Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 121 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old November 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1801
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Ed, yeah I had heard there was some kind of filter that will make your video appear similar to the 24p "film" look, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I will just keep using the color correction and balance plug ins.
Thanks again and Take care.
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #1802
Major Player

5.1 surround sound preview?

anyone know of a way to preview a 5.1 mix in premiere or audition with a 5.1 home theater reciever?

i have a premiere pro 1.5 and audition 1.5
soundblaster audigy 2 platinum optical in/out, spdif in/out.
sony reciever with digital coaxial in, and optical in.
windows XP pro
1.7ghz
1gb ram
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #1803
Wrangler

I hope someone can correct me, but as far as I can tell you can't do it through the digital ports as you've described. THAT would be sweet, but I've tried and died on that; either the sound card won't put PCM out at more than stereo, or consumer receivers can't decode more than stereo PCM -- not sure which, but I think it is the first one. The other possibility would be for the computer to convert the multi-channel PCM audio from within the software to Digital Dolby 5.1 for output that of course the receiver could decode and play, but I think we'd need special hardware to do that.

You CAN hook up 5.1 as analog using 3 mini-stereo to RCA cables from your Audigy to the analog inputs of the receiver...not as clean but it works.
Old November 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1804
Major Player

best setting to export mpg2-dvd

i'm using DVD LAB pro to compile a dvd project, and it requires mpg2-dvd format.
i would like to know what is the best setting for me to export mpg2-dvd in adobe premiere 1.5 media encoder. Which settings do i need to tinker for the best possible quality, etc.

thanx guys
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #1805
Regular Crew

I hate to say it, but I doubted Pete. So I tried it with my Logitech Z5500.

The 3 mini stereo analog cables, that I usually use when I'm doing my surround mix, do work out of Vegas (I'm sure Premiere would be the same). I hooked up my coax to the Audigy2 output and my surround disappeared. However, when I play my AC-3 encoded DVD using PowerDVD, the coax output does produce surround audio. The surround audio needs to be compressed to be output digitally. I checked the Audigy documentation and it indirectly confirms this fact.

So to make a long story short - Pete rules! (and I learned something new).

p.s. - the analog output sounds quite good. My Sony amp does have analog Dolby 5.1 inputs. Maybe yours does.
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #1806
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Gribble
Anyone know how I could just chop the first 40 seconds off the file and leave the rest the same?
if you need to retain the original mpeg2 format, then the best option is to probably use the software at www.womble.com ...check out the trial download... i think that it will take vob's/ac3 directly off of dvd, and let you chop out sections, then export without recompressing... it's a great tool.
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #1807
Regular Crew

Thanks David, I appreciate the link. I downloaded CineForm yesterday and have been able to capture in HDlink, edit in Premiere, then export to tape with HDlink (3 minute clip) with no apparent issues with the same laptop I posted about above.

I will do some more archiving tasks with this to get a feel for how this setup will perform, but for now it looks like it might be more cost effective to go this route than to buy a new PC.
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #1808
Inner Circle

You can get some ideas off of my article on matching cameras:
http://www.glennchan.info/matching/matching.htm

Unfortunately, I don't think Premiere Pro has secondary color correction.

As far as getting the 24p look, you can de-interlace 60i to 30p. Virtualdub has smart de-interlace filters which help preserve resolution.
Then just shoot 30p on the XL2.

Or, you can convert 60i to 24p. There are no free plug-ins, but Vegas and a bunch of other programs do a good job of that conversion.
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #1809
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Robinson
Thanks David, I appreciate the link. I downloaded CineForm yesterday and have been able to capture in HDlink, edit in Premiere, then export to tape with HDlink (3 minute clip) with no apparent issues with the same laptop I posted about above.

I will do some more archving tasks with this to get a feel for how this setup will perform, but for now it looks like it might be more cost effective to go this route than to buy a new PC.
Cost effective - maybe...

Resource efficient - unlikely!

If you do any HDV project of half reasonable length in time terms - like say a 30 to 45 min. piece, then your laptop Hard disk is gonna be crying out for a bullet in it's platters!!

The biggest advantage you're going to find in a desktop, is the luxury of fast and large hard disk RAID arrays. Don't worry about the RAM side of things...

Besides, what are you gonna dump your HDV material too once you've captured/edited/re-encoded?

At some point you'll need the desktop, even if it's just to offload tasks from your laptop - you'll end up appreciating having the extra option!!
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #1810
Capt. Quirk

I went to an Adobe seminar, and they were showing off the new features in Pro. One of them, was an eyedropper type tool, that would change this clip to match that clip. Or was that Photoshop? I'm still using Premiere 6.something, so it really doesn't do me any good either way.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #1811
Regular Crew

I don't have 1.5 Media Encoder, so I'm not sure of the settings and options, but I'm gonna take a stretch.

Make sure the basics are right.

Such as Framesize is 720x480, or 720x567 depending on the format

Make sure you have the correct AR (Aspect Ratio) flag, be it 16:9 (Widescreen "Anamorphic") or 4:3 (Full Screen, or Widescreen "Letterboxed").

Your Rate control mode (how the bitrate is handled) is up to you. Preferably a Constant Quality (CQ) or 2 Pass Method would be your best choices, just make sure your max bitrate stays at and/or doesn't go over 8000kbps, unless you are stressed for space on the dvd, then lower it if necessary. If you are going for a lower bitrate, a 2 Pass Variable Bitrate Method may be the better choice.

If a VBV Buffer Size option is available, just make it 224kb.

Profile and Level should be MP@ML (Main Profile @ Main Level).

Video Formate either be NTSC or PAL (x480 for NTSC, x567 for PAL).

YUV format should be 4:2:0, if I'm wrong on this setting please correct me. I've been using it for a few years and haven't seen anything wrong.

If the option of DC Component is available, set it as high as it can. What I use goes as high as 10bits.

Same for Motion Search Precision if you have that option. The higher the better.

For audio, 384kbps at 48000mhz.

For the more finer details like GOP structers and Quantize Matrix or anything else is somewhat greek to me, so unless there is some kind of preset for those, I'd just leave them be.

Hope this helps.
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1812
New Boot

problems with 'flip' and 'crop'

Helloo, if anyone can help me, i will be extremely grateful. I have been toiling over this for days and cannot figure this out. I'm making a simple kaliedescope by cropping an image so that its just a corner [cropping 50% right and 50% top for example] and then copying the chunk of footage that i've cropped and pasting three copies below it. Then i do a vertical flip on one copy, a horizontal on the next, and a horizontal and vertical on the last. In my preview window, this creates a perfect kaliedescope, but when i export it, there are two glaring problems that are COMPLETELY invisible when looking at the rendered movie in adobe. Problem 1 is that some scenes contain a thin black line right through the centre. problem 2 is that all of the sections that were flipped have been visibly degraded in quality. I tried exporting to tape, and the same thing occurred. Pleeeeeeeeeease help!!
Old November 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1813
Regular Crew

It may be the Crop. I still use Premiere 6.0, so I dunno if it's changed any, but when you use the "crop" filter, it crops and zooms. Meaning what you take out, the remaining footage with take up the rest of the screen. This will cause your footage to be pixilated and stretched. "Clip" if the later versions still have it, is basically cropping without the zooming, meaning what's cut out is cut out and it leaves it as that.

Also, where is this black line occuring? If you could please, make a screencap of this and post the picture. You can use www.imageshack.us as an image host if you don't have one.
Old November 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #1814
New Boot

Are you trying to do this with images?? or Video??

Image - you can export the frames from Premiere and put them all together in Photoshop. Make all your effects adjustments, the canvas should be 720 x 480 and import the psd back to Premiere.

Video - way to complicated for Premiere. You can try After Effect for that.

Hope that helps.

www.rollingedit.com
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #1815
Regular Crew

Anybody using the Smartsound plugin

I'm curious to know if anyone is using the Smartsound plugin for PPro.

I want to know the similarities between the plugin and the full version.

Specifically, I created this musical soundtrack for a client that was timed to the video presentation. Well the client decided to add additional footage that incrase the time of the video.

I don't want to add a loop to stretch out to the added time and it will take a lot of time to recreate the soundtrack and add new elements for the additional time.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite