Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Looks like S$#^

Boy, you know you're rolling along doin' fine about 65 and then WHAM, Premiere smashup!!! I finished my trailer, a 1-min intro and went to export it and even though it looks great on the monitor in the build, it looks horrible after export. I'm merely clicking Adobe Media Encoder and selecting a simple preset. I've tried a few of them. Can anyone tell me if there's a preferred preset to be used for streaming from a server for my website AND what happens when I try to export to 720X480 to include within another project? This is Adobe 1.5 that I'm using to finish a project I started in it and ten I'm moving over to 2.0.
Joyce Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #137
Trustee

Exporting a DV AVO at 720X480 is done through Export > Movie and should be fairly straightforward. Select DV AVI eliminates a lot of choices. On purpose.

Exporting for a web site is usually done at 320X240 or so, and at around 512K data rate. Higher if quality is a serious issue.

Just remember that a preset is merely a suggestion and there are many ways to adjust the settings. It is more an art than a science and really depends on the footage. Someone on sand can be compressed a lot more than someone standing at the water's edge. Water is hard to compress. So telling you the exact settings is virtually impossible.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #138
Major Player

Thanks for the information.

I'm mastering to DVD. Also-I'm still learning color correction. CF has been very helpful - however... it has not been easy to learn the craft of color correction. Thanks again!

Tim
Tim Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #139
Major Player

Making DVDs from Premiere (no .mpeg2?)

This question is for a friend, so I'm not sure about all the details.

He is using Premiere. He has his project all edited and done and now he wants to export it to a format(s) that can be used to make a DVD with a third party DVD authoring software (ULead).

I've heard that DVDs use .mpg (mpeg2) video and .ac3 audio. But my friend says that he can't export from Premiere as .mpg (mpeg2).

How do you guys export as .mpg2 or do you not do that and there is some other way to make a DVD?
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #140
Major Player

Which version of Premiere? You can export to an Mpeg2 format through the Adobe Media Encoder. Choose File/Export/Adobe Media Encoder. Unless your friend is using the demo version of PPro 2.0, which doesn't have the ability to encode to Mpeg2.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #141
New Boot

Problem capturing analog

When I try to capture analog through my Pinnacle Moviebox (firewire), it shows on the capture screen in premiere.. and records for about five seconds.. then stops recording,.. popping up a prompt to save the file. Then, below that window, is a popup saying that recording ceased due to "no timecode detected.
"

There has to be a way to capture non-timecoded material through premiere.

Sound familiar to anyone?

J
Joseph B Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #142
Major Player

I'm not real clear on why you feel the need to purchase an additional card to capture HDV? We have been using PPro 2 with the JVC HD100 Cineform and edit in RT thanks to the Cineform codec.

The cards you are talking about are BNC component to capture the video stream pre-mpeg encoded before it hits the tape, in a form uncompressed (although some will argue the term "uncompressed" as the video signal is "pre-encoded" more than anything). You do not need to go this route, even less so if you have a workflow via firewire and don't wish to change for HDV. You can (in most cases, camera dependent) still use the firware option and work the same way you did with DV. Check out the Cineform codec, very fast playback/edit and no additional high cost of a card. Also works very well for keying, it's a clean signal even with compression.

I am still trying to decide on a video card as well, so no help there.

Good luck!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #143
Major Player

Not understanding ripple edits.

The Premiere Pro 2 help center says, concerning ripple edts, "The edit point is dragged earlier in time—shortening the preceding clip and the total program duration."

It doesn't seem to do this with me. When I use the ripple edit, the clip that I use it on just gets longer which the preceding clip stays the same length and the total program duration in fact gets longer, and not shorter.

The rolling edit seems to work as described, the clip I use the edit on gets longer while the preceding clip is shortened (the amount of frames I increase the in point on the one clip is the same amount of frames that the outclip of the preceding clip is shortened by)

Am I doing anything wrong concerning not getting the described result with the ripple edit? ...I've noticed that it does work, but only when I use it on the edit-out point of a clip.

Do any of you really make use of these tools? Especially the Slide and Slip tools, whose concept I can't seem to grasp either...

Is a:

Rolling edit: Used to lengthen one clip, while shortening the clip before it to keep the program duration the same.

Ripple edit: Lengthen one clip, while leaving the clip before it the same and lengthening the program duration (contrary to the what the help center says)

Slip Edit: Changes the In and Out points of the clip without lengthening or shortening it or otherwise changing it's duration

Slide Edit: It moves the location of the center clip earlier in the sequence and shortens the preceeding clip and lengthens the proceeding clip but leaves the center clip's duration unchanged.

Are these right?

Last edited by Aviv Hallale; May 15th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #144
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
Is a:

Rolling edit: Used to lengthen one clip, while shortening the clip before it to keep the program duration the same.

Ripple edit: Lengthen one clip, while leaving the clip before it the same and lengthening the program duration (contrary to the what the help center says)

Slip Edit: Changes the In and Out points of the clip without lengthening or shortening it or otherwise changing it's duration

Slide Edit: It moves the location of the center clip earlier in the sequence and shortens the preceeding clip and lengthens the proceeding clip but leaves the center clip's duration unchanged.

Are these right?
Your understanding is correct.

It's good to see the relations between the different edit tools and how you can get the same results with 2 different tools; though it might require more than one action. Try to go for the most efficient tool for what you need to do (and learn the shortcuts! You shouldn't even need to leave the tool selection bar open)

Ripple editing implies that the editing action pulls or pushes the rest of the program depending on whether you add or remove frames from the target clip. Usually this is the tool I use the most, but as my edit gets more complete, I tend to use the other tools more.

A rolling edit just moves the edit point left or right, without changing the position of either clips, and without changing the program duration. Very useful if your duration is locked (to music for instance); also, using it on the audio only (with Alt) lets you do an L or J cut. You could get the result of a rolling edit by using the ripple tool twice: one edit on the first clip and another on the second clip, but it's a lot faster to use the right tool for the job.

Slip doesn't move the target clip or change it's duration. But it changes the content of the clip. To get the result of a slip edit with the ripple tool, you would need to perform a ripple edit on the head of the clip and another ripple edit on the same clip's tail.

I never use slide edits. Never found a use for it.
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #145
New Boot

I still need help

Anyone with an answer, please help me out
Robert Holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #146
New Boot

I am using PPro1.5, and 4:3 footage, every time i overlay a QT file with an alpha channel, my footage widens when rendered
Robert Holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #147
New Boot

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regarding Cineform: does it allow you to edit the HDV stream directly? I heard somewhere else you need to convert to AVI first. Please let me know if that info is wrong.

My goal is to minimize all this formatting work in post as much as possible. That's why I was looking for an editing/capture card that would allow me to work with native HD / HDV footage. I got used to working on DV with a Canopus card, and it certainly did speed up my work process, since much of the DV processing and rendering is handled by the card, not by the CPU.

Are these types of cards no longer necessary with the upcoming dual and quad-core computers? I'm still using an Intel 3.2GHz, which can be slow with certain applications.
J.B. Soler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #148
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Soler
Thanks for your suggestions.

Regarding Cineform: does it allow you to edit the HDV stream directly? I heard somewhere else you need to convert to AVI first. Please let me know if that info is wrong.

My goal is to minimize all this formatting work in post as much as possible. That's why I was looking for an editing/capture card that would allow me to work with native HD / HDV footage. I got used to working on DV with a Canopus card, and it certainly did speed up my work process, since much of the DV processing and rendering is handled by the card, not by the CPU.

Are these types of cards no longer necessary with the upcoming dual and quad-core computers? I'm still using an Intel 3.2GHz, which can be slow with certain applications.
The Cineform codec gives a .avi output intermediate file for editing. The idea behind it is to allow you to edit in near real time (in Premiere Pro 2.0 using Aspect.) HDV native editing is processor intensive. Each frame relies on interpretation from the prior. When the HDV is Captured using the Cineform intermediate codec, it creates a frame by frame file. Much larger, but much easier to process.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM   #149
New Boot

Hollywood FX in Premiere 2.0

Does Pinnacle Hollywood FX work as a plugin for Premiere 2.0 pro? If so, how does one add it?
Ryan Mellish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:53 AM   #150
New Boot

Dropped Frames in Premiere Pro

Well I finally got around to editing on my new computer, and I just finally borrowed a digital Hi-8 to dump all the footage I wanted to edit onto my computer. So I'm capturing and then Premiere starts to drop frames and then when I go to watch the footage in Premiere it's all choppy.

My editing computer:
P4 3.0 GhzE
Asus P4V8X-MX s478 mATX AGP Motherboard
OCZ 1GB 400MHz RAM
200 GB Sata
StarTech PCI1394-2 2 Port IEEE-1394 PCI
ATI Radeon 8500 128MB

So I think it's my computer or something, because I haven't ran into this problem before when I edited at my old school.

Also I'm pretty new to the whole world, so I don't really know the terminology.

So thanks for your help. It's really appreciated.

Later.

- Matt
Matt Throop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite