Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 28th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #241
Major Player

converting to 25p in premiere (not just 25fps?)

Hi, I am after getting a Panasonic DVX100 as it does a 25p shooting mode (pal version). I think i have read somewhere it is possible to convert the footage I have shot on my canon xl1s to 25fps in premiere.. is this right.
Assuming it is I was wondering if this 25fps would still be interlaced and if there is anyway to make it progressive and would this give it exactly the same effect as would be achieved by shooting in 25p mode on the panasonic dvx100??
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #242
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro 2 and XL1s

Hey everyone,

I am very close to purchasing Adobe Premiere Pro 2, and I just reallzed something. On the adobe website, it gives a list of DV cameras the software is compatible with. The canon XL2 is on the list, but the Canon Xl1s (or XL1) is not. When I found a link to a list of compatible cameras for Pro 1.5, Canon XL1s was on the list.

Does this mean that the Canon XL1s is NOT compatible with Premiere Pro 2? I already tried emailing Adobe, but have not recieved a response after four days. Thank you very much for your help,

~Clint Grant~
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #243
Tourist

PPro 1.5 - date/time not recorded...

I may have made a major blunder. Recorded 8 tapes with a LOT of small clips on my XL1. But forgot to set date/time on camera... I had hoped PPro 1.5 could autodetect the clips individually, so I could edit it all together, but I get this error:

"Date/time not recorded and is required for scene detection."

On p54 in my manual for the XL1, I get the clear impression, that the code is recorded nevertheless (really doesnt matter if it says 12.34.13 or 00.00.00). Anyone have a workaround for this?
Jesper Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #244
Tourist

I have the XL1 and have no problems with PPro whatsoever... not the s-version though, but in my PPro 1.5 the XL1S is in the device-controls and I dont think they have removed it for PPro 2...
Jesper Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #245
Tourist

Captured HDV with Premiere, now what?

Hey All,

I have shot some stuff with an Xl-H1 in 24f mode, and i'm now capturing it in in premiere 2.0 with their new HDV presets for the canon xl-h1 which were released on June 26. I'm not using an intermediate codec like cineform, just adobe's default HDV capture.

The video files are showing up as mpegs, but no other program other than premiere can open them up, not even After Effects. What's with that?

Does premiere capture the file in a format that can only be read by Premiere? If so what do I do when I need to comp in some CG in After Effects? Do I export those clips that need the CG added as some other file?

If so, what type of file would be the best to use, .MOV? .Avi?, something else?

Thanks,

-Kevin
Kevin Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #246
Major Player

Without setting the date/time on the camcorder, it cannot embed the information into the DV data. It will record the timecode, though.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do other than go through the captured files and manually cut them at the right points.

Scene detection simply works by looking for discontinuities in the date/time.

It is possible to detect scenes based on the content of each frame but I don't know how good current programs are at that nor if your footage would work well that way. A few years ago, I developed a program to work with EditDV (R.I.P. - a great program) that detected scenes based on image content. Though I still have the original code (called Rough Cut) , it was based around Quicktime since that's what EditDV used.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #247
Trustee

Scenalyzer may be a solution for you, since it has image-change as one of its options for scene detection.

http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html

Quote: "It splits the scenes based on the recording-time embedded in the DV-streams, or based on optical content."
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #248
Regular Crew

Thanks for letting me know, it's a bit reassuring.

~Clint Grant~
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:25 AM   #249
Regular Crew

problem using the "screen key" in premiere pro 2.0

Hi, i have premiere pro 2.0 and when i apply the screen key for example:

layer 1: picnic scene
layer 2: smoke

when i apply the screen key to layer two, it works great, but when i do anything to the layer 2 or 1 the screen key will just stop working, and i have to undo what ever i changed. its really weird. in after effects i never have any problems, but i dont have ae available right now. so please help me thanks -Nick
Nick Posen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:15 AM   #250
Major Player

PP1.5 and Canon’s XL2

What settings are you using to set-up new projects for widescreen format?
Are you using 720 x 480 or 960 x 480 as Canon says is the native format size or something else?

Then when you are all done and you export what settings are you using?
.9, widescreen 1.2, another?

I am having trouble getting my 16:9 widescreen video to look correct.
So I must be doing some thing wrong and need some guidance.

Thank you,
Bill
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM   #251
Regular Crew

The way PPRO applies the screen key is kinda bad. In the effects window, make sure the screen key appears AFTER any other effects. But some effects just don't play nice with the screen key. Opacity changes and video transitions also cancel the effects of the screen key. You might want to use a nested composition to add effects to your top layer.
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #252
Regular Crew

Picture in Picture video problem

I am trying to have a piece of video playing over another piece of video (picture inside of another picture). The full size video is fine; it the smaller picture with the problems. My problem is that I have black lines on both sides of the small picture. Anyone know what is going on and how to fix this problem?

I am using Priemere Pro (1.0) and have captured the video from a Canon XL1 camera (minDV tape).

Cheers!
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #253
Regular Crew

Is the small video 4:3 and the project 16:9? If so you could right click on the small video timeline and change the aspect ratio by clicking on Interpret Footage.

You could also the crop video effect on the small video timeline to crop out the black space.

Barry
Barry Oppenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #254
Wrangler

Hi Jon,

Its probably the blanking you are seeing.

Video cameras etc don't record all pixels In the video frame. This is normally not noticed when viewed on a Tv monitor - being it is outside the safe margin area. However when the video 'frame' is made smaller you will notice the blanking.

As mentioned by Barry, simply find the crop tool in the video effects bin and apply to the video.

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #255
Regular Crew

Thanks for info and suggestions.

I tried the 'Crop' settings and it took care of the problem.
You guys are great!

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite