Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #166
Regular Crew

Two Premiere problems

First the viewing screen is extremely gittery...i know its not the footage. Some times it seems worse than others....

Second, when exporting as an avi it works but when trying to do it as a quicktime file it sends sudden error as soon as its done and then just stops...
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #167
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro Scratch Disks

Hi,

I was planning on configuring my drives as :

1 * 300MB - OS/Progs/ PPRo Projects
1 * 600GB Raid 0 (4*160GB 7200 drives) - Video Stock Footage/PPro Previews&scratch

I am editing DVCProHD, and also uncompressed 10 bit SD, and planning to add another 4 HD's my RAID so I can do uncompressed HD.

I want my previews & renders to be realtime, so is this the most optimal setup???

I will defrag the RAID 0 drive on a regular basis.

Thoughts?

Robert
Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #168
Major Player

When you say "terribly pixelated", does it look something like the Attached Image in this post?

/Roger
Attached Images

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #169
Major Player

Memory Usage - Ppro and general

Hi,

New day, new thread :-)

I just put 2gb extra mem in my box - making a total of 4gb mem.

In Win XP Pro Sp2 it shows up as 3gb and PAE(Physical Adress Extension).

Reading up on memory and XP my conclusion is this:

1. No program can allocate more than 2gb
2. If not /3G switch is set in boot.ini, then 3gb will be allocatable for programs and 1gb for the kernel. But only programs designed for this mode will use more than 2gb.

So obviously my questions are: Are any NLE optimised for 2gb+? Do we need more than 2gb? I say "no" - for me it's fine to have 2gb to PPro, 1gb for Photoshop and 1gb (more or less) for After Effects....

Here is a ref link to all startup options for Win XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

// Lazze - who still is rather *issed at PPro for not supporting any scripting.
Lars Siden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #170
Regular Crew

Not like that, actually looks like when the heads are dirty. Audio is fine and the problem is not with all captured clips, either way they all run fine on 6.5
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #171
Major Player

Auto Levels/Color/Contrast - Workflows and thoughts

Hi,

Background: I have 2 children which we try to film as much as possibly. This generates hours of footage. Main goal isn't to cut away that much since I consider this our "memory reserve". So I more or less take 1 hr Tape and transform it to 1hr DVD with menus and some extras. Then I can do "short short" 10 min films from the 1hr DVD to show "non family" :-)

With the above in mind I developed a plugin for Sony Vegas that takes a directory captured with Scenalyzer, adds the media in datetimeorder to the timeline excluding clips shorter than X seconds. I apply standard X-over. My plug also generates chaptermarkers at clipstart or at intervall X. I also get subtitle files for importing in DVD Architecht or Encore.

So as you see I've mostly been using Vegas. Now I have a new machine setup at home so I thought I'd give PPro 2 a go. So I though "a nice Auto levels/color/contrast". I fixed the project in Vegas as I use to, rendered to a 13gb AVI which I imported to PPro. Applied effects and checked the result on my TV set. Looked good - some yellow cast went away etc. So I let it process the whole file. When I check the result it is BAD :-) Everytime I have moved the camera so that the light changes or focus is running, the Auto XXX stuff has gone haywire. The scene "flickers" and I got other strange artefacts (the original footage .avi looks fine). So, is the conclusion here: There are no shortcuts? I have to check clip by clip to decide where and how much "level" or/and "color correction" I need? Or are there some parameters/options than I can use?

// Lars Siden - who now will take the 20D still camera for a spin :-)
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #172
Major Player

I had a similar problem with my Panasonic NV-DX100 and if you mail to support@mainconcept.de and describe your problem and ask them for a new file, MCDVD_32.DLL, they will send it to you. Do not forget to write what version of Premiere Pro you are using. Just replace the mcdvd_32.dll with the new one.

MCDVD_32.DLL is located in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5

Premiere Pro uses MainConcept's DV-codec, thats the reason to why you should contact MainConcept :)

If you want the file right away, send me a mail and i will send it to you. My adress is in my profile in this forum. (MCDVD_32.DLL Version 2.4.13 file size is 401 kB)

/Roger
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #173
Major Player

Going to 4GB and using the /3GB switch looks useful

As a retired IT guy I find Microsofts doc on the /3GB switch a bit vague. I also have 2GB and am considering adding 2GB and using the switch.

The doc says that RAM above the limit is reserved for the OS kernel. The question is whether it allows each app to request up to the limit for and lets them fight it out sending (paging) the "least recently used" (LRU) pages to disc.

I already discovered that PPro2/AspectHD4.1 and lots of 7 megapixel stills scaled on the timeline can use every scrap of RAM on my 2GB system. I worked around it by making still "proxys" of exactly 1080x1920 beforehand - but thats a bit inconvenient. So even if PPro ONLY uses up to 2GB, having 4 and the /3GB switch allows Photoshop, Bridge and misc stuff to be resident in the 2-3 GB band without infringing on PPro/HDVs demands.

With 2GB more being under $190, even for 533mhz strips why not do it?
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #174
Regular Crew

Compression for the Web using Premiere

Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could ask you guys what setting do you use in Premiere for showing videos for the web. A lot of movies show trailers on their website with great quality but less than 20MB.

I have been struggling in regards to compressing for the web. I have seen other videographer's 4 min demo with only 14 MB and the quality is awesome.
In the meantime, my video is also 4 mins. long..22MB..and the quality is not that great.

I use premiere pro 1.5 but Im not sure how to make quality looking video with a smaller size.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #175
Trustee

It depends on the subject matter, but I can generally get by with 512K using a 320X240 frame size. You might be able to reduce the frame rate as well. As I said. It all depends on the material.
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #176
Major Player

I have 4gb now.

When I had Premiere Pro 2 running and started After Effects 6.5 it said "0% of 2gb allocated". That implies that every program can if it wishes allocate a maximum of 2gb. The /3gb switch should give lets say After Effects the possibility to allocate 3gb(if the program supports it).

So for now, I'll have 4gb without the switch.

//Lazze
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #177
New Boot

Making it look like image is moving?

Hello all,
I've been working on a little project and it requires that I make an image look like its moving away from screen. I figured all that out and everything. I rendered all of it. The problem I'm getting is when I do a full screen preview the rotational movement I have the image doing is really choppy. Any help would be appriciated. Also, what should I make my project into so that I can put it on something like googlevideo or youtube? BTW I'm using Pro1.5
Charles A. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #178
Regular Crew

DVD Templates

Is there any other DVD templates available for PP2?
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #179
Trustee

I have not seen any. If anyone would like to contribute, I will be happy to host them on my site.
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #180
New Boot

Editing in Fields

Hi,

I have been wondering if it is possible to edit in fields. What i mean is, being able to make a cut in the center of a frame. Therefore making you capable of having one image staying only 1/50 of a second on the screen, instead of the 1/25... That frames allow. My camera records in fields, and is in no way capable of progressive mode. I just need to be able to control the edit in more detail. Hope you can help me! Thank you.
Dennis Jakobsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite