0180

Heath McKnight June 8th, 2006 11:15 AM

Looking for a key grip in Southeast Florida

Must be experienced in digital filmmaking and live in Southeast Florida, esp. in Palm Beach County. Shooting the first two weeks of August, 2006. Please email me at hmcknight@mac.com for more details.

Thanks,

Heath

Mark Bournes June 8th, 2006 12:23 PM

Heath, I sent you an email.

Mark

Pat Celec June 8th, 2006 12:40 PM

Edinburgh Videographer !

Hello, Edinburgh! I'm posting again to see if anyone is interested in hiring a professional videographer for July/Aug/Sept '06. Have my own digital gear, lighting, microphones, etc. Experienced, professional, creative, unobtrusive. Would really like to work part time during the festivals in just about any capacity, best offer to you is my shooting skills. Let me know your thoughts or ideas. Thanks.

Heath McKnight June 8th, 2006 01:07 PM

Thanks, Mark. I'll reply asap.

hwm

Saturnin Kondratiew June 8th, 2006 01:39 PM

Needed ASaP! Someone to author my Dual LAyer DVD

thanks found somoene

Brian Chacon June 9th, 2006 05:12 AM

Freelance Camera Operator-Ft. Lauderdale, Fl

FREELANCE CAMERA OPERATOR IN FT. LAUDERDALE, FL. I HAVE OVER 15 YEARS EXP.. I HAVE MY OWN EQUIPMENT.. MAJOR NETWORK & COMMERCIAL EXP.. WILL TRAVEL..ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW OPPORTUNITIES.....
BRIAN CHACON
CHACON@TMAIL.COM
213-605-0712 OR 954-663-2467

Mike Teutsch June 9th, 2006 06:28 AM

Welcome!

Brian,

Welcome to the forum Brian, it's nice to know there is another operator in the South Florida area. You might want to fill out the information section for your account and let us know a little more about yourself. That would help a lot.

What are your interests? I'll email you some information on a local film makers club.

Good luck!

Mike

Ervin Farkas June 9th, 2006 10:26 AM

Watch you language dude!

This is a forum for civilized people...