Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:37 AM   #91
Major Player

Importing stills as a sequence?

Is it possible to render a clip out in a TGA (or similar file type) sequence in software like After Effects, and then bring the hundreds of frames/images into Premiere 2.0 as a single clip...This can be done with AE, but I can't seem to do it with Premiere.

For instance,

When working in Particle Illusion, I export the effect as a sequence of TGA files, import them as a single clip into AE, composite them onto a TGA sequence/single clip of original footage exported from Premiere (Should I export from premiere in DV-AVI (the source filetype) or is it better to export the footage that you're going to work on as a series of images too?) then export as a TGA sequence in AE...How can I bring this affected footage back into Premiere though?

Should I always work on image sequences when compositing, but render the final clip out as a DV-AVI video to bring back into the NLE?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM   #92
New Boot

File>Import>"Your first image". Mark the checkbox "Numbered Stills" at the bottom of the import-window.

Works here anyway.

/Max
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #93
New Boot

8mm to digital storage

I have a lot of old 8mm tape I want to store digitally. I have a 8mm sony comcorder with firewire that I can capture to my computer. I want to store all raw footage from the tapes to DVD and be able to edit later. What would be the best way to get it onto DVD and in what format or file structure is best. I am new to editing so it needs to be simple. It seems the file structure from what I have captured burns to a DVD but I can't seem to get it back into Premier so I can edit.
David Stieferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #94
Major Player

If you are displaying the pictures full-frame and not applying any zoom or pan to them, you should scan them close to the size of your video project resolution (for example 720 x 480 pixels for standard dv in the U.S.). If you scan much larger you will increase the memory and work load on the program and make it work slower, also Premiere does not resize the pictures as well as most image editing progams and you will see more artifacts in the pictures. If you are zooming or panning you need to scan at a larger size so there are still enough pixels in the zoomed portion of the picture to provide full resolution (eg. 720x480) so Premiere does not have to upsample the picture. I find that keeping the horizontal dimension to about 1000-1100 pixels allows me enough room to zoom and pan in most cases without overburdening the system in both speed and memory. Another problem with scanning too big is that you will create more 'flicker' on the sharp lines in the images when you pan or zoom.

As far as format goes, I have not seem a difference between using JPG, TIFF or PSD (Photoshop version of TIFF). Some have reported problems with one or the other and the dreaded or green or black screen in Premiere. I have had problems with all formats when I have too many or too large of pictures in PPro 1.5, but have not encountered the problem yet in PPro 2.0
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #95
Regular Crew

bumping this as the problem has not been fixed, cannot seem to find any documentation about it online, and I'm hoping someone here might know the fix!

I'm able to export in anything but WM9 1080 60i or Mpeg2 1080 60i 15mbps. Any ideas????
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #96
Regular Crew

.: Twixtor Pro setting for short scene :.

Hi all,

as i told in a diffrend thread im working on my shortmovie.
And i'm in postproduction stage at the moment,

i have gotten myself twixtor pro kit and as i am still learning it, i wanted to
know if somebody could help me out to slow down a short shot of a seat falling down a window.

If you can help me don't hesitate to reply,
cause i could really use some help on this!

Ps: if you want to i can mail you a copy of the scene, just ask me

thank you guys!

greets

Michaël.
Michael Claerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #97
Major Player

Image size for stills

My projects are now in HDV with the project declared 1080x1920. I have been using my digital camera images without first resizing. They are 3072x2048. I find the sizing and zooming infinitely better in PPro than old Premiere6.5. They look great on my TVs (both are 720p, so are 720x1280 or so). I have 2 gigs of RAM, run the excellent CineformAccessHD plugin and have not seen slugishness between frames. PPro1.5 did often crash when rendering more than three or four at a time, but I've done dozens at a time in PPro2.0 without problems.

In my book you should scan prints 4x6 and over plus negatives to aim for about 3000 pixels across the long edge for your archives. That would be about 500 or 600 dpi over 6 inches. More is usually beyond the resolution your camera/film/focus/steadyness can deliver. Unless your scans will only be for a one-off standard definition project, I'd say the above post's recommendation of 1000 across is a minimum. Stills done 1080x1440 looked VERY sharp, far sharper than my (then) Canon ZR70.

When I did use 6.5 (as your profiles show), I made a copy at 1080x1440 (square pixels 3:4) before importing. And yes, zooming in 6.5 was hopeless since I believe it knocked each image down to 480x720 BEFORE zooming. Stills done this way were VERY sharp, far sharper than video from my inexpensive Canon ZR70.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #98
Major Player

Adobe pp2 with 720 24p footage

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone here could give me some advice. I have a recent project shot on the hd100 24p hdv. I would like to edit natively and I believe the latest version of premiere can do this. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried this and could advise me of the relative merits and misgivings of doing so. I'd like to avoid any intermediate if I can and native sounds like a possible solution. However, I'm not sure what kind of set up I'm going to need in order to do this effectively. The project is mostly straight edits with some magic bullet thrown in i.e. no heavy cgi stuff. Although, I suppose even magic bullet effects are still pretty heavy going when editing natively but not sure.

Thanks in advance, Greg C.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Nevermind this post,

i have found out what settings to use the hard way

greets

Michaël.
Michael Claerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #100
Major Player

Longshot: are you using Cineform AccessHD

You didn't mention, but are you using Cineform AccessHD4 (for PPro2)? When first introduced, you had to keep old PPro1.5.1+AHD3.x on disc since a licensing issue requires it to export to cameta in PPro2. Expected to be cleared by AHD4.1. Good luck.

Last edited by Don Blish; April 27th, 2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #101
Major Player

Still images

Are you on old 6.5 or PPro? Old 6.5 would deal with .jpgs for days then suddenly go black - so I just took to using .tiffs for them. In PPro1.5.1 and now 2.0, it deals with my .jpgs fine. Prem6.5 had a 4000 pixel limit. I suppose HD capable PPro has a limit too but it must be quite high. My routine digicam pics are 3072x2304 and they size and zoom beautifully in my HDV projects.

If you do zoom out enough to not cover the frame, don't forget to put "new item"/"black video" under them...or you may get that ugly green on the edges.
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #102
Major Player

Dynamic Link substitute?

I got After Effects and Premiere Pro 2 on a student discount separately, but is there anyway to use Dynamic Link, or an equal substitute, without having to purchase the entire Prouduction Studio?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #103
Regular Crew

16:9 25p XL2 picture to APPro2.0 ?

hi all,

I have just started to shoot Xl2 for 1 months and now I tried to capture the footage to comp with Adobe premiere pro 2.0. The picture is PAL 16:9, 25p. in capture settings, there is no progressive sd or 25p.so I set 720x576 wide screen 1.422. but where XL2's native 960x576 image goes ? does it downrez to 720x576 wide screen or it keeps its resolution ? whats is the basic settings for capturing XL2 16x9 25p footage in Adobe pemiere pro2.0

thanks
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, no.
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #105
Regular Crew

While the XL2 has 960x576 pixels on the CCDs, it only records to tape at the DV standard anamorphic 720x576 (PAL) resolution.

I'm not sure about PAL, but in NTSC there were presets for standard and widescreen DV at 60i and 24P.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite